Search

rc18t differential help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default rc18t differential help

I just rebuilt the rear differential on my 18t. this was my first time taking the truck apart and putting it back together but I know everything is at least back it its right place. Holding the truck and giving it gas, however, the right rear wheel stops spinning far short of the other three tires. the nut is tight. when i have the tire disconnected it seams like the outdrive spins just as long as the other three (with tires connected), but it stops much faster than the other three when the tire is connected. any ideas at what went wrong with my rebuild? maybe not enough black grease/diff lube? i'm at a loss. thanks guys!
-Tyler
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Suspended

could be a lot of things

did you properly adjust the diffs after rebuilding them?
did you flush and clean all the bearings?
is it possible you have a bearing seizing up?
forget to install the axle spacer under the pin in the RR wheel?
etc.
etc.
etc.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It sounds to me like the tire/rim is the cause as it performs fine without the tire on. Make sure you have put that tiny washer on the axle shaft before the drive pin.

Try loosening the wheel nut 1/4 turn - does it get better? if so, it's possible that the rim is hitting the outer bearing or even the hub when it's tightened and the washer isn't holding it away.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It sounds to me like the tire/rim is the cause as it performs fine without the tire on. Make sure you have put that tiny washer on the axle shaft before the drive pin.

Try loosening the wheel nut 1/4 turn - does it get better? if so, it's possible that the rim is hitting the outer bearing or even the hub when it's tightened and the washer isn't holding it away.
+2 Those axel shims are important .