Mamba 25 problems

Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Mamba 25 problems

I have the mamba 25 and 6800 motor. It was working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have had alot of runnaways (5 within 1/2 hour) and sometimes the brakes work other times thay don't, and sometimes it breaks when i don't want it to, i am also starting to get some cogging. I have tried 3 different recievers and am still having problems. It started after i updated the firmware. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or should i send it in to castle creations?

thanks
Old 06-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

If you are still running 27mhz check your antenna wire isn't cut or close to the battery -ve wire.

have you tried the car on the stock brushed set up to see if its just intereference???

HTH
Old 06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

most likely it's the radio and receiver.. try another radio.. i use an 75mhz fm radio with no problems..but when the car goes out of range it does what you describe..if you are looking to buy a new mamba 25 esc ebay is a good place to go.. i've bought two mamba 25 escs for they still work great..
Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

I was thinking it could be the reciever but when i had the runnaways i still had full steering control. could it still be the reciever or radio? I think the mamba is still under warranty.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Suspended

You mentioned nothing battery related.
Most often cogging (especially if you've done the updates) is a result of poorly charged, or just worn out or old, battery packs.

Run-a-ways are seldom if ever a result of the esc, so I doubt it's the mamba. They most often come about as a result of a bad receiver, damaged antenna wire, and poor transmitter batteries.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It could indeed be just be the ESC as you mentioned RC guy. I had a problem with a LRP brushless esc last week at the races- car was cogging, at times would go full surge down the straight and up over the boards. Felt like radio interference but I knew better. Changed out the esc with an identical unit and what do you know- all worked perfectly without changing anything else at all. Sent the esc back for repairs.

best,

M
Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeR
It could indeed be just the ESC as you mentioned RC guy. I had a problem with a brushless esc last week at the races- car was cogging, at times would go full surge down the straight and up over the boards. Felt like radio interference but I knew better. Changed out the esc with an identical unit and what do you know- all worked perfectly without changing anything else at all. Sent the esc back for repairs.
Considering the source, it would be my guess you've never had a stock battery pack in any of your cars in like.... never?

You have to remember that most of the guys here are bashers, predominately using stock or cheap packs, etc., etc., etc.

Not saying it couldn't happen, yet at the same time it's easier to rule out the easy stuff first - BEFORE considering sending something in for repairs that likely, or might not be, neccessary.

Last edited by oldschoolracer; 06-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

ya i forgot to mention that the motor also started to get hotter then it did before. i don't know what the temp was exactly but it was pretty hot. it could be a combination of problems. Like the batterys, reciever, and possibly a problem with my drive line. one way to find out... start eliminating things.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

I think i fixed it. I reinstalled the update on the speed control and so far haven't had any more problems.

Thanks for all your help
Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc guy
I think i fixed it. I reinstalled the update on the speed control and so far haven't had any more problems.

Thanks for all your help

Oh so it was the esc? I've been running Mambas in my cars since like... forever

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

i just called castle creations today and it turns out that i fried my motor, and that will take out the ESC. So i get to send it into them. Good thing it is under warrenty.

Has anyone else fried a brushless motor?