team assoicated 18r thread! >

team assoicated 18r thread!

Like Tree2Likes

team assoicated 18r thread!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
ProMatchRacing sells them for much less.
thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ya I remember they were cheap. I had to solder my own connectors on so I like that the Pro-Match you can order with whatever you want. I actually prefer the soft packs because they are lighter and fit a little snugger. But I suppose in some cases hard packs are required for racing.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Question about the 18r,
I replaced my stock shocks for some from 3racing about 2 years ago. I've never been happy w/ the 3racing shocks, ...they don't have a smooth action/motion and seem kind of cheap (even though they are aluminum). What is the preferred shock for this car? Does anyone have the aluminum optional shocks that Assosciated offers? How are they?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
Question about the 18r,
I replaced my stock shocks for some from 3racing about 2 years ago. I've never been happy w/ the 3racing shocks, ...they don't have a smooth action/motion and seem kind of cheap (even though they are aluminum). What is the preferred shock for this car? Does anyone have the aluminum optional shocks that Assosciated offers? How are they?
Have you tried using the green slime on shock shaft from associated? The optional shocks from associated is ok it does leak just like any other associated shocks😳😳 there is really not much of a difference other that quick height adjustment. I say change the seal as soon as starts leaking.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Have you tried using the green slime on shock shaft from associated? The optional shocks from associated is ok it does leak just like any other associated shocks���� there is really not much of a difference other that quick height adjustment. I say change the seal as soon as starts leaking.
I think you may be correct, ...I haven't done maintenance on these shocks for about 6 months or more and have a decent amount of driving time on them. I have a lot of cars, so sometimes forget about things like this car's shocks leak, etc... I think your right though, these shocks have been dry when Ive opened them. I plan to open them up tomorrow AM and take a look.

Good to know that the factory shocks are not spectacular/must have.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

-oh, will try the green slime technique (I have some)
Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

okay, rebuilt my shocks, the 3Racing ones. I have come to the conclusion that they are crap.

They look nice, but the quality is not great. They are lacking a bottom o-ring and cup to seal the shock oil, and the tolerances of the parts is off ever so slightly, enough that you don't get smooth movement. The stock plastic shocks are actually much much much better in my opinion. Going back to stock shocks for my 18r.

anyone want to buy a set of 4 3Racing shocks??

edit: they are "integy" shocks, not 3Racing. But they still suck.

Last edited by eR1c; 09-04-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

okay, not much action in the 1/18th forums ...so i'll answer my own post should it help anyone in the future!

I have tried the stock 18r shocks, the ones offered from Team Integy, and the Factory Team Assosciated set.

Here are my thoughts:

Stock:
These are actually quite good, and the action is very smooth. Cost is $15 for a set of 4. For the money these are the best in my opinion. Only negative is that you can't adjust the travel length incrementally, you have to use plastic inserts.
8 out of 10

Team Integy:
These are not so good, cost was $25 for a set of 4. They leak as the design is not a great design, they don't have anything that seals the piston at the bottom so oil just leaks out. The movement is also very choppy as the parts are not precise/quality is lacking. Plus is that you can adjust travel incrementally via the threaded collars and they look cool.
4 out of 10.

Team Assosciated Factory Set:
These are the nicest, the movement is equal to the stock version, not better not worse. But you have the added ability to adjust the travel length incrementally. Also they look really nice. Negative is that the bottom cup that seals the o-rings and oil in is a real pain to remove and I honestly don't see a way to remove it w/o risking damage to this cup. Hopefully a new cup is offered in the shock rebuild kit? -I'll have to check that. Otherwise hope you never have to remove those cups. The set cost $30 for a set of 4.
9 out of 10
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry you got abandoned here on the 18R Forum. I use the actual 3Racing shocks and yes they do leak but they are my favorite. We dont run the 18r's much anymore and I really miss it. I have a great little 18R with Exotec Chassis and brushless motor and the little thing screams. I was racing it with the 1/12 scale pan car guys. I ended up buying a 1/12 scale since nobody else brought their 18R's to the track. This is mine with a couple of the bodies I've had. I didnt have a top off shot but I took a pic when painting the Nascar body. Which BTW is a great little racing body.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RussF
Sorry you got abandoned here on the 18R Forum. I use the actual 3Racing shocks and yes they do leak but they are my favorite. We dont run the 18r's much anymore and I really miss it. I have a great little 18R with Exotec Chassis and brushless motor and the little thing screams. I was racing it with the 1/12 scale pan car guys. I ended up buying a 1/12 scale since nobody else brought their 18R's to the track. This is mine with a couple of the bodies I've had. I didnt have a top off shot but I took a pic when painting the Nascar body. Which BTW is a great little racing body.
A little off topic, but may I ask what wheels you have in the second pic with the orange body ?? Thanks
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nige55
A little off topic, but may I ask what wheels you have in the second pic with the orange body ?? Thanks
Yes those are "The Toys" 35 shore foam tires. I true them down to about 44mm or so and they are great on carpet. I also like the BSR foam tires.

Looks like the only two options for 18R foams is the BSR's or the Associated's now. I cant find "The Toys" brand. They may be the same as the Associated. you could email them and ask.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Ha, no worry on getting abandoned. I have had my 18r since about 2009ish. I still run this car whenever I get out to practice at the track. There is no class to race it at my local club, but it is a lot of fun. Mine looks a lot like yours: CF chassis, brushless motor / lipo, etc... I have got mine to steer correctly and handle well. It is a fun little car. Really fun!

I love your photos, ...yep the GT body, ...I have one, yet mine is damaged from age/use. Would love to get more of those bodies (if they ever become available again)!

I'll post photos of my ride tonight/tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Glad you like the 3Racing shocks, ...mine are either 3Racing or Integy ...yet they are probably both the same or very similar. I just didn't like them, ...the car handled okay w/ them, but w/ my current shock setup (Team Assosciated Factory shocks) I feel the car is a bit smoother.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Ya I like the GT-Z body best too. Mine is really beat up now. I bought the Nascar body off ebay because it was really cheap. It actually worked great as a race body. I was really surprised. I do have a brand new Exotek GT-Z body I was thinking about painting up. Maybe I'll hang on to it and sell it to someone willing to pay 4x the original price LOL! you cant find these bodies anymore.

We also don't race the RC18R's anymore but I still really like the car and its super fun and fast. It always draws attention and questions at the track when I take it out for some practice laps.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Agreed!

I was happy that TA brought it back under the name of "1/18th Apex".
Yes, hoping that Exotek will do another run of the GT-Z body, ...but not holding my breath. The one GT-Z body I have had the rear wing torn off it ...I can probably fix it ..but not sure its worth the effort.

The RJ speed body that I like best is the Camaro body, -I'll post a photo, but I like the way mine came out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.