mini-t, whats broken?

Old 10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mini-t, whats broken?

Hey guys. I was so successful getting help with diagnosing the problem on my rc18t I figured I'd ask here about what just broke on my mini-t. I think it may be the differential. When I gas it from a stop it sounds like a real high pitched popping, like something (a gear i'm assuming) is slipping. It sounds like its coming from the plastic housing that the spur gear attaches to. Also, if i hold the back tries in place and give it throttle the gear/pinion will still spin, making that high-pitched stripping noise. any ideas? thanks in advance!
-Tyler
Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

STRIPPING NOISE

Seems like you stripped one of your gears

I don't know about the Mini-T but that noise you're describing is basically universal for a stripped gear. When I wore out the spur on my 18T and tried to accelerate too hard it would "whine" really bad until it caught up to speed.

I've also tore up gears in my differentials and the plastic ones made a sort of chattering/popping noise, while steel/aluminum ones will be more of a grinding sound.

Take the assembly apart and closely check each gear and see if the teeth are worn. They'll be rounded off quite nicely, like little stubs.

If I am off just say so anyone, don't own a Mini-T myself speaking from blown differential experience!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Hey guys. I was so successful getting help with diagnosing the problem on my rc18t I figured I'd ask here about what just broke on my mini-t. I think it may be the differential. When I gas it from a stop it sounds like a real high pitched popping, like something (a gear i'm assuming) is slipping. It sounds like its coming from the plastic housing that the spur gear attaches to. Also, if i hold the back tries in place and give it throttle the gear/pinion will still spin, making that high-pitched stripping noise. any ideas? thanks in advance!
-Tyler
i think you blew the stock spydergear diff.
get a balldiff. much better.