Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System! >

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 AM
The Evicerator

Well, the left side pod plate in the scalpel would need to be heavily dremeled on for it to even think about fitting.

Right now the stock Scalpel side pod peice is roughly L shaped with like an A fram support running from the short side of the L to the middle of the long side... if that material is all removed...so that you are left with roughly just the L parts... IE the bearing holder and the part that runs from the back of the pod to the front of the pod the motor MAY fit... I haven't done this mod myself so I really can't say for sure though.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

By its very nature the Novak micro brushless system will no doubt be quite expensive compared to the likes of the Mamba and Tekin systems, and rightly so. Quality and a good product come at these prices.

Bashers are not going to pay over the odds for this system as it will not benifit them. Being sensored will not benifit a basher in anyway and I hope that Novak, with their wealth of experience in the RC hobby will note this.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
think outside the box....
hey!, the box is there for a reason

i like thinking inside of it

i feel safe in there
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
As it stands now the rotor shaft diameter is 2.0 mm. With the design of our motor the rotor can be replaced so I don't see there being any problem with us offering a 2.3 mm shaft at some future point in time.
Steve.....Please please !! give us Vendetta owners a 3.2mm shaft option...robinson are the only ones that make module.6 48 pitch steel pinions (in the range we need) but only in that size....
Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would think if Novak made a brushless system with a standard shaft that Duratrax or some other company would come running with compatible pinions for the Detta.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Addict

sure, it'd be nice if Robinson Racing could get in on it and expand their already extensive range of steel pinions with a 2mm shaft size, but I'd prefer 3.2mm anyway...sturdier...more secure for a grub screw to fix on a flatened shaft than on a round 2mm shaft. I've already got a range of them, also Tamiya make 3.2mm 48 pitch module.6 too
Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
The Evicerator

FYI our 2 mm shaft DOES have a flat on it!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Pitty.. I want to build three 1:18 in the next months, would loved to go for Novak sensored brushless.. But won't wait forever...
Beginning of autumm is also start for indoor season in the Netherlands with our bad weather.

Could you at least give an idea if it's weeks, months or even years away ?

Last edited by snoebel; 09-25-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

will the motor be as powerful as this motor.. i know you cant tell much by looking at specs.. but this motor is able to be geared in a vendetta ST at 21/45 and race against 10th scale mod trucks on a 8th scale offroad track..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XNGX1&P=7#tech
Old 09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
The Evicerator

snoebel,

We are hoping to have it done in "months"... but it's always impossible to say what kind of problems or hangups will occur!

So far everything has been running smoothly though!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

even if it didn't Steve, I could put a flat on it....(whether that voided the warranty or not is another matter) .....and even if you didn't have a 3.2mm shaft option I could make an adapter.......but it would suck for all the Vendetta owners out there since an stock alloy doesn't last much more than 1-2 meets ....

edit..heck, I'll mod the spur to take module .5

Last edited by Carlos69; 09-26-2007 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

what is the big deal with sensored and sensorless..??? I am not much of an electric guy.. But my mamba fits my needs well.. easy to use.. and fast..

Not to mention a few problems with novaks synth mod and recievers have made me stray away from them for a few years.. had glitches two times in a row one on a brand new reciever.. switched to JR no problems ! sent items back.. and had to pay to fix.. (WTH) Items returned and were on the bay in a week... no problems since switcing to JR.. in 2 yrs
not saying there speedos are even comparable to my problems..

I thought most companies were going to the sensorless as a better system.. ?? just a rant please no fighting
Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From how I understand the difference.

A Sensorless system requires a very large amp draw to spin up the motor enough to create enough of a EM field? To allow the esc to understand the motors rpms.

This has two drawbacks.
1. That amp draw depending on the setup can cause cogging as the power fluctuates to the motors.
2. (Which is the key for many of us here) This does not allow as smooth a low end power. The "stepping" between neutral and vehicle movement is larger than a brushed esc. This especially with people racing on-road having smooth lines very hard to accomplish.

A Sensored system uses physical electronics to control the motor spin. This allows a very controlled and consistent power band on the motor.

The also has two drawbacks.
1. The cost of manufacturing is increased to include the sensored electronic in the motor, and does not allow the use of non sensored motors.
2. If the sensor wire is damaged or disconnected, your SOL till you get a new one.

I hope that helps (and someone please correct me where I am wrong).
Old 09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have it in more or less a play car.. I dont race it so for me Im okay with it.. But I am definately enlightened on the effects or benefits..
Thank you ..
I would not of even posted but I hate being in doubt about things.. just my way.. I gotta know everything.. : )

P>S sorry to hi jack the thread!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Mini_me, I believe you are right on the money. Another drawback to the sensored systems currently on the market is that they don't have as much flexibility for adjustment, too. This is a big selling point!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.