Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Tekin Rage 6.8 unit, no punch? >

Tekin Rage 6.8 unit, no punch?

Tekin Rage 6.8 unit, no punch?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Tekin Rage 6.8 unit, no punch?

I just got in a tekin unit, and I am thinking my batteries are suspect, but right now it has like no punch under load in my vehicle. I have played with the various settings, and when the vehicle is not on the ground, seems fine, under load however nothing.

This is not a slipping diff issue either, checked the diffs and they are fine.

Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I just got in a tekin unit, and I am thinking my batteries are suspect, but right now it has like no punch under load in my vehicle. I have played with the various settings, and when the vehicle is not on the ground, seems fine, under load however nothing.

This is not a slipping diff issue either, checked the diffs and they are fine.

Any ideas?
what vehicle and what is your gearing?
what batteries are you currrently using....
and at what amperage are you charging them...(2 amps is a good number)
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Cain,
Make sure you are running the 60 tooth spur gear and 10 tooth pinion gear, that would make my RC18T scoot nicely with the 6.8 motor.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Also make sure you have changed your battery connectors to deans or some other kind of high current connector. The stock mini connector just can not handle the high amp flow brushless motors pull. You should notice a great increase by just changing this. other than that your battery probably isnt up to the task, you need damn good battery to run the brushless systems, thats why lipo is so popular.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Hello everyone.

This is in an RC18T.

Right now the only mini batteries I have in are some stock Associated 6 cell Nimhs, the ones that come with the RTR kits. Connectors are all deans, I also changed them over to 12 guage wire and even put 2 packs in series. it bumped up the no load speed alot, but under load, still needed to wind up. Packs those may be garbage.

I do have a 14.8V 4S lipo that I am going to see about hooking up to just check the pull of the vehicle. Its for my 1/8 scale buggy, so of course not going to drag it around, just hook it up to see if it will pull when under load. Will this cause any issues? I don't think it will, but want to make sure.

I will also check the gearing too.

So basically if the batteries aren't up to it, the acceleration will suffer?

I am looking into some lipos for it or some elite 1500 packs, what would you guys recommend and would it be better to do 3S or 2S? I want this to be controllable at the track, so I was figuring 2S, but I do want some good punch. I also need to be able to use NiMHs as well at the track.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Hello everyone.

This is in an RC18T.

Right now the only mini batteries I have in are some stock Associated 6 cell Nimhs, the ones that come with the RTR kits. Connectors are all deans, I also changed them over to 12 guage wire and even put 2 packs in series. it bumped up the no load speed alot, but under load, still needed to wind up. Packs those may be garbage.

I do have a 14.8V 4S lipo that I am going to see about hooking up to just check the pull of the vehicle. Its for my 1/8 scale buggy, so of course not going to drag it around, just hook it up to see if it will pull when under load. Will this cause any issues? I don't think it will, but want to make sure.

I will also check the gearing too.

So basically if the batteries aren't up to it, the acceleration will suffer?

I am looking into some lipos for it or some elite 1500 packs, what would you guys recommend and would it be better to do 3S or 2S? I want this to be controllable at the track, so I was figuring 2S, but I do want some good punch. I also need to be able to use NiMHs as well at the track.
you want to get some 20c lipos....apogee magnum limn packs will do the trick....a 2 cell lipo will make the truck fast...a 3cell lipo will make it stupid fast....as far as nimh you want ib1400s or elite 1500s....