Search

Questions about ball linkages

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Questions about ball linkages

So are there any special tools out there for popping ball linkages apart? and also, what is the best way to unscrew the metal ball links from the chassis? I've just been using plyers to spin them but its a pain. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, what you need is a set of ball link pliers. There are several different sizes so obviously you'd have to get the appropriate size for the links you're using.
As far as screwing and unscrewing the links, it depends on what type you're using. Some balls have a hole through the middle and use a screw to secure them, some have a hex at the base of them and you could use a deep well socket or a nut driver, some have a hex socket on top and you'd use a hex driver, etc. ....yours have...?

good luck
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok i'll ask at my lhs about ball link pliers. as for the metal ball links themselves...i never even noticed that they have hex-fittings on top. thanks for the info! i feel dumb now as I have completely dismantled my rc18t several times by unscrewing those things with pliers. ha. thanks!
-tyler
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Heck, if that's the dumbest thing you've done, you're way ahead of the game. Hobby=leaning. No one can hold striving for knowledge against you.

Have fun with it!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Did you rough up the balls when you used pliers to remove them? If so you can use fine grit sandpaper and smooth them out. If they are rough, they may cause the ball end to snag and this could stop the movement of the link. If damaged very much, replace.