RC18t, what is broken?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RC18t, what is broken?

I am new to RC cars so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently got a used rc18t and was playing with it in my driveway when all of the sudden, anytime I gave it gas the front left wheel assembly (tire, lower arm, etc) would thrash wildly up and down. I noticed that when I turn the wheel all the way to the left the wheel cannot make a full rotation without forcing itself back to center. Any ideas on what I need to replace/fix? Thanks!
-Tyler
Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I am new to RC cars so please excuse my lack of knowledge. I recently got a used rc18t and was playing with it in my driveway when all of the sudden, anytime I gave it gas the front left wheel assembly (tire, lower arm, etc) would thrash wildly up and down. I noticed that when I turn the wheel all the way to the left the wheel cannot make a full rotation without forcing itself back to center. Any ideas on what I need to replace/fix? Thanks!
-Tyler
Check your dogbone for straightness...make sure the spring is still behind it in the outdrive. The dogbone should slide in and out freely with the slight pressure of the spring. It may be getting hung up in either end

If you have cvd's. Check for straightness. Pop off the top turnbuckle and make sure the cvd pivots and turns freely.

If all that is OK then take the wheel off and check the axle for straightness.

If you still don't find the problem, just repost with what you found.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds like a missing dogbone spring to me.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

Dogbones and springs seem to be intact. i'm not sure what the cvd is but if you tell me I will check that. It seems like the problem lies somewhere in between the dogbone and the wheel. the threaded shaft the wheel slides onto doesn't seem to be moving like the opposite one does. it seems to spinning freely. sometimes it will catch but most of the time it spins. bearings maybe? something about where the wheel shaft connects to the dogbone? not sure. thanks for the speedy response bud!
-Tyler
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

messing with it more it does seem like the afflicted side has more play/less resistance when pushing the dogbone in/out. Does that mean it is most likely the spring you guys are talking about?
-Tyler
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

pretty sure I found my culprit. the dogbone had lost its teeth/notches that hold it in place in the wheel hub. i'm sure that is what was causing the problem. does that sound right to you guys? thanks for the help btw!
-Tyler
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Dogbones and springs seem to be intact. i'm not sure what the cvd is but if you tell me I will check that. It seems like the problem lies somewhere in between the dogbone and the wheel. the threaded shaft the wheel slides onto doesn't seem to be moving like the opposite one does. it seems to spinning freely. sometimes it will catch but most of the time it spins. bearings maybe? something about where the wheel shaft connects to the dogbone? not sure. thanks for the speedy response bud!
-Tyler
A cvd is a replacement upgrade for the dogbone.

I think you are on the right track though...pop the top camber link off, take out the dogbone and spin the wheel. If it doesn't spin freely it could be a bad bearing in the steering knuckle...there are two.

If it spins ok and still wobbles you might have the wheel locked on the axle pin incorrectly. Remove the wheel and check the inner hub and align the axle pin with the slot in the inside of the wheel.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

pretty sure I found my culprit. the dogbone had lost its teeth/notches that hold it in place in the wheel hub. i'm sure that is what was causing the problem. does that sound right to you guys? thanks for the help btw!
-Tyler
yep that will do it.

while you have that out make sure that the spring is being held by the cup in the outdrive.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

While on this subject, if you lose one of the little outdrive springs, I do not recommend buying more as they are about $2 for a pack of them. Instead buy a foot of medium-sized fuel tubing for about 50 cents and cut it to the appropriate length. I raced competitively all summer with Factory Team dogbones and fuel tubing in each outdrive and NEVER had problems.

Or just get CVD's and not worry about it
Old 10-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
While on this subject, if you lose one of the little outdrive springs, I do not recommend buying more as they are about $2 for a pack of them. Instead buy a foot of medium-sized fuel tubing for about 50 cents and cut it to the appropriate length. I raced competitively all summer with Factory Team dogbones and fuel tubing in each outdrive and NEVER had problems.

Or just get CVD's and not worry about it
Good tip...you can also cut some pen springs to fit.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:10 PM
tdw
Tech Initiate

thanks guys i got some new dogbones at the lhs and am back up and running. now i broke something on my mini-t. i started another thread for that if you feel like helping out! ha. thanks again!