Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Mini LST2 Brushless conversion-Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi Mini LST2 Brushless conversion-Help

Hi Guys,

I have a 1:18 scale Losi Mini LST2, it currently has 2 brushed motors, running off one ESC and one battery. I want o convert it to brushless using the 1:18 Castle creations ESC and Brushless Motor Combo either the Sidewinder or the Micro Mamba Pro. I need input from you regarding the following.

1. What KV motor to use for optimum balance of power/torque and running cold without too much strain on the drivetrain/differential. They come in 4200 ,5400 ,6800 and 8000. I currently am planning to use the 5400KV sidewinder combo as it is on sale for $84.99 at Tower hobbies.

2. Do I just remove the two motors and install the brushless motor in one of the slots, or any other strategy is required. Please be detailed in describing this step.

3. Will I need to change the current pinion/spur or other parts of the drivetrain to handle the additional stress of the brushless system. I plan to use 2 Cell Lipos not the 3 Cell ones.

Please be detailed as I am a novice to the Micro RC scene.

Thanks for your forthcoming recommendations.

Nightrunner.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default -

in my opinion the 5400 or 6800 would be best for a balance. and i would drop one or two teeth on the pinion. hope that helps and if u have any further ?'s let me know!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A 24mm can would be happier pushing a heavy mini-LST than a 20mm Mamba can. The sidewinder ESC is enough to power the truck, you won't need a MMP. I'd recommend the 4400kv 24x35 motor at hobbycity.com.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

2. Do I just remove the two motors and install the brushless motor in one of the slots, or any other strategy is required. Please be detailed in describing this step.

Yes, basically. You will need to re-adjust gear mesh, but meshing 1 motor is still easier than trying to do 2 Watch the plugs you end up with. Make sure they will still match up with your charger end and will be stout enough to do a good job. The Castle bullets do ok, but Deans are always a good buy.

If you stick with a Castle ESC, look at their USB programer. While not necassary, it will make adjusting your setting alot easier. Good luck and have fun
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for responding,

With your help, I think I can handle the conversion now. Am ordering the CC Sidewinder brushless combo today along with Lipos and Deans connectors. I have/will be converting all my Electric Vehicles/Batteries to Deans connectors and have upgraded to thicker wires wherever possible. I think I will do the same with this truck too. Am planning to get some combinations of spurs/pinions too and try them to see what suits the truck best.

Will keep you posted for additional suggestions once the parts arrive.

Best regards,

Nightrunner
Old 02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Initiate

I have the 8000kv Sidewinder motor and the sidewinder esc.
I'm planning to put this in my mlst2, but then the question comes up.
Pinion And/or spur.
Is the pinion normal 48p?
If it is i will buy the 18,19 and 20t 48p pinion.
If not, any other reccomendations? I don't really wanna ruin my diffs, and don't have money to order vicous diffs. atm.
In a month or so I will order the vicous diff set, and maybe MIP CVD axles.
If i get that, is there anything else I need?
Is there any titanium/aluminium spurs out there?
Or, will the spur break/wear out with this?

- Sincerely, Eivind.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TurboTangen
I have the 8000kv Sidewinder motor and the sidewinder esc.
I'm planning to put this in my mlst2, but then the question comes up.
Pinion And/or spur.
Is the pinion normal 48p?
If it is i will buy the 18,19 and 20t 48p pinion.
If not, any other reccomendations? I don't really wanna ruin my diffs, and don't have money to order vicous diffs. atm.
In a month or so I will order the vicous diff set, and maybe MIP CVD axles.
If i get that, is there anything else I need?
Is there any titanium/aluminium spurs out there?
Or, will the spur break/wear out with this?

- Sincerely, Eivind.
  • yes. the gears are 48 pitch.
  • you will need to step down your pinion size (from stock). b/c if you use the 6 cell 2/3A pack, you will cog. buy the pinions you have listed, and try them out.
  • i don't think that you need the viscous diff set. but that's your decision.
  • MIP CVD's are definitely a good option part. get those before you get the viscous diffs.
  • oh, if you haven't already.... upgrade to a dual disk slipper the stock one is crap. i use one from the racer's edge which uses the stock spur, losi has one which 60t (i think), but it uses a different diameter hole size than the stock gears....

don't know about the wearing issues. as long as you set it up correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.

i haven't broken anything driveline-related with my 6800 kv setup. i haven't upgraded to 8000 yet because i'm just too cheap.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's my setup and it's way fast enough. I have a hard time keeping it from rolling.

Mini Tazar Brushless ESC (dynamiterc)
Xcelorin 7400Kv (Losi)
7.4 2S Lipo
16T pinon
50T spur gear.

if you go with the 5400 motor your talking about, you should be able to get away with as much as 21T pinon without burning up the motor.
If you want to run a 3S lipo, you might want to drop down to about a 16T pinon. If you run higher gearing then your going to want to keep an eye on the motor so you don't' burn it up.
Kj
Old 03-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

what's a good servo to replace the stock ones with??

I'm.going.to order the 45amp esc and 2 different.motors to try with the mini.

can you please tell me.what the dimensions are for the.mini lst2??? or pick out the servos for me. they have to be under 8 each.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Will I need to change the current pinion/spur or other parts of the drivetrain to handle the additional stress of the brushless system. I plan to use 2 Cell Lipos not the 3 Cell ones.