Wiki Posts
Search

LiPo Lacking power?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default LiPo Lacking power?!

Hey guys,
So I bought a used Micro-T on ebay and the seller said in the add that the stock battery and (included) Losi 180mah LiPo battery both had about 4 runs on them.
The truck, he said, had about 8 runs on it. Everything looks to be in very good condition and the stock battery puts out wheelie popping power and speeds of about 10-12 MPH with the 12 tooth pinion.
The stock battery takes a nice 20 minute charge well and provides runtimes of about 8-10 minutes.

The Lipo (and yes I have the right wall charger) is another story. The top speed is definitely much faster, although I'm not quite sure its the ~18 MPH that people claim it is.
It lacks in power, though. It can barely pop a wheelie when fresh off the charger. It accelerates slower than the stock battery. Also, it starts to fade in power after about 5-7 minutes. I charged it and it only took a 45 minute (rather than 60 minute) charge.

I'm really not sure what's going on. I trust that the seller wasn't lying completely about the number of runs, but the battery itself looks to be in good condition and the truck/motor is definitely not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gorod17
Hey guys,
So I bought a used Micro-T on ebay and the seller said in the add that the stock battery and (included) Losi 180mah LiPo battery both had about 4 runs on them.
The truck, he said, had about 8 runs on it. Everything looks to be in very good condition and the stock battery puts out wheelie popping power and speeds of about 10-12 MPH with the 12 tooth pinion.
The stock battery takes a nice 20 minute charge well and provides runtimes of about 8-10 minutes.

The Lipo (and yes I have the right wall charger) is another story. The top speed is definitely much faster, although I'm not quite sure its the ~18 MPH that people claim it is.
It lacks in power, though. It can barely pop a wheelie when fresh off the charger. It accelerates slower than the stock battery. Also, it starts to fade in power after about 5-7 minutes. I charged it and it only took a 45 minute (rather than 60 minute) charge.

I'm really not sure what's going on. I trust that the seller wasn't lying completely about the number of runs, but the battery itself looks to be in good condition and the truck/motor is definitely not the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Well since the batteries are relatively cheap, I would get a new Li-Po and see if that helps with performance (should be like $30 tops). If that pack provides good power you know that the previous owner BS'ed you with the amount of runs on the battery. There is also the possibility that the battery was just a bad battery in general. I have heard from people that they too were having problems with the battery. Either way you are going to probably want another battery anyway so that would be your best bet.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

I was hoping to not have to spend any more money on this thing.
I got the truck with lipo battery an extra body and extra wheels tires for $75 shipped. If the Lipo was good, that would be a good deal. However, if I have to spend another $30 then I basically could have bought a new truck and the lipo for about the same price.

You sure there's no way to revive the power? Cycling perhaps? Or is lipo completely different from Nimh?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lipos dont get cycled...get a good batt. some lipos are have no punch and others do. i have a maxamps lipo and its a pile of dog doo. my nimh are much better so i just run them i get the same run time more or less and more rip. or just buy a high end lipo
Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gweed
lipos dont get cycled...get a good batt. some lipos are have no punch and others do. i have a maxamps lipo and its a pile of dog doo. my nimh are much better so i just run them i get the same run time more or less and more rip. or just buy a high end lipo
Maxamps are usually good packs. Is yours just wore out or has been below cut voltage much?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trerc
Maxamps are usually good packs. Is yours just wore out or has been below cut voltage much?
no i have the cut off on my mongoose and i've only used it 10 or 20 timescause its slow. plus its never hit cut off. idk why. my 1500 nimh gives me more than enough rip but the 2200 and 3300 saddle maxamp lipos are sub prime the 3300 lasts awhile but barely fits eventhough they said it was ment and built for the mini inferno. they are great to tool aruond with but if i'm gonna race the nimh seems to be better.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gorod17
Hey guys,

Anyone have any ideas?
I'm thinking that maybe during shipping from the seller to yourself that the Lipo was in the cold weather too long. Lipo's don't like getting real cold. I hear it's hard on them according to the experts I've talked to. I've been running the same (4) Lipo's for over two years now and I haven't had a lick of problems at all. Every 3rd or 4th charge I usually put a balancer on the pack while it's charging. You may want to try that.....maybe it will bring it back to life again. But be careful, if you squeeze the Lipo and it feels somewhat puffy, it's probably a sign that it's bad. Don't charge it if it feels very puffy...it's dangerous!!! Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by all4fun
I'm thinking that maybe during shipping from the seller to yourself that the Lipo was in the cold weather too long. Lipo's don't like getting real cold. I hear it's hard on them according to the experts I've talked to. I've been running the same (4) Lipo's for over two years now and I haven't had a lick of problems at all. Every 3rd or 4th charge I usually put a balancer on the pack while it's charging. You may want to try that.....maybe it will bring it back to life again. But be careful, if you squeeze the Lipo and it feels somewhat puffy, it's probably a sign that it's bad. Don't charge it if it feels very puffy...it's dangerous!!! Good luck.
dude i live in ny and leave my stuff in my car more oftern than not when its 5 degrees or 100 degrees and my 1/10 lipos are like new just my mini lipo sux
Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

dude i live in ny and leave my stuff in my car more oftern than not when its 5 degrees or 100 degrees and my 1/10 lipos are like new just my mini lipo sux

seems odd about the lipo... although it seems I have "heard" that some lipos lack torque punch that some NiMH's might have. I have not experienced that difference myself though.
what is the "C" rating on your lipo? 15 with 20C bursts?

I wouldn't expect any long run times out of a 180mah lipo though, it's near the same as the stock battery I think.

I just picked up some of the 300mah DT lipo's for my Micro-DT, but to my dismay, I don't have any way of charging it on my lipo charger... I either need a converter, or to get the Losi wall charger. I think these should give me nice long run-times though!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Depending on your C rating. Thats what you get to give it that punch to pup wheelies.

the mah will determine your run time.

You said its like a 180mAh, so thats not much runtime and at that mAh i highly doubt the C rating is anything decent to pop wheelies.

Nimhs are getting cheap now since every one is getting lipos.

I personally still use Nimhs, not having weight irritates me, the car handles so much more different with lipo. weight, power and such. Price wise also still way too expensive...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

the c rateing isnt on the packs i think its just max amps.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

i think smc or orion need to make mini saddle lipo and mini stick lipos so i know what im getting and dont get lipos that might fit or might not cause maxamps makes the lipo to order and the 3300 that was supposed to fit but hits the rear arms on my half 8 and they told me they cant really do anything about it. i guess because of that and the lack of power i'm really just not happy with the 100+ dollars i spent on both of them thinking i was getting something good instead i got crap.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

dude....sounds like you need to get a new mini lipo
Old 01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Suspended

consider yourself lucky, very lucky
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RobbieT
consider yourself lucky, very lucky
why? i have 10+ lipos and do the same with all not one problem yet. they are all like the first day i ran them, just the max amps suck in my opinion. i've been doing it for well over a year now aswell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.