Wiki Posts
Search

Half8 ST??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Half8 ST??

Acquired one of these recently and would ordinarily go straight to one18th.com to research what I need for setup, what upgrades, best choices for a bl setup, etc. I'm not impressed with what it does stock, lol!!

I've read everything here my searches have turned up - helps some, but I want to see more detail. I've been to a few places dredged up via net searches, halfeight.com for instance, but its basically dead, posts are mostly from late '06. Others are even less promising. Anywhere else I can find some info?? Thanks for any help.

Darn, I miss one18th.com....
Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Mr , check with morati here on the forum, he used to use the KM-RC ST...a true "killer"..he can give ya the anwsers i think. (i used to run it to, but just for a short time)
Old 07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have a brand new Atomic CS center ball diff for sale for it right here. Heres some things you need:
this x2
this
The diffs should be replaced first because the stock ones wont last but a couple of minutes. The ones in the ST were a little better, theyre oil filled but theyre still plastic gears. You could get the metal gear set for those, but those are so tight theyre pretty much a waste of money. These cars are little money pits because just about everything on them needs to be replaced.
Heres mine with a Mongoose in it:

Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Thomas.....
Duster, the weak point on the Mini Inferno series is the drivetrain and especially the mess they call a center diff/slipper unit. First off, i would suggest you get a KMRC chassis conversion which does away with the cheap center diff and slipper and replaces it with a high quality slipper unit that rivals 1/10th scale vehicles. If however, you don't want to spend the cash (approx. $150) then go for the MIP center diff with 3R blue delrin "Locked" slipper gears. Next up, you are gonna have to upgrade your stock ST plastic frt/rr diffs. Either MIP, Atomic Ball-diff 2's or the steel diffs from the 09 will work well here. Even with these diffs in place you are gonna have to keep an eye on the diff cases as they wear out fast causing slop which inevitably leads to stripped diffs.....Aluminum shock towers on the front and carbon ojn the rear is what I run. MIP CVD's all around. Quality shocks like the ones from 3R, SATO or the best ones....Kyosho aluminum shocks. As far as motors/ESC's go, how fast do you want to go? There's a ton of them available. If you are racing then consider the new Novak Mongoose 10.5 system. If bashing then go for the Neu/Mamba (or Quark) set up. Good quality lipos are a must for either system. The MI is maintenance intensive but can be very rewarding to drive. When they work, they work WELL!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Addict

Nice setup JLA!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

and mine....
Attached Thumbnails Half8 ST??-.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

body on....
Attached Thumbnails Half8 ST??-2.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

configured a little differently...
Attached Thumbnails Half8 ST??-21.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Lord

Wow, thanks everyone, Nice looking rides!

Sure helps getting me started. When finished with it, I'd like it to be on par and as reliable as my Vendetta which runs mamba25 and hyp 5000 long can, maybe not as fast with the higher CG but I want to build a solid basher, I've always liked the looks of these and when one came my way, I grabbed it. Was one heck of a deal and now I understand why. To be fair though, name me one of these thats not a money pit, lol, I think that just goes with it.

I have both a 33quark and mamba25 escs available to use. I have several bl motors on hand - 2 diff Fiegaos - 414L & 421S, a GH4700, permax 480 and a ammo 24-45-2900 3S motor to possibly use. I've read that ALign430L was popular (4050kv), but seems hard to find anywhere in stock - even heli shops. Just looking at mine, it obvious the motor fit is going to be tight, there's not a lot of room before you run into things. Given me a lot of things to think about.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Wow, thanks everyone, Nice looking rides!

Sure helps getting me started. When finished with it, I'd like it to be on par and as reliable as my Vendetta which runs mamba25 and hyp 5000 long can, maybe not as fast with the higher CG but I want to build a solid basher, I've always liked the looks of these and when one came my way, I grabbed it. Was one heck of a deal and now I understand why. To be fair though, name me one of these thats not a money pit, lol, I think that just goes with it.

I have both a 33quark and mamba25 escs available to use. I have several bl motors on hand - 2 diff Fiegaos - 414L & 421S, a GH4700, permax 480 and a ammo 24-45-2900 3S motor to possibly use. I've read that ALign430L was popular (4050kv), but seems hard to find anywhere in stock - even heli shops. Just looking at mine, it obvious the motor fit is going to be tight, there's not a lot of room before you run into things. Given me a lot of things to think about.
You may have a difficult time achieving the reliability of the Vendetta and even less than a RC18. Depends on how much power you want to put through those diffs. Most of the motors you listed will be a great match and I think you'll be surprised how well these things will handle with their extra wheelbase and weight. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Duster_360
I've always liked the looks of these and when one came my way, I grabbed it. Was one heck of a deal and now I understand why. To be fair though, name me one of these thats not a money pit, lol, I think that just goes with it..
How is it finding parts for the half eight ST/ buggy now?
They are a pretty good platform. I dont drive as fast as Morati and my ST held up pretty good. I sold mine because of the size 1/16 scale. I couldnt race it once Potbellys closed....my neck of the woods wouldnt allow it to compete w 1/18 scales...
The weak points besides the drivetrain were the steering knuckles and the motormount. The plastic knuckles wouldnt hold the kingpin screws....and the motormount would flex chewing up gears....
Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
How is it finding parts for the half eight ST/ buggy now?
They are a pretty good platform. I dont drive as fast as Morati and my ST held up pretty good. I sold mine because of the size 1/16 scale. I couldnt race it once Potbellys closed....my neck of the woods wouldnt allow it to compete w 1/18 scales...
The weak points besides the drivetrain were the steering knuckles and the motormount. The plastic knuckles wouldnt hold the kingpin screws....and the motormount would flex chewing up gears....
Rumour has it you drive FASTER every year Berm! Besides, I remember reading somewhere,"SLOW is FAST"!!!!
One of the reasons I kept mine was because my LHS stocks everything for my MI.....
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

Like what was just said, the steering rack is an absolute as well. This is the one I have and I think its the best. It eliminates a little slop plus adds ball bearings. This is nice to get as well. I have found 3Racing parts to be extremely solid. Another thing a lot of people upgrade to is aluminum shocks.
And whomever German is, your diff is going out today with an extra set of thrust balls and an extra gear.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
......How is it finding parts for the half eight ST/ buggy now? ....
After dnloading the manual, exploded view and part listing off internet, I got up a smallorder for some obviously needed stuff. Ultimate hobbies had every think even the small screws I needed to get it together to run it.

I don't think I'll be needing a lot of stock parts, seems I need some serious upgrade parts.

jla8874 - appreciate all the links. The seller in HK - good to deal with, advice on getting stuff shipped? My last HK purchase took 17days to arrive which honked (was not RC parts though, electronics stuff).

Thanks again to everybody for the advice!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

I wasnt aware I gave you an HK link. I always deal with RCBoyz and The Toyz on ebay and they are two of the best there is! They always ship within a day. Minihobbyshop.com is a very good seller as well, he sells on ebay too. He doesnt have the selection as the others but his prices are the best and he's a very nice guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.