Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System! >

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Old 09-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or a much cheaper machined coupler from 2mm to 3.2.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I think earlier in the thread or somewhere else someone mentioned replacable rotors with different size shafts.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
Or a much cheaper machined coupler from 2mm to 3.2.
Honestly, I think this would be the best idea, saves money(& tooling costs for Novak) on needing different rotors, just have one standard size rotor & output shaft, & the couplers to adapt it to any pinion needed, cheaper for both us & Novak, I'd think.....
Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
Hey bxpitbull,
with no disrespect to you....you really dont know 1/18 scale.....
current non sensored bl controllers can use 4 cell lipos and there is a good portion of guys who want rocket ships....1/18 scales that have been radared at 60-76 mph....look on youtube.....
the shaft diameter is crucial to guys who run the larger 18th scales and the new 1/14 scale recoil. The best solution would be to offer 2 shaft sizes.....
berm
Um, while I may not have the vast knowledge of 1/18th scale like many on this forum, I have seen those little cars hitting those speeds. Now to be honest, is it necessary? Coming out of the gate, why should they shoot for the stars to make it 14.8 compatible? That would be waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooo much power for their first leap into the mini world. Novak has to think what will be best for all....not just people going for speed records and bashers. 11.1 volts would be suitab le for all parties fairly. Heck, Castle took baby steps in doing it, Novak should follow suit on that note.

In an interest to those of us who run the "smaller minis" the larger shaft diameter would be a pain in the butt for pinions we already have. Maybe, they could produce optional shafts? They have different types of rotors for 1/10 scale, could this not be done for 1/18?

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-18-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Um, while I may not have the vast knowledge of 1/18th scale like many on this forum, I have seen those little cars hitting those speeds. Now to be honest, is it necessary? Coming out of the gate, why should they shoot for the stars to make it 14.8 compatible? That would be waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy tooo much power for their first leap into the mini world. Novak has to think what will be best for all....not just people going for speed records and bashers. 11.1 volts would be suit all parties fairly. Heck, Castle took baby steps in doing it, Novak should follow suit on that note.

In an interest to those of us who run the "smaller minis" the larger shaft diameter would be a pain in the butt for pinions we already have. Maybe, they could produce optional shafts? They have different types of rotors for 1/10 scale, could this not be done for 1/18?
i might be wrong here.. but it might be more bashers out ther wanting to reach the stars then there are racers..

i know being here in socal.. the minis are a big seller.. but every time i go to the track i wonder.. "where are all these minis".. they r bashing them,, not racing them.. so they must provide for everyone..

i personally wouldnt mind having a coupler to the shaft .. this would make it more user friendly for the vendetta owners, which are growning rapily daily..
Old 09-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Jae, I agree to make it fast. But lets look at the facts. Novaks 3.5 on 6 cells/2 cell lipo is a flat out rocket. If they were to apply a smidgen of that knowledge, put it in a mini package, doubling that voltage would make vehicles go plaid not to mention, a risk for thermals. Keeping it in the 11.1 category with excellent gearing suggestions and maybe three motors to tinker with will be plenty enough. Thinking outside of the box, Novak is making this not just for the Vendetta or mini monster trucks. I have been pestering them to make a mini for the last 6 months AT LEAST. Looking at the wide spectrum of mini vehicles out there, they have to make something suitable for most of them out there......11.1 volts is the most probable option.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Does it fit into Scalpel ?

@ Steve

Any idea if it will fit into a Robitronic Scalpel ?

This car is getting more popular in Europe on a lot of tracks then any other 1:18 car out there !

Will the ESC have a BEC ? Please say that it will be 6v instead of 5v. We like the HRS systems also in our little cars !
Old 09-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Honestly, I think this would be the best idea, saves money(& tooling costs for Novak) on needing different rotors, just have one standard size rotor & output shaft, & the couplers to adapt it to any pinion needed, cheaper for both us & Novak, I'd think.....
the coupler is more like a shim....it will have a wall thickness of.022"
you know as well as i do something with such a thin wall can be damaged easily. If your pinion is not coencentric on its shaft you will strip spurs....
For me I believe in Novak....Trust me 2 sized shafts will be the bomb....

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Thinking outside of the box, Novak is making this not just for the Vendetta or mini monster trucks... Looking at the wide spectrum of mini vehicles out there, they have to make something suitable for most of them out there......11.1 volts is the most probable option.
You said it to think outside of the box you must what is not the norm.....
more voltage......
realistically im with you 11.1 is more than enough power but when the competition offers 4 cell even 5 cell lipo usage....you gotta be on that cutting edge of technology. a 380 can motor is more of a torque monster
and the kva ratings will be lower so using a 4 or 5 cell lipo will give some butt kicking speed and spur chewing/diff eating power.....
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM
The Evicerator

Snobel,

I think with a little bit of modification to the left rear side support of the pod the motor would possibly fit... but as it is now it would not.

As far as your BEC question, yes the BEC is a 6V output!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

you know as well as i do something with such a thin wall can be damaged easily. If your pinion is not coencentric on its shaft you will strip spurs....

You said it to think outside of the box you must what is not the norm.....
more voltage......
realistically im with you 11.1 is more than enough power but when the competition offers 4 cell even 5 cell lipo usage....you gotta be on that cutting edge of technology. a 380 can motor is more of a torque monster
and the kva ratings will be lower so using a 4 or 5 cell lipo will give some butt kicking speed and spur chewing/diff eating power.....
Thats a fair assertion berm. BUT, many of those systems have to do that because they are sensorless. Sensored motors, being the efficient systems that they are, will be able to capitalize on 11.1 volts.....enough to make the minis the mini rockets we all have come to love and enjoy.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

I disagree, it costs Novak more to produce and distributors and hobby shops to choose what to carry. I have had a 2mm to 1/10th brass coupler for years and never had a pinion run untrue on it. That was only brass! Now, if they machine it out of steel, and make a partial slot or something so the pinions grub still hits the 2mm shaft, it would be even a better system since brass is soo soft.

Are you referring to a 2.3 coupler however? I just calculated a 2.0 to 3.2 and its 1.2mm or .047" thick. I was stating a 3.2 coupler since the Anderson/Duratrax that really needs it can use 1/10th 48 pitch metric. Xray (and Robitronics?), could as well since we use 48 pitch Imperial standard which is readily available in metal for 1/10th.

Every other brand AFAIK even if they normally use a 2.3 have a .5 module pitch. There are a ton of pinion choices for this pitch in 2mm. So even if they have a Mini-Inferno in example, they can buy a Robinson RC18T metal pinion to mate with their new Novak.

I do agree with what people have been posting about Bashers are going to be the largest market. Sometimes they have tunnel vision when looking at features. I'm sure we have all gotten "how fast does it go?". That is the mindset of many a basher. Notice how they almost always end up with 8kv motors initially to be the fastest.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini_Me
I disagree, it costs Novak more to produce and distributors and hobby shops to choose what to carry..
unfortunately there is no one size fits all bl system for 1/18 scale....

think outside the box.....a high hp sensored bl system w a 380 can might snap 2mm shafts under load.....Novak do your homework.....you need a tester
hook up with my buddy Jae....He lives in SoCal....not far from you guys....
He runs his minis(Vendettas) at SoCal Pegasus and Revelations.....

I know a 3 cell unit w a 2mm shaft will please most 1/18 scalers....
right now there is a majority of guys wanting more from BL.......
Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

unfortunately there is no one size fits all bl system for 1/18 scale....

think outside the box.....a high hp sensored bl system w a 380 can might snap 2mm shafts under load.....Novak do your homework.....you need a tester
hook up with my buddy Jae....He lives in SoCal....not far from you guys....
He runs his minis(Vendettas) at SoCal Pegasus and Revelations.....

I know a 3 cell unit w a 2mm shaft will please most 1/18 scalers....
right now there is a majority of guys wanting more from BL.......

Seems we are in agreeance.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

I don't know if this will help, but this is what I mean. Since more than likely the internal shaft will be larger and machined down on the outside to 2mm, why not take advantage of the angled surface?

That way it helps to support the 3.2 coupler versus allowing to be snapped off at its end, which should allow those higher end motors in the heavier vehicles. The hole is for the 540 pinion grub to go down to the 2mm shaft. You might need another hole at the other end for pinions that need to be reversed to hit the spur.
Attached Thumbnails Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!-coupler.png  
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Fitting it in a scalpel

Great news to hear that it could fit into a scalpel.

Could you explain what work need to be done ?
Is it simply a little drilling with a 'dremel" ?

Can't wait now until you release it !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.