Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
First time 1/18th-er. What should I get? >

First time 1/18th-er. What should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time 1/18th-er. What should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andersonr
I will be doing off road. It appears that team associated and losi are supported by my lhs. So either one of those I guess. Are their any hop ups I should get right out of the gate? Thanks.
The search function at rc tech works wonders. You should try it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaejw1
so supporting my lhs/track i do so buy buying lil things i may need.. there are plenty others that buy from them,,, minis arent really supported.. and not everyone run what track shop carries.. and the track shop cant carry EVERY brand name..

i give worst case scenario cause that is what i have had to deal with for the last 2-3 years..

do whats best for you and your pocket book. but just know that there are options out there.. hopefully your LHS will work with you..
MY POINT EXACTLY, BUYING ONLY YOUR LITTLE THINGS OR PAYING RACE FEES DOESN'T SUPPORT THE HOBBY SHOP. THAT'S WHY BEING ALLOWED TO RACE THERE AT ALL SHOULD BE TREATED AS MORE OF A GIFT SINCE YOU AREN'T REALLY SUPPORTING EITHER ONE. YOUR OTHER CHOICE WOULD BE TO BUY A CAR THEY ACTUALLY DO CARRY AND RACE ONE OF THE LARGER SCALES. I MEAN IF YOUR LOCAL TRACK IS SEPERATE FROM A SHOP THEN THE GLOVES ARE OFF RELATIVE TO WHERE YOU SHOULD BUY STUFF.

WORSE CASE SCENARIO IS THAT THE HOBBY SHOP AND TRACK CLOSES FROM SIMILAR LACK OF SUPPORT. I'VE SEEN IT TOO MANY TIMES.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WFO7640
MY POINT EXACTLY, BUYING ONLY YOUR LITTLE THINGS OR PAYING RACE FEES DOESN'T SUPPORT THE HOBBY SHOP. THAT'S WHY BEING ALLOWED TO RACE THERE AT ALL SHOULD BE TREATED AS MORE OF A GIFT SINCE YOU AREN'T REALLY SUPPORTING EITHER ONE. YOUR OTHER CHOICE WOULD BE TO BUY A CAR THEY ACTUALLY DO CARRY AND RACE ONE OF THE LARGER SCALES. I MEAN IF YOUR LOCAL TRACK IS SEPERATE FROM A SHOP THEN THE GLOVES ARE OFF RELATIVE TO WHERE YOU SHOULD BUY STUFF.

WORSE CASE SCENARIO IS THAT THE HOBBY SHOP AND TRACK CLOSES FROM SIMILAR LACK OF SUPPORT. I'VE SEEN IT TOO MANY TIMES.
Rob,
Why are you typing in all caps?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by punkboy
IMO, if you're looking at racing 1/18 on-road, you're going to want an Xray M18 Pro with an Exotek chassis and Atomic threaded shocks and lowering springs.
What is wrong with the standard M18 Pro chassis?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

we can go around in circles on this one.. every region has to do what they have to... and out here.. practice fees are 15bux and to race is 20bux... and with more than 300 ppl showing up a week,, the track has no problems staying open.. with 3 races a week and about 5 or more classes each race day.. i think they will survive even without the hobby shop...

ANDERSONR... dont know where your from,, but buy what suites you.. and get all the help you can from others at the track,,, its all about having fun and making friends..
Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by theshapeofrain
Rob,
Why are you typing in all caps?
dEAN,cHUCK,bILL,bUFORD
tHE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK? wHY DO YOU CARE?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaejw1
we can go around in circles on this one.. every region has to do what they have to... and out here.. practice fees are 15bux and to race is 20bux... and with more than 300 ppl showing up a week,, the track has no problems staying open.. with 3 races a week and about 5 or more classes each race day.. i think they will survive even without the hobby shop...

ANDERSONR... dont know where your from,, but buy what suites you.. and get all the help you can from others at the track,,, its all about having fun and making friends..
TRUE.. BUT DIDN'T YOU SAY BEFORE YOU HAD A TRACK CLOSE DOWN?
I WONDER WHY?

andersonr.. AS ANOTHER PERSON SAID, THE THOUGHT ALWAYS HAS BEEN TO BUY WHAT YOUR NEARBY HOBBY SHOP SELLS IF FOR NOT OTHER REASON THAN TO HAVE EASY ACCESS TO SPARE PARTS. BOTH LOSI AND ASSOCIATED MAKES GOOD PRODUCTS, BUT SPEND A DAY AT THE TRACK AND ASK YOUR LOCAL RACERS WHAT THEY RUN TO GET A BETTER IDEA WHAT TO GET. HARD TO GO WRONG.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up back to the question

I agree 100% with Punkboy. I also suggest you go to your local track and see what the local fast guys are running. This is especially helpful if you are new to the hobby and would like some help from others in the future. Also if you get something that the Hobby Shop sell and stocks you don't need to worry about buying a ton of parts because they will more than likely be available to you when you need them "at the track".

I do believe you said you were running off road and your choices were between the Associated and the Losi cars. Both companies make very fine products with tons of support. If you are running on carpet either one will do fine, but if you are on the dirt the 4wd Associated car should be a little easier to handle. There are a few suggestions I would give to you for the AE car:
  • a buggy has a body that will help keep dirt out and a wing to help in jumping
  • mip cvd's are probably #1
  • adjustable aluminum shocks if not the factory team kit
  • titanium turnbuckles - the lunsford set is salty but it is by far the best
  • i would use a metal gear servo--the hitec 65mg fits (you can send me a PM if you want info on steering racks and ect there are a couple options)
  • that should get you going
  • there are a couple good tuning tips also if you are interested

If you are interested in the Losi cars I would suggest their new desert/stadium truck with the extended chassis. It seems to jump and handle pretty well.

You are welcome to ask me any questions concerning off road and/or 18th scale that you wish. That is my thing, dirt or no dirt, the more the car is in the air the happier I am.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

TRUE.. BUT DIDN'T YOU SAY BEFORE YOU HAD A TRACK CLOSE DOWN?
I WONDER WHY?

the track closed down because the owner of the building didnnt want to re-up the lease.. .. so when the lease ran out the track closed...

the track was doing great but the owner of the building wanted to do something else.. so it had nothing to do with the money the track/hobby shop was making..