Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
18R/T/B Carpet Racing >

18R/T/B Carpet Racing

18R/T/B Carpet Racing

Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 18R/T/B Carpet Racing

Hey guys, unfortunatly I'm not blessed with warm weather all year round so I wanted to start a thread for these cars carpet racing.

First off got a question if any could answer. I'm running the stock motor at our track so speeds aren't too excessive. I put the threaded shocks on and I seem to have a hell of a time getting the ride height squared. Closest I get it is to where the front right or the left rear is off 1/2 mm. I can't see where I was running that fast where I hit something to tweak the chassis. Anyone have simular problems?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Is the vehicle fully loaded with batteries and body on? Do you plop it a few times on the table from say 10 inches then push down on all four corners to make sure there's no binding? Are you using a ride-height gauge? Are all of your shocks mounted in the same positions?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

have you tried checking for a tweeked chassis?

I am looking for more info on carpet racing with an RC18T, I have downloaded Tony Phalen's RC Madness setup and I have a few questions as well:

1. Has anyone ran rubber slicks on carpet? how well do they hook up?

2. Of the graphite chassis conversions out there, how good is the 3R one? ( I think that is the one with the fan included and graphite top deck)

3. Is anyone running pink front and rear foam tires? if so, how well has that worked out for you?

4. Anyone got a link to where I can find out how to get more steering throw?

5. How thick are two black 18T shock o-rings in mm?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Exotek makes the sickest chassis conversion
Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

You don't say what chassis\setup you are running so I am only assuming you are running the standard plastic chassis etc. The standard chassis is so flexible that you shouldn't worry about little 1/2mm differences as it will flex way more than that when you drive it!

If you want to get serious racing this car then get an Exotek TEK18 chassis conversion first. Then, don't mess about with o-rings, get some nitro fuel line tubing so you can cut your own shock limiters in the exact sizes you need.

Cain - various compounds work better than others. Most people here in the UK run Gecko foams, fronts all round, which hook up great!

Again, best chassis I have ever seen is the Exotek. Only one worth bothering with in my opinion. The Exotek chassis has a completely different steering assembly so steering throw is not a problem. There is also a lot less slop.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default chasis

Yes I am using the standard Plastic Chassis, I am using a ride height gauge, threaded shocks in the same position how ever for setting ride height how would that make a difference. Also it is fully loaded but without the body.

Thanks for the tip about the chassis conversion kit. This class really hasn't taken a foot hold at our track yet. So I'm being carful what I put into it in hop-ups. Worst thing is to have a decked out car and no one to race with. The car is a blast to run.

Cain- For the 18r's at our track we are running rubbers. It is the stock tires and we have the cars hooking up. Worst thing I found is that the rubber is a magnet for all the junk the foams leave behind. I would imagine rubbers on the trucks would work the same. I have to go searching for 18r slicks

Thanks again all
Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Legend

the exotek looks nice if I was running saddle packs. Not sure how it would take the lipo I have however and the price is a bit up there for what I am looking at.

Anyone have experience with the chassis I described?

As for tires, I think I may just go with the slicks for now. Since the track is a bit of a drive away, probably would be best to hold out a bit and see how I like it + the drive before putting a lot of money into this.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cain
the exotek looks nice if I was running saddle packs. Not sure how it would take the lipo I have however and the price is a bit up there for what I am looking at.

Anyone have experience with the chassis I described?

As for tires, I think I may just go with the slicks for now. Since the track is a bit of a drive away, probably would be best to hold out a bit and see how I like it + the drive before putting a lot of money into this.
Apogee makes a 2 or 3 cell pack that fits on the side of the exotek and you mount your speedo on the other.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Legend

This is the chassis I am talking about:

Old 11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roadburn
I am using a ride height gauge, threaded shocks in the same position how ever for setting ride height how would that make a difference.l
"In the same postion"? Does that mean all the shocks are set to visually look the same and if measured the spinning ring/nut/spacer is in the same exact position on the threads of each shock?

If so.....that's not how to get the ride correct. If you back the threaded nut all the way to the top for all four shocks then place a ride height gauge under the chassis. You thread the nut down to raise that point of the chassis to say 4mm. You then do that for all 3 of the other shocks. Bounce the car on the surface then recheck the ride height. If all four point of the car are at 4mm, it's most likely that the threaded nut on each shock would be at a different position, visually.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default shocks

I meant the mounted position, I feel frogger might have a point with the plastic chassis. The shock threads are all in different positions as needed, just no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't get the car perfect. That Exotek 18R2 conversion kit looks wild. Maybe if this takes off I can talk people into running a balls out mod class.
What other upgrades have ya guys put into the car that you feel are important for handling. I can see how possible changing the hub carriers would be important. Has anyone tried the Exotek shock towers?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

I run 2 Exotek kits both in Buggy form. I use the GPM bumpers, GMP arms, alloy c-hubs, front knuckles and rear hub carriers, ti turnbuckles, etc.

I'll get some body off pics over the weekend but here are a 2 pics of one of them next to my Kyosho Half 8 Mini Inferno KMRC conversion:

Old 11-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

18t with Quark 33 pro car, hacker 11L, gpm shocks,gpm steel gears, dp drag link, mip cvd's f/r, titanium turn buckles and ae foams.
Attached Thumbnails 18R/T/B Carpet Racing-cimg3166.jpg   18R/T/B Carpet Racing-cimg3158.jpg  
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default Shock tower

Nice Paint jobs on those Frogger. Did you notice a differnce in handling with the different shock towers. Also, I see Proline has 2 150mm bodies. Anyone running one of these? I don't know off hand what size body comes with the 18r.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Legend

frogger: Are those RPM like a-arms you have on there? They look like them. How well do they hold up and are they ultraflexible or stiff enough for racing?

Also, that body, is that a Jconepts one? How much room do you have on it for a handout transponder?