Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System! >

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Novak 1/18th-Scale Micro Brushless System!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thomas P
Berm, no you didnt do a misstake..my first GTB did held up for 3 jumps then the ESC died, sendt it back to US from swe, recived a new one a fw weeks later...

The feeling is smoother in the Sensorbased system, the Sensorless cant compete with that...biggest issue if you ask me is the size..
I'm with Thomas on this. After seeing just how large the esc and motor combined take in a actual 1/18th size vehicles. My enthusiasm has dissipated. It's like Novak was trying to get everyone, but in doing so came out with a system that addresses neither.

The 380 motors are common in the larger size vehicles, but they have the 2.3 versus the 2.0 that most others have. Then the esc has the circuit board protrusions for the sensor wires and such which make it basically only available to lay flat versus on its side for tight spaces. So there goes low centers of gravity.

Don't forget the tabs sticking out the end for the solder points for the wires. Versus laying to the side on the 1/10th. So that leaves even less room to put something in front of the motor between it and the servo (and makes it even harder to adapt for pan cars).

Personally, I think they still could have wowed the community by using a 370 size motor and decreasing the esc nearer to the spy size. Actually when I first heard the rumors, I thought it was going to be nearer the spy size.

This is based off the prototypes, so maybe the final version will be a bit more refined in space requirements. Otherwise I will continue to chug along on a brushed setup and see what the next generation of sensorless brings.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrxnfx
I think both Novak and Castle Creations make great products and both offer great customer service! I would buy either one...the decision usually comes down to price and other small details related to whatever application I need the esc for.

My doubts have been erased....Novak over nighted me a replacement.....
Im so blown away by the customer service I bought another one......
Old 10-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Any more pictures of the system.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Default Could be good for the vendetta and mini-inferno

I bought the mamba for Xray M18 it works fine in that vehicle but the M18 can not handle typical parking lot asphalt, the imperfections and patched cracks are a problem for its small wheels and suspension.

I got a Vendetta ST but after several attempts to use the mamba I gave up. The cogging or stuttering you get when trying to start from a standing stop (even after going with a lower KV and direct wiring and going with a higher mah battery) made the mamba unuseable in the vendetta.

The 380 size should be ideal for these slightly larger than 1/18th scale vehicles like the Vendetta and the 1/2 eight minin ferno. Given the cost of the Novak, I will probably first try and follow others advice and get a bigger brushless to go with my mamba ESC. I also do not like the idea of a big ESC in 1/18th.