Community
Wiki Posts
Search

would like get my 4yr old a 1/18th

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
I got one sitting here actually on my desk...., but I think I'll have less issues with a 2WD for maintenance and parts breakage.....

But it's 10$ cheaper at A Main right now than the others.....so really tempting

They haven't been selling really well, so maybe they're blowing them out.
My main concern is that since the MLST2 is a big heavy dual/mod motor truck if a 4-cell pack would have enough grunt to even get it moving good.

I know you've been talking about Losi's, but since your son wants a truck have you taken a look at the Vendetta ST? It's got a crappy radio, but from my experience they are pretty bullet proof, and I was was just chatting with a buddy of mine and he has his son's rigged with a 5-cell pack and says it gets around fine and he lets him run it at the local nitro track when he's practicing and it gets around great.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Yeah....for the money it has better parts....aluminum shocks, metal gear diffs, etc.....

I wonder if I can pull out 1 of the motors as well?
I cant really recall how they have the motors wired off the esc on them..Are they independent or is the speedo one out put with the motors wired in series?
Regardless I bet you could run it with 1 motor on 4 cells and it would be happy.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WFO7640
They haven't been selling really well, so maybe they're blowing them out.
My main concern is that since the MLST2 is a big heavy dual/mod motor truck if a 4-cell pack would have enough grunt to even get it moving good.

I know you've been talking about Losi's, but since your son wants a truck have you taken a look at the Vendetta ST? It's got a crappy radio, but from my experience they are pretty bullet proof, and I was was just chatting with a buddy of mine and he has his son's rigged with a 5-cell pack and says it gets around fine and he lets him run it at the local nitro track when he's practicing and it gets around great.
Yeah, vendettas are nice too...I had a couple Mamba ones...for a while, sold them off last summer to get something else....that I can't even remember right now...here is one of them:

I have gone threw so much RC stuff it's silly.....
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Suspended

Yeah, vendettas are nice too...I had a couple Mamba ones...for a while, sold them off last summer to get something else....that I can't even remember right now...here is one of them:

I have gone threw so much RC stuff it's silly.....
It was just an idea I was throwing out. There was so much wrong with the first vendettas, but they addressed most of it on the ST model other than the junky radio But you would know then the drivetrain is sealed, and 4wd would be easier for him to drive and it has bigger tires and is wider than the buggy, and the new PBS front suspension and bigger shocks on them really fixes the fagility problems of the early models.
And it's a TRUCK
Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It was just an idea I was throwing out. There was so much wrong with the first vendettas, but they addressed most of it on the ST model other than the junky radio But you would know then the drivetrain is sealed, and 4wd would be easier for him to drive and it has bigger tires and is wider than the buggy, and the new PBS front suspension and bigger shocks on them really fixes the fagility problems of the early models.
And it's a TRUCK
I can vouch for that!!I owned both the buggy and truck. The truck is a tank!! very tough!! Just the stock radio blows!!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I can vouch for that!!I owned both the buggy and truck. The truck is a tank!! very tough!! Just the stock radio blows!!
I've seen instances where guys have been selling the stock 2.4ghz losi systems pretty cheaply, ebay and here and there. Just another thought.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

I've seen instances where guys have been selling the stock 2.4ghz losi systems pretty cheaply, ebay and here and there. Just another thought.
Um...yeah....I'm one of those guys...
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Get any mini and a used jr radio and turn down the throttle end point adjustment, also at the clubs around me you buy used a dx2 with 2 recievers for $75 I think they have epa just no dual rate.Just a thought.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Spektrum RADIOS sell pretty cheaply. It's the silly RECEIVERS that folks want gold and platinum for.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

I think i have decided on a Mini-T for my kid to play with. cheap, can run on 4 AA's which I have a ton of, and obviously highly upgradable in the future when he gets better.

I put a request in the wanted section for a stock one. IF I can't find one around 50ish shipped, I'll just wait for my A Main hobby points to build up a bit. I have 25$ credit right now, and should have 55$ more by next week or so.....

80$ off a new Mini-T sounds like a good deal to me