Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
18R Asphalt racing set ups >

18R Asphalt racing set ups

18R Asphalt racing set ups

Old 09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes, it gives you the option to move the tops way out to effectively firm up the spring rates but also has the inner holes that are approximate to the stock locations. Works nice with the gold springs up front and blue in back and 30wt oil at DHW.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quick question on the AON motors. I put an Aon motor on my 18R. I got it used and I was told it was a 4600kv. I checked AON's website and I didn't see a 4600kv motor listed. Is there a way to tell what motor I got by looking at the motor?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by macaofriend; 09-28-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think your friend was confused. Its a 4900 (somehow they flipped the 9).
Old 10-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Hi...for asphalt I moved the shocks out on the towers and put 50wt oil in the shocks and lowered ride height . Made the car a lot more stable on a stock car.

I needed more speed so i added a brushless and the same setup worked pretty good , but the stock tires were not cutting it.

I bought some 18t stub axles so i could fit Proline Road rage tires and proline wabash wheels and that fixed all traction issues...however i had to butcher my body to make the wheels and tires work.

The stock wheels and tires work ok with the brushless on asphalt but not concrete which is the surface we race on , hence the road rage tires.

For the steering fix I upgraded to a standard size Hitec metal gear servo , which eliminated all steering issues...no servo saver ( you do need the driven products steering draglink to do this mod)

Also for you street bashers or even racers the DP gear cover is a must...never worry about your spur gear again.

Also what MIP spool are you guys using in the front? the one way or full locker....thanks
I have the one way and it does not work good on concrete surface

Here is some pics.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Headshot
Thanks MikeR, I appreciate that.....now I begin my "Quest for the perfect Wing"...LOL

Here's that set-up I promised! Good enough to win the A Main

http://www.exotekracing.com/TEAM_EXO...LT_SET_UP.html
Old 10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Mike,

The locked spool tightens up the gear mesh a little too much at first but after the gears break in you're going to love the handling- in other words the locked spool is dialed One less component (front diff) in the car you have to maintain as well so you gotta like that! Pick up the front MIP cvd while you're at it too.
Mike which spool are you using? full locker or one way?.....thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Regular

Default Electric.

Man i mis electric, so nice so clean, so neat..
Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Frank,I'm currantly building and testing the 18r for carpet racing. I'm running it on a small 1/10th scale track, and this is my currant setup. A mamba 25 esc with the quark 4200 mini motor. I'm still working out the gearing, but rightnow I'm at 14-55t. no overheating issues at all. For tires, I'm using 18 t axles, foam tires from associated turned down to 44mm. This allows me to use the niteline body with minimal cutting of the wheel wells. I'm still working out ride height, I'm at 4mm for now. Hope this helps some. I'll try to update if your interested. Rick
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by azrcnut
Mike which spool are you using? full locker or one way?.....thanks

Wish MIP didn't add the word 'spool' to their one way packaging. No one in electric on road refers to a 'one way' as a 'one way spool' and all they did was create confusion about their product. Ok- rant is over
Old 10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

so the full locker...cool I'll try it....thanks mike
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kings Kid, thanks....I see you used some common sense in your motor selection. Our track is a pretty large 1/10 layout, currently 715 running feet down the middle with 10' wide lanes. We had a guy come out with his REALLY tricked 18R with a 9200 and my stock 18R killed him...except on the back straight...LOL. He was extremely fast, but the car was TOO fast to hook up. My little stocker just kept turning laps....

Mike, thanks for the set up on a stock chassis...I saved it in my favorites, and I am going to pretty much copy it for one of my 18Rs, and will do a build up with your chassis on another 18R. I was also thinking of trying one of the aluminum chassis on a different 18R to see if the weight down low will keep the car from rolling as much, plus to have a slightly heavier car for when the wind is blowing strong. My 1/10 was geting blown around yesterday with gusts around 20mph.

As an extra note....since the guys reading this thread are racers....I might have an opportunity to hold a race just for recoils and 1/18s on my track late next year, but I also am in negotiations with Seminole Hard Rock and might try doing that instead. I would like to hold the race first weekend in december 2008 so we can run it as a "Toys for Tots" benefit race. Is this idea workable? Is the race at RC Madness always in december, because I do NOT want to take away from them.....
Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Anyone out in socal with some of these, i race at socal raceway with my 18r when im not working fridays and the class has been kinda dull lately. but your guys setups are almost exactly what im using, except it took a few months of playing with to get right. but i havent tried a spood or one way yet either... might have to give those a try.

Mark
Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

We are having A & B main type turn outs at DHW in San Diego Check the thread out for race dates under 'track locator' san diego racing. Get a spool
Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am in the process of converting my 18t to an R. Do I need to change the rear shocks to fronts? I have most of the parts, but I need to visit the LHS to get the rest.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bean-a-reano
I am in the process of converting my 18t to an R. Do I need to change the rear shocks to fronts? I have most of the parts, but I need to visit the LHS to get the rest.
Yes you need small shocks in the front and back. You will also need shocktowers, bodyposts, dogbones, stub axles, arms, camber and toe links, if i remember correctly.