1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default 1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid

hey guys. I run Iwaver 1/24 cars because I like the idea of a replaceable/upgradeable servo. But their rear suspensions have left a little to be desired. So in an epiphany of cobbling madness I came up with this idea.

The car on the track is much more planted in the rear end.So far no negative handling characteristics have been seen, only positive.

The conversion was cheap,10.00 for the iwaver carbon chassis and 20.00 for the 3racing rear pod and center shock.
It was simple.Cutting the rear of the Iwaver chassis away, and machining a pocket for the mr02 style plate to sit in,drilling 2 holes and bolting it on.

wheelbase is still 98mm.can be adjusted out to 106mm

next I will be adding a tube style damper for side damping.
I also included a steering mod I did using GPM shock ends for the mini-t for the servo link and .5 carbon fiber for the steering link.It centers perfectly now, with zero slop in the steering.
Attached Thumbnails 1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1362.jpg   1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1363.jpg   1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1364.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Awesome mod! Where can I get my hands on these Iwavers?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

you can get iwaver RTR sets from toyeast.com .They carry hop-ups for them like the alloy front end I am running,carbon fiber chassis,etc.

the RTR's them selves are dirt cheap right now.like 39.99 +shipping. so it was 55.00 to get one delivered.

Many mini-z mr-02 parts are interchangeable with them.rims tires ball diffs, bodies.

be warned though, my chassis looks nothing like a stock out of the box car.I will post a pic of my son's so you can see the difference.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Here sre some pics of a stock iwaver 01. This is my son's car.It even has a couple upgrades.
Ball diff ($10)
ball bearings($5)
But other than that it is stock.But really those 3 upgrades are the same basic ones to make the mini-z's better box stock racers, and for half the cost.

The carbon chassis and alloy front end can be found @ toyeast in the metalic parts listing for the o2m. The 01 and the 02m share alot of parts.entire chassis and front end, battery box, where the difference comes in is the o2m comes with a FM radio and a spring suspension style rear end.I converted my 01 over to the 02m rear end and the handling was a little better than the 01 rear end, but the mr-02 rear end conversion is the cat's ass!!!
Attached Thumbnails 1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1365.jpg   1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1366.jpg   1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1367.jpg   1/24 iwaver/mr02 hybrid-100_1368.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

iwavers 02 really looks good, especially when you go for the carbon and alu options! the only negative about them is that they are not as fast as a mr02 around the track. dont matter how good the setup is a good setuped mr02 is faster.. but if you arent competing and want a car that looks fast even on the bench the iwaver is the one
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hatebreed
iwavers 02 really looks good, especially when you go for the carbon and alu options! the only negative about them is that they are not as fast as a mr02 around the track. dont matter how good the setup is a good setuped mr02 is faster.. but if you arent competing and want a car that looks fast even on the bench the iwaver is the one
I always thought it was the electronics, not very dependable. Sounds like 2wdMod got a good one, which does make it a great bargain.

Just checked, I guess tower no longer carries the iwaver 02m, but that used to be another source.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Nope , tower hasnt carried the Iwaver cars for almost 2 yrs now.

The electronics have always been their weak point.I started building this chassis up to actually eliminate the stock electronics

Now that the handling is up to par,which I did add a tube style roll damper yesterday evening, I will be doing an electronics swap within the week.Car will be running;
spektrum sr3500 receiver
Losi excellerin 10,050 BL system for the micro t
futaba digital micro servo (dont recall the number)

after I get that rolling and tuned in I will be searching up a 7.4v 2s li-po in the 700-800 mah range.

this thing will be a beast on whatever size track I run it on.
epa and dual rate on the M8 I run will mean I can tune it down to run on small tracks .
while at the touch of a button I will be able to max it out for large tracks

The 3 racing rear pod conversion was done as an experiement,now that I know the handling benefits greatly, i will change over to the PN racing LCG pod which lowers the center of gravity of the motor to it's lowest possible point.And I will be able to tune using standard MR-02 style H-plates In the rear.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
Nope , tower hasnt carried the Iwaver cars for almost 2 yrs now.

The electronics have always been their weak point.I started building this chassis up to actually eliminate the stock electronics

Now that the handling is up to par,which I did add a tube style roll damper yesterday evening, I will be doing an electronics swap within the week.Car will be running;
spektrum sr3500 receiver
Losi excellerin 10,050 BL system for the micro t
futaba digital micro servo (dont recall the number)

after I get that rolling and tuned in I will be searching up a 7.4v 2s li-po in the 700-800 mah range.

this thing will be a beast on whatever size track I run it on.
epa and dual rate on the M8 I run will mean I can tune it down to run on small tracks .
while at the touch of a button I will be able to max it out for large tracks

The 3 racing rear pod conversion was done as an experiement,now that I know the handling benefits greatly, i will change over to the PN racing LCG pod which lowers the center of gravity of the motor to it's lowest possible point.And I will be able to tune using standard MR-02 style H-plates In the rear.

Nice! Please post when you are done. Can't wait to see it.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up nanoracer 2.0

hai ,this is my oponion on i waver , one thing i hate about i waver , is their steering mechanism , i use nanoracer2.0 this car is a clone of MR-02 , you can even use mr02 hop up , 1 thing is you do not need an expensive car like awd to compete with , i even get no 1 b main , i am the only 1 that use a nanoracer ,the others is using awd , you can look it in malaysian rc racer and search for indoor racing klang if you guys are visiting malaysia come and join us hope to see you guys... sorry for my poor english , english is not my first language