Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=223057
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply, I agree with the other people, ONe18th.com was the authority for the 1/18th crowd.
I hope you get it running again, I learned allot from the advice I got there.

MLST Racer.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have nothing to do with the ownership or administration of the site. I was only a mod.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Initiate

To those wondering what happened..

Mike sold the site to Megatech. He transferred the domain name to be in their name. Megatech paid for the server and yearly domain name costs. With Megatech in full control, they decided to stop paying the monthly server bill (apparently due to a nasty argument). Thus, One18th.com returned an "Account Suspended" page for any request to the site because the hosting provider suspended the site for not paying their bill. Megatech then pointed the domain name to their own site in an effort to get desperate members e-mail addresses so Megatech can spam them. Mike is not happy with what Megatech is doing, but he has no say in the matter anymore because he sold it. According to Mike, One18th.com is most likely gone for good, although he says he has all the members e-mails backed up so he can e-mail everyone if the site ever returns (under a different name since One18th and One18th.com are properly of Megatech). Legally Mike is screwed. Their contract stated that Megatech has rights over the use of the name and domain name, but that was it. The content is up in the air as to who that belongs to, although the odds are not in Mike's favor.

Basically, Mike sold the site and now that Megatech stopped paying to run it, it's gone. I was an active member on the site for a long time (under a different username) and in the recent months the site has been dead and abandoned because the webmaster (not "owner") Mike was always too busy to work on it. Everyone is telling me they are signing up at YourMicro.com because they've had it with One18th. Good site, went sour, and now is gone.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oldfartjohn

Mike sold the site to Megatech. He transferred the domain name to be in their name. Megatech paid for the server and yearly domain name costs. With Megatech in full control, they decided to stop paying the monthly server bill (apparently due to a nasty argument). Thus, One18th.com returned an "Account Suspended" page for any request to the site because the hosting provider suspended the site for not paying their bill. Megatech then pointed the domain name to their own site in an effort to get desperate members e-mail addresses so Megatech can spam them. Mike is not happy with what Megatech is doing, but he has no say in the matter anymore because he sold it. According to Mike, One18th.com is most likely gone for good, although he says he has all the members e-mails backed up so he can e-mail everyone if the site ever returns (under a different name since One18th and One18th.com are properly of Megatech). Legally Mike is screwed. Their contract stated that Megatech has rights over the use of the name and domain name, but that was it. The content is up in the air as to who that belongs to, although the odds are not in Mike's favor.

Basically, Mike sold the site and now that Megatech stopped paying to run it, it's gone. I was an active member on the site for a long time (under a different username) and in the recent months the site has been dead and abandoned because the webmaster (not "owner") Mike was always too busy to work on it. Everyone is telling me they are signing up at YourMicro.com because they've had it with One18th. Good site, went sour, and now is gone.
no offense but Mike isnt screwed....he sold the sight and got paid $$$.....
Of all people to sell to Megatech.....
We the users got screwed.....
Old 05-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree the members got screwed the most, and even though Mike got a big fat check, I'm sure he cares a little bit about what used to be his and seeing it suddenly cease to exist. Regardless, it's his fault for selling it, and Megatech's fault for not paying the $$ to keep the hosting account online.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by oldfartjohn

Looks like Mike took his money and ran.
And it looks like Megatech likely has some sort of plans for it's use; and who could blame them as they were hardly getting their money's worth as it was being run previously since they got hardly anything out of hosting it since hardly anyone chatted about megatech stuff there.
At the same time as with many db's I look at it seems it ran it's course, it won't be the first and it won't be the last, and maybe that's why Mike sold it.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by oXYnary
I have nothing to do with the ownership or administration of the site. I was only a mod.
Hey its me KARR from one18th. Man that site was the place to be for the Mini T. Man us vets on there used to have fun posting about everything and putting up pics. I hope when/if they go back up we get to keep our Rep points and post count and pic galleries. BTW I signed up on that Yourmicro. They have a weak Mini section. That site doesnt look to active.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I was money is the key at one18th

I guess lets all sign up at your micro, and get it going!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been a member at yourmicro for some time now, but one18th had much more info.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lutach
I've been a member at yourmicro for some time now, but one18th had much more info.
Same here

Also, TheToyz forums is pretty nice, good people there
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Also, TheToyz forums is pretty nice, good people there
IMHO, thetoyz is a waste of time. nothing of significance there to learn, and if you're trying to advise people whine so you can't have a discussion without the mods jumping you. they're more a site designed for kids to show off pictures of their cars.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

I'm kinda pissed that mike didn't give us a heads up about selling the site. I understand that business is business, but if he let us know, we could have saved a lot of the useful info before one18th went off line. There were a lot of good tutorials, reviews, and build threads that can't be found anywhere else.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Rookie

i was a member there to for many years but like i said before it was going down and just like i said it did! so where is everyone going now.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rschoi_75
I'm kinda pissed that mike didn't give us a heads up about selling the site. I understand that business is business, but if he let us know, we could have saved a lot of the useful info before one18th went off line. There were a lot of good tutorials, reviews, and build threads that can't be found anywhere else.
well said....
the truly sad thing is Megacrap will let the sight die and all that useful info will be gone......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.