Community
Wiki Posts
Search

race fees, what do you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem is cost versus scale. We smaller scales pay less for our vehicles, so while a $80+ transponder seems like a great deal to someone who has invested thousands. It very expensive in comparison to a smaller scale.

The PTX transponders are a great value though. 15-20 dollars less with multiple numbers and smaller. It was much easier for me to justify the expensive for PTX transponders for both my vehicles versus buying one AMB alone and having to switch it out constantly.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
The problem is cost versus scale. We smaller scales pay less for our vehicles, so while a $80+ transponder seems like a great deal to someone who has invested thousands. It very expensive in comparison to a smaller scale.

The PTX transponders are a great value though. 15-20 dollars less with multiple numbers and smaller. It was much easier for me to justify the expensive for PTX transponders for both my vehicles versus buying one AMB alone and having to switch it out constantly.
No...the "cost" is exactly the same over the long term for most folks. The reality is that MOST folks are merely transitory in this hobby, others cyclically buy and sell off as interest waxes and wanes. Regardless the scale or level of investment in the hobby, my point is that you lose pretty much ZERO on your PT investment...unlike anything else I've ever seen in RC you can sell it for what you bought it for if you bought it used. In fact I'd bet that with AMB raising the new price of their PT's I can sell my used ones for more than I paid for them.

I think the PTX's are very interesting, but the price comparison you make, I'm pretty sure, is new-new. IIR a used AMB runs about the same price as a new PTX, so imho "$15-20 less" is a bit off the mark.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, new to new (with shipping!). I have only encountered a few used AMBs that went for $60, and they were long gone before I even saw the posts. Most I have seen go for $75+.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Yes, new to new (with shipping!). I have only encountered a few used AMBs that went for $60, and they were long gone before I even saw the posts. Most I have seen go for $75+.
Yes...as I said in my original post...either side of $80.

And STILL the best bargain in all of RC.

BTW...swerving back toward the original topic...our club race fees are $10 first class and $5 any class thereafter. They SHOULD be $15/10/5. Our out-of-pocket expenses for a given race day are probably $120 (facility rental, tape for carpets, printer ink and paper) plus any "depreciation" on our equipment (broken barrier pipes, our printer died last week and had to be replaced, computer, transponder batteries, etc). We're very fortunate that our facility rents as inexpensively as it does. We generally take in $150-200 for a race day for 7-8 scheduled races per year. The other 2-3 races we rent both days at the facility, charge the same, and end up actually losing a bit of money. At $50-80 per race day we'll be saving up for a LONG time to get that new carpet we want... That'll be about $4500 delivered, seven or eight years if we don't have to spend ANYTHING for maintenance on our gear. Yeah, fat chance of that.

Last edited by Scottrik; 06-21-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I was charging $15 for the first class $10 for the second (about average around here).. and $5 HTP rental. But at the same time, I was selling PT's at cost (was trying to flood the area with them)

Funny thing about PT's, when they were $55 I couldn't move them at all(otherwise I would have never bought HTP's and the rack). I sold the most when they were $80-$85. Once they got to $90... that was it... they didn't move. Now at $100 I won't even stock them.

The PTX's we have been using are working GREAT!! The last ones I bought were about $65 (shrink) and $69 (hard case). Will they hold there value like a PT...????
Old 06-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Suspended

never understood the complaining people do about race costs.
I mean, what can you do for the day or an evening for $10 or $15 ?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

We are lucky as we use I-lap . The Transponders Brand New are only $35.
House transponders are good for rookie racers, its expensive to get started in racing and the last thing you want to spend $85 on is a transponder
Old 06-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

my local track is dirt oval and charges 3 bucks for all the classes you want to run that day transponder usage is included in the price
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

What is a PT? Is there a website that describes them or sells them?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haulin79
What is a PT? Is there a website that describes them or sells them?
Personal Transponder. You put on your RC and it times your laps on the track