Wiki Posts
Search

Stock racing: RC18 vs Vendetta

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Stock racing: RC18 vs Vendetta

Some friends are looking to get something mini offroad for racing on a backyard track. We want to keep it as much box stock as possible to keep everyone's equipment close and the costs down.

I have an RC18R that I've raced on road and I'm familiar with the problems out of the box on those. I've heard people say that the Vendetta is better for racing but I don't know how it is out of the box.

Just looking for some opinions on which would be more capable and tougher as a RTR set without making modifications.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never had a chance to race either vehicle offroad however I did race both of those vehicles onroad. I would say both are competative but in my opinion the RC18 is significantly better. After racing the Vendetta for a season I noticed some of the other drivers continued getting faster and faster yet i was putting down the same number of laps. This prompted me to of course buy what they were running, an RC18T. My stock 18T put down at least 2 extra laps per race over the vendetta and is waaaay more friendly to drive. Not to mention more durable.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I THINK THE 18T IS THE WAY TO GO...MY .002 CENTS!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
Some friends are looking to get something mini offroad for racing on a backyard track. We want to keep it as much box stock as possible to keep everyone's equipment close and the costs down.

I have an RC18R that I've raced on road and I'm familiar with the problems out of the box on those. I've heard people say that the Vendetta is better for racing but I don't know how it is out of the box.

Just looking for some opinions on which would be more capable and tougher as a RTR set without making modifications.

Thanks!
Box stock both vehicles will have issues....
RC18 open gears may strip and the steering slop....
Vendetta front a arms will break very easily...

My experience is the Vendetta will hold up better in the dirt...little bigger and heavier so it will not act squirrelly like the rc18 will...
Both vehicles can be tweaked to do awesome battle against each other....
Old 08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

One thing that sucks about RC18T/B off-road cars is the exposed pinion/spur gears. When driving them off-road, little rocks get in there ALL the time (for me, anyway), and get stuck in between the teeth of one of the gears. This happens even with the body on - it doesn't help much.

When this happens, it makes a loud grinding noise, ruins your plastic spur gear, and creates a heavy binding in your drive train. Basically, you have to stop and try to find that little rock and get it out.

I can't imagine how people can race them off-road because of that. Also, you'd definitely have to do something about the steering slop there is when it's stock. But this can be fixed for quite cheap (Driven Products makes a good drag link, you can probably find it at thetoyz.com).

Also, I'm not sure if the fact that it comes with a micro servo is a problem or not, but the Vendetta comes with a standard size one, which seems better IMO.

The Vendetta also has a sealed drive train, so no rocks should get in there.

Other than that, the RC18T/B is great and pretty tough, much tougher than it looks. I don't have any other complaints.

This is all based on my personal experience of owning an RC18B RTR. I don't have nor ever tried a Vendetta, so I don't know if it has other problems that I'm not aware of. But on paper, it seems to have the RC18's pitfalls covered nicely. The only bad thing about it that I know is that it comes with a smaller capacity NiCd battery, vs. the 1100 mah NiMH that comes with RC18 RTRs.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

Does someone make an upgrade version of the front A-arms for the Vendetta? If so add those and they should be OK?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Those are the same problems I had with my 18R - had to replace the steering servo, servo saver, put in a draglink, and gear cover. Once I had all that in place I love it, but I really didn't want to have to do all that again.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I own an RC18T and my friend owns a Vendetta, and we race every weekend (carpet). He bought aluminum front upper arms and front steel shafts to fix the fact that the upper arms break easy and that the wheels can fall off. That's all he did to it and it is bulletproof (trust me he puts it into the wall quite a bit). The Vendetta is also faster stock. HOWEVER like the Savage I used to own I personally think it is a pain in the butt to work on. I found it somewhat beginner-friendly and easy to drive, plus it jumps good. The sealed drivetrain is a big plus. You'll need to get a better battery for sure.

My RC18T is heavily modified but when it was mostly stock it held up well in terms of durability and is REALLY easy to work on, plus aftermarket support is insane. It is also easy to drive but slower stock. I find 18T's somewhat easier to tune and dial. The 1100 pack it comes with is good for starting off, too.

For "clean" offroad and onroad, 18T can smoke any Vendetta.

For good ole' dirty offroad, I'd go with the Vendetta.

Both trucks are user-friendly and great vehicles to start out with!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Which has the best parts support at your local hobby shop?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hlpressley
Does someone make an upgrade version of the front A-arms for the Vendetta? If so add those and they should be OK?
with these on you'll have a very strong buggy

http://http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTZN7&P=Z
Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by haulin79
Which has the best parts support at your local hobby shop?
Unfortunately none of the LHS here carry anything for the minis. We have plenty of AE support but only for the 12th scale and up. No one here stocks Duratrax stuff so it's going to be mail order for parts either way.

We're also now considering a Kyosho Inferno half 8. Anyone with experience on that? Otherwise we're leaning toward the Vendetta.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller_Time
Unfortunately none of the LHS here carry anything for the minis. We have plenty of AE support but only for the 12th scale and up. No one here stocks Duratrax stuff so it's going to be mail order for parts either way.

We're also now considering a Kyosho Inferno half 8. Anyone with experience on that? Otherwise we're leaning toward the Vendetta.
The H8 is a money pit.....If you want to make it fast...It is not 1/18 scale but 1/16 so it is the largest and heaviest vehicle of the bunch....
In its stock form you need saddle packs (8 cell) and it will be slower than either the Vendetta or RC18....
Now the stock diffs (3) are the weak point. Along with the steering knuckles and motor mount (plastic parts)

Going with the Vendetta for running in dirt is a great idea. You can beef up the front end and get metal cvds and it will be a very good racer....
Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

As has been duly noted, the RC18 series has its issues primarily because of it's open gear area and iffy steering, not the original Vendetta buddy didn't have it's fragile front end issues as well. But you're likely aware that anything can be fixed with some upgrading of the stock parts - CVDs, adjustable, turnbuckles, etc. The only problem with the AE stuff is that you have to search around to get upgrade parts from outside aftermarket suppliers, while literally everything needed to beef up a vendetta can be had straight from duratrax.
Duratrax has addressed their concerns with the new pivotball suspension set-up, that someone else gave a link to http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd13-...ion_parts.html , and some of the newer buggies are coming with it out of the box - while the RC18 has remained how it was since its release so the same stones/dirt in the gears and steering problems remain.

But I'd also be curious if you plan on running trucks or buggies, because while the two brands' buggies are pretty comperable on track the Vendetta ST truck with its wider suspension will far exceed any 18T in handling the rough stuff - as well as the fact that the sealed gears on the duratrax line makes them much more suited for running outdoors.

The Kyosho mini has struggled to get a fan or user base because of their limited availability and upgrades, and while it's a decent platform getting replacements can be troubling.

Having had all of them, I'd stick with the Vendetta ST, especially if you're going to run them outdoors.
http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd14-...d14-index.html
Old 08-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
For "clean" offroad and onroad, 18T can smoke any Vendetta.

I wouldn't lay such a "blanket" statement down. I'm a little more humble than most about my driving skills, but would like to think I can beat most 18t/b drivers with my Detta under any conditions.
I bet if Zak Barry were piloting a Trinity IBS, he could whoop most other rides and drivers including dettas and AEs.

It's all about the driving. Practice makes perfect. Like most said......either of these vehicles would be a great starting point. Just go with whatever is easier to get parts for and start there. The Mini Inferno is a bit antequated as their parts are hard to come by and I really don't think they're even being produced any more.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

I think the Vendetta is the way to go for us Miller. Just my $.02.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.