Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
18R Asphalt racing set ups >

18R Asphalt racing set ups

18R Asphalt racing set ups

Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 18R Asphalt racing set ups

Our track in South Florida will start having a class for 18R's, so I was looking for set up tips from those of you racing on asphalt.

We are allowing brushless, but I have watched guys with the monster motors go really fast yet have no ability to stay on the track....a couple with 5400's were not quite as fast, but could actually make laps......any motor suggestions?

Until there is foams, I guess we will run factory wheel/tire combos, and we will allow LiPo.

The track currently is set up for 1/10 Touring, so the lanes are 10' wide and the current layout is 715 feet long running down the middle.

Ok, tell me what you think....
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

ok, over 60 views, but no tips? Does anybody race these?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are two new guys racing them with us at the local track. They are kinda outclassed by our m18s, but I would be interested as well to help them get the best setup they can so they can have more fun.

Those new Exotek lowering shock towers are probably a good place to start.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

thanks for that tip....I might do the chassis as well....
Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The 18R's are doing pretty good on the parking lots here. A few are even fast enough to qualify high in the stock A-main if they wanted to
I wanted to run mine this past Sunday and give you a good base set up but I forgot my car in the garage so didn't get to run it

I tried my M18 on this track before and found out fast it was just too bumpy to do the speeds I needed to do to compete w/ the 18R's.

Some pics from Sunday racing... Basic rules are it has to use the stock tires but with any hop ups allowed.
Attached Thumbnails 18R Asphalt racing set ups-dsc_0257.jpg   18R Asphalt racing set ups-dsc_0260.jpg   18R Asphalt racing set ups-dsc_0262.jpg  
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

thanks MikeR, I like the idea of stock wheels/tires.....I guess if you are good enough to handle a 9200 or 8000 with those tires, then you deserve to blow away someone with a 5400 or hot brushed....

Is the Niteline body a must, or can the Kamino body hang?

I see exotek in your sig line, is that chassis a mut or is the stock chassis with upgrades like the new exotek shock towers plenty?

I know, a lot of questions....sorry....LOL
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

No problem with the questions.
Shock towers make a big difference along w/ firmer springs and oil. The Kamino will hang if you put a proper wing on there. I'm using a wing from a Recoil 1/16th. You can use a sedan wing if you cut it in half and overlap it to shorten the width.
I'll try and share a setup in 2 weeks when we race again.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks MikeR, I appreciate that.....now I begin my "Quest for the perfect Wing"...LOL
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Ok guys time to pick your brains.

I am about ready to toss my 18r out of the window. The steering is driving me crazy. I have gone over it so many times I can do it blind fold. Alright here we go.

I have a HS-65mg servo with the Assoc servo saver and a Golden Hobbies Alum steering setup.

Here is the issue. The car won’t return to center. I have tried everything! It catches and wont come back to center. Nothing is binding at all. Nothing is over tightened to cause it to bind.

I am about ready to sell it really.

From day one I have had steering issues (stock servo stripped)
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Martin,

It's just the servo saver You fix it and you fix the truck. The plastic spring in the servo saver is too soft so you don't get correct centering.
Slide the metal spring from an M18 Servo saver over the stock plastic one to make it tighter and stronger.
http://www23.instantestore.net/merch..._saver_kit.cfm

I'll bring my 18R out at the next race so you can see what I mean.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by MikeR
The 18R's are doing pretty good on the parking lots here. A few are even fast enough to qualify high in the stock A-main if they wanted to
I wanted to run mine this past Sunday and give you a good base set up but I forgot my car in the garage so didn't get to run it

I tried my M18 on this track before and found out fast it was just too bumpy to do the speeds I needed to do to compete w/ the 18R's.

Some pics from Sunday racing... Basic rules are it has to use the stock tires but with any hop ups allowed.
Mike- I like the first two pictures where I was in the lead!

My best advice on set up is to slam the car. My ride hight is only about 2mm. If the car is oversteering, keep dropping it. Then to add on power steering start adding preload to the rear and for more turn in add it to the front. A good starting point for the stock shocks is to use the #3 shim (half the size of the largest #4 which comes stock) and the #3, #2, & #1 shims in the rear. This makes it slightly lower than stock. I also went to the gold springs which made the car more responsive and stuck. Sauce with Trinity death grip.

For motor I'm running the AON 24mm 4900kv motor with the Tekin Rage ESC with 2S 2100's and a 18 tooth pinion which is very fast but controllable; the run time is over 20 minutes. I've run it on 3S 1350's for kicks but it's really too much for it.

Mike.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Mr Mayberry, that is what I am looking for...whether or not to slam....I already have gold springs on the way, and havent decided on new shocks or keep the stock ones. I definitely think the exotek shock towers will help keep the car flatter in the turns, correct?

I think I have a simple wing figured out. I will try using the stock 18R wing base, and install an 18B wing to it. I will take pics after I try it....

I am still debating on my motor choice, but will pick up a 65MG servo next week after payday.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Company Representative

Headshot- I don't know about the shock towers, I'm running the stock ones; maybe I'll have to try them. For now though I've put in some 3/32 limiters in the shocks to limit the downtravel. I upgrading to the threaded aluminum shock bodies which makes preload adjusting quick and easy.

I really like the Tekin ESC because of the plastic case and solder posts and the AON motor has a really good power band but the Mamba motor/ESC is a great choice as well. I'd suggest you go with the lower KV motors and gear them up instead of the super high KV motors with a tiny pinion if you want smooth control. It is very easy to put too much power in these cars and then they get hard to drive.

I think I'm going to try the MIP spool next... does anyone have any experience with this?

Mike.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Champion

Mike,

The locked spool tightens up the gear mesh a little too much at first but after the gears break in you're going to love the handling- in other words the locked spool is dialed One less component (front diff) in the car you have to maintain as well so you gotta like that! Pick up the front MIP cvd while you're at it too.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Company Representative

Sounds good... I have them both on order.

Do the Exotek graphite shock towers change the geometry from stock?

Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.