Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new mini-t baja

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Default new mini-t baja

i just got a mini-t baja and i want a brushless combo ,what is the best combo for just a little extra power ,or can i stay away from brushless and just do a motor upgrade with some gears or somthing
Old 07-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some of the newer brushless combos seem to be rather hit or miss on quality, but I have had fantastic success with my Mamba setup...

I actually have two one is an older Mamba 25 ESC with the 6800 motor in my LOSI Mini Late Model (dirt oval racing), and the other is a Mamba Sidewinder 25 with a 4200 in my LOSI Slider (dirt oval also)... Based on what I've seen, I'd recommend the Mamba Sidewinder ESC with the 5400 motor for all around use... (the 6800 is almost too much power, even on a 190' dirt oval, and the 4200 is only about the same as the stock RX280 LOSI brushed motor, but with less maintenance...) The mini-sized Sidewinder combos can be about $90 for the whole package!

Does this help?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Be aware that going brushless also requires an upgraded battery pack.

While Mamba has been the bl standard for a while, and they've released their new Sidewinder system, Tekin's MiniRage is a similar and very good sytem too, Orion has a bl system out also, and Novak has recently released their new Mongoos system that is by far the smoothest of any on the market.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Some of the newer brushless combos seem to be rather hit or miss on quality, but I have had fantastic success with my Mamba setup...

I actually have two one is an older Mamba 25 ESC with the 6800 motor in my LOSI Mini Late Model (dirt oval racing), and the other is a Mamba Sidewinder 25 with a 4200 in my LOSI Slider (dirt oval also)... Based on what I've seen, I'd recommend the Mamba Sidewinder ESC with the 5400 motor for all around use... (the 6800 is almost too much power, even on a 190' dirt oval, and the 4200 is only about the same as the stock RX280 LOSI brushed motor, but with less maintenance...) The mini-sized Sidewinder combos can be about $90 for the whole package!

Does this help?
so the sidewinder esc with the 5400 now what battery shuld i go with
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

I'm not sure what the other person's post was really trying to say...

Locally, I'm racing the Mamba 25/6800 combo on a high speed dirt oval in a LOSI Mini LM, and I'm still using off the shelf 6-cell IB1400 packs (unmatched cells, preassembled into side by side packs -- two brands: Integy and SMC)... The best packs I have are from CheapBatteryPacks.com, and are their 1500's in the same pack configuration...

Of course, for the Baja, you would have to use the original Mini-T/Baja battery configuration, but all of these sources also sell these same cells in that form factor, so...?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm not sure what the other person's post was really trying to say...

But it's been generally accepted for quite some time by real racers that poor quality batteries do not supply the required amperage to allow brushless systems to perform properly. There are plenty of small time guys at local tracks that claim to do all sorts of things, but that doesn't mean they're right.
Go with quality packs and you'll be much happier now and later.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Suspended

Before going brushless I would advise you read around these discussions and find more info on what system you might want to match your budget and your purposes. But I'd also suggest investing in some LiPO battieries, as the high amp draw of these mini brushless systems have been found to overburden most of the lower quality unmatched batteries and especially the stock packs.

keep it fun
Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Whatever brushless system you decide on, and whether you decide on LiPo batteries or NiMh, do yourself a favor and use quality connectors such as Deans 'Ultra Plugs'... The generic mini-plugs that are sort of the standard for Mini RTR equipment (and even some brushless setups) are just not up to the amp loads and will cause no end of problems...