Which 1/18 truck

Old 09-20-2008, 03:24 PM
EJF
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Which 1/18 truck

I am looking for a 1/18 truggy type truck for my daughter to race, I have it narrowed down the the Vandetta ST, X ray 18t, or the Rc18, which one is the most durable and best handling? thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EJF View Post
I am looking for a 1/18 truggy type truck for my daughter to race, I have it narrowed down the the Vandetta ST, X ray 18t, or the Rc18, which one is the most durable and best handling? thanks
On what type of surface will she race? How can she drive? The Xray drives like it is on rails....but will break if she crashes. The parts are specific to the location on the truck so they become expensive. The Duratrax drives good as well. The Duratrax comes with marginal electrics and to make it durable you need to buy metal cvds ($70) so it needs a single infusion of cash to make it strong. The AE RC18 is the most durable but it is squirrelly in its stock form. Parts are cheap and it is the least expensive to hop up into a real racer....
Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Suspended

They all are pretty marginal in stock form, plastic dogbones etc., and no upgrades are cheap. What you might want to keep in mind is what's available at your local hobby shop.
If it's going to be run outdoors it's hard to go wrong with a Vendetta ST as the driveline and gears are enclosed, so maintenance is less of a concern or issue. They're also very durable.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend RC18
Old 09-20-2008, 05:56 PM
EJF
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

She is not very good at driving, and as of now its a carpet track with jumps added. More suggestions would be great.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

ST for sure, had the xray it was sweet parts not easy to get, had the 18t pretty durable, yet lots of work to make handle, st out of the box needs cvd's badly but works well every where. xray doesn't come with electronics and the other two need better ones out of the box. something to consider.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EJF View Post
She is not very good at driving, and as of now its a carpet track with jumps added. More suggestions would be great.
the RC18T will be the best value for running on carpet. You need to tighten up the steering. Get a DP drag link from thetoyz.com (about $10) and a rpm bumper (about $8) and you can start racing. For carpet you might want to change the tires (foams or street meats) If you keep the stock tires put a strip of electrical tape on the outside of the front tires....helps w traction and the truck will drive much better. If she crashes and manages to break something the parts are about $5 per bag....very cheap

If you go w the Duratrax you will need a better battery pack and watch the esc(they have a tendency to die) You will want CVDs front and rear(about $70 for 2 sets) and a front bumper (about $10). The same advice for tires as the RC18T. Parts for the Vendetta may be free...stress tech guarantee but you have to send the old part back...parts cost more for the Vendetta.

Again Im speaking from experience with all of the vehicles you mentioned.
The Vendetta will be easier for her to drive for a few reasons...
heavier, slower and bigger (slightly) which equates to a more stable truck.
You can make it go faster but speed=$$$
The RC 18T is smaller lighter and faster which makes it squirrelly along with its loose steering (done on purpose) when it crashes it usually does not break....
Let us know what you decide....
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Suspended

The ST is a great value for running on carpet, we've been running them for a couple of winters now and they perform better than RC18s out of the box and after upgrading.
The STs can be run as is out of the box, though you'll probably want to go to a smaller pinion for tighter layouts and their kit motor will outrun an RC18 any day of the week.
Duratrax also offers several tire options for the ST, but the stockers work fine --- while the RC18s threads will wear out rather quickly. I'll admit that theST's stock ESC has been problematic for some people, but a Novak XRS will only set you back about 40 bucks and will last forever and is a great upgrade.
But plenty of people have had troubles with the AE electronics too. And nearly everyone has battled with the weird steering set-up and questionable steering serbvo on the RC18s which can be a real pain --- while the ST comes stock with a 1/10th-sized servo and steers flawlessly.
The RC18 comes stock with plastic dogbones which need immediate replacement with metal CVDs, while the ST comes with plastic CVDs that people run for a while before upgrading to steel.
Neither comes with a raceworthy stock battery pack, but considering your daughter's a beginner the ST's slower pack might better match her ability -- then you can upgrade when she's ready as you would also do with the RC18.

I have several RC18s and Vendettas and prefer the Duratrax's because of their bulletproof durability and on-track stability. The RC18s might be slightly more nimble, but definately don't handle the rough stuff of carpet offroading as readily.

Good luck and have fun whichever way you decide to go.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I am new to 1/18th but it seems the losi mimi-t is very popular why no one suggest it here?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Probably because from they way his post reads he is looking at a 4wd, which is easier to drive for someone just starting out.

Now there is also the new Micro Desert Truck coming out, which is 2wd, but has a longer chassis which should make it more stable.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'd recommend the RC18 t,mt, or b. They handle great with a few upgrades and are tough. They can be fast with a brushless motor but can easily be tuned down to grow with her experience. As a matter of fact, I have a Brushless RC18mt for sale. PM me if you need pics, prices, etc. I need to get rid of this thing!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I have a son (8yrs old) and a daughter(9yrs old) that both raced the RC18T's this last winter(indoor clay). The trucks took a beating and the kids had fun. I put RPM bumpers on them and that took care of the full speed front end hits. Nothing but a bent shock shaft now and then. I had them run the stock battery that comes with the vendetta st and they both did much better due to the slower speeds. They were able to maintain the trucks while I worked on my own stuff. I run a modded RC18T and a Vendetta ST and the vendetta was a better all around performer. I think the 18T would be better suited for your daughter. After practicing and running a couple of races my daughter was able to run multiple laps in a race.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+1 on the RC18T. The truck is good right out of the box with foam tires and even the stock motor is fast enough to be competitive for your first season. I'd suggest getting better packs, though, as the sport pack it comes with is on the weak side.

I've raced a vendetta buggy as well, but not the stadium truck. The electronics in the duratrax are questionable at best, and when I handed it down to my kid he did OK but shaved a whole second off his lap time by trading up to a stock 18T.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

The ST is a great rig, but I am not going to lie, it takes quite a bit of modding to get it there. The stock electronics are garbage and the driveline (cvd's) need a bit of beefing up. From what I have seen, the 18t's/xrays dominate on carpet, but most prefer a detta when running on dirt 1/10th tracks.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Also, if you want to see the potential of the detta st, go to a UK micro site where they focus on race dettas. They don't get as much attention over here it seems. A lot of the UK racers run them with TC foams and buggy shells, which look awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service