Wiki Posts
Search

castle creation

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Just because he a team driver (i am too), doesnt mean its biased. If you read the thread its from, hes answering the same question you are asking now(see here).

In my experiences, the pro is a bit smoother than the sidewinder, escpecially in the bigger cars (my experience is with a recoil), because of the better fets.
true, but like you said, it just depends on the driver. You may be more honest than him, and vice versa. Smoothness can be altered with better firmware and maybe its just the help of keeping the fets cool. I think thats the real big difference. When fets get hot, they become inefficient. Keeping fets wrapped in shrink wrap(sidewinder) definitely does not help in keeping the fets cool and to perform their best.

I do know that the fets are the same. I can pm you the part number of the fets, you can check, and tell me whether I'm right or wrong. Fets are on both sides of the pcb.

The only way I would be wrong is that they changed fets recently, but I doubt it. I don't think castle would need to upgrade a product that already works great for 99% of the people
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

the only difference i can know of between them is that sidewinder is for really light cars, IE M18,Micro RS4, Vendetta TC. the micro pro is for 18th scale
trucks. i ve put both in a 18t with the exact same settings and same 7.4v lipo the sidewinder got a little on the hot side, while the micro pro stayed pretty cool. IT"S A WEIGHT ISSUE BETWEEN THE TWO.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like another argument as to why a heatsink helps.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dark_gouki
the only difference i can know of between them is that sidewinder is for really light cars, IE M18,Micro RS4, Vendetta TC. the micro pro is for 18th scale trucks. i ve put both in a 18t with the exact same settings and same 7.4v lipo the sidewinder got a little on the hot side, while the micro pro stayed pretty cool. IT"S A WEIGHT ISSUE BETWEEN THE TWO.

Micro Pro = 1 oz (28.35 g)
Sidewinder = 0.9 oz (24.5 g)

3.85 grams TOTAL DIFFERENCE

(for comparison sake, a modern penny weighs 2.5 grams)

In addition, I don't know where you're getting the idea that micro TCs are "really light cars." While I'm sure the pro-version of anything is going to be lighter than its stock counterpart, even Associated notes in their own factory specs that their 18R is heavier than their 18T (probably because of the body posts and things) so my guess the same could be said of the other manufacturer's entries as well especially when you factor in the larger bodies and the big heavy bumpers so many of them use.

RC18T rtr = 540g
RC18R rtr = 590g

http://67.199.85.166/main/maincatego...v=nav_kitsrtrs
Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

ON the other hand i stuck both in my micro rs4 and neither one got anywhere close to warm, which lead me to believe that vehicle weight has a lot to do with it.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Suspended

At 14.3 oz. (405g), I wouldn't doubt that a roughly 25% decrease would help.

But since the RS4 has seen its day of leading the 1/18th field pass long ago I don't think it's of much relevance.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks for the responses guys. I already bought the micro pro a month ago. I was worried because most of the pictures of rc18's show the sidewinder.
I just bash my car