best motor for rc18b

Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default best motor for rc18b

i just got my hands on a rc18b from a local trade i did, its bone stock/w foam tires,mip cvds and mip's superdiffs. The buggy is very good for what it is.... pretty much stock... it still has the stock motor and runs pretty well with it but i'd like to have good over all power and tourqe with out having to switch to a diffrent speed control, what is your thoughts the best brushed motor with the stock AE speedo ? ae 17t,cobalt16 trinity mass termination ?
thanks for any feedback

-mirra
Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I just bought a Quark 33/Hacker E30-13L

I used to run stock everything but it was a FT car. I know you dont want to change speedy just the motor but Ill tell you how it feels compared to stock anyways when it arrives.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mirramaxx View Post
i just got my hands on a rc18b from a local trade i did, its bone stock/w foam tires,mip cvds and mip's superdiffs. The buggy is very good for what it is.... pretty much stock... it still has the stock motor and runs pretty well with it but i'd like to have good over all power and tourqe with out having to switch to a diffrent speed control, what is your thoughts the best brushed motor with the stock AE speedo ? ae 17t,cobalt16 trinity mass termination ?
thanks for any feedback

-mirra
trinity monster 19t(you can get one for less than $15)
the 17t motors will make the stock speedo run hot.....
get the heatsink for it if you go w a 17t.......

the reality is you spend $40 on a hot motor and the stock speedo burns up......then you wish you went BL so now you spend $75 and up on a brushed esc.....and the hot motor needs a rebuild.....

think before you buy.......
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

9 dollar Robitronic's motor. Runs great in the RC18 for 1/18th scale tracks. Or Venom Fireball.

I don't think you mentioned what or where you plan on running the buggy at.

Racing or bashing?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

ive got a reedy 19t mini max in mine that runs real good it is faster and has more torque than the stock motor.. marcus
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

i race it every sunday and the lhs i get whooped on the straits with the stocker, and i cant go BL (no class for it). Anyone have any thoughts on the cobalt micro motors ? i know the 14t is just to much but what about the 16t motor? i do run a heatsink esc and the motor so it runs pretty cool when racing it. the buggy is quick for stock i just need the speed to be even more competitive on the race track thanks again !

-mirra
Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mirramaxx View Post
i race it every sunday and the lhs i get whooped on the straits with the stocker, and i cant go BL (no class for it). Anyone have any thoughts on the cobalt micro motors ? i know the 14t is just to much but what about the 16t motor? i do run a heatsink esc and the motor so it runs pretty cool when racing it. the buggy is quick for stock i just need the speed to be even more competitive on the race track thanks again ! -mirra
the cobalt motors kick butt....they will destroy your stock esc.....
get a good small footprint 1/10 scale esc and it will make the cobalt come alive......get an lrp quantum or a keyence esc.....
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

awesome, would the lrp micro esc do ok ? or go with a 1/10 for sure fo the added performance ? our track is roar legal so its pretty good size for 1/18 what would be good gearing for the 18b/w a cobalt 16t ? thanks for the input!

-mirra
Old 07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The $8 Venom Fireball motor with a 17T pinion keeps up to a brushless using a 6 cell or 2S LiPo. That's all I race with now in my RC18T. Best bang for the buck and doesn't heat up the stock ESC. At $8 each you can burn up a few and still have money left over compared to those $40 motors that are just as fast.

Most of the people I race with have switched, or will be switching to those Fireballs. Break them in with the water dip method and they fly.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

the venom fireball is basically a graupner speed 300 motor (closed endbell &fixed timing) For the money it cannot be beat. They are usually good but sometimes you get a dog.....Think about it a $40 cobalt has bearings, replaceable brushes and armatures....all things that make it rebuildable. If you dont have a motor lathe you will have to pay to have it rebuilt.....
that rebuild cost is what a new fireball will cost you and then some....
ESC wise dont get the quantum micro.....get a 1/10 speedo....
Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

i've had a venom fireball motor before.. with ok results, to me it didn't seem better than a stock 370 from the TEAM. But at 8 bux ill pick one up again and try it using the water break in trick. I'm probably gunna get the cobalt down the road but we'll see what the fireball does.. i have a buddy that races 18s with me that cuts his own motors, he's got one of those losi insaine motors in an 18r that just blitzes right by me on the straights so i know for sure he's doin a lil motor work...... heck i might get two fireballs ! whooo hooooo

-mirra
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you know how you can make the stock 370 motor as fast as a 17t reedy
Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

i know for a fact that he breaks his motors in with the water break in trick, so i gotsta try it now ! seems worth it to me, thank you guys for all the help ! my venom fireball motors are on the way

-mirra