battery help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default battery help

Hey,

what is the best way to built a pack of battery with this configuration ===

i did remember that I try in the past but it's hard to solder the battery together.

any tip for me.

thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thin battery braid.... place 2 cells like this l_, solder a short L shape braid to both then push the 2 cells together --. The braid also helps keep from breaking the solder joints apart like the hammer tip solder method can happen but you'll need to shrink wrap or glue the cells to keep them from shifting.

There is also the hammer tip method but you'll need a special solder iron for that...
Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeR
Thin battery braid.... place 2 cells like this l_, solder a short L shape braid to both then push the 2 cells together --. The braid also helps keep from breaking the solder joints apart like the hammer tip solder method can happen but you'll need to shrink wrap or glue the cells to keep them from shifting.

There is also the hammer tip method but you'll need a special solder iron for that...
yeah, this is the way that I have tryed but my solder was not very hot and it was a lot of trouble and maybe someone else have a differente technic.

i will give it an other try tonigh

i blew up a battery yesterday so I need some === batt for the race tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The best way is with a iron hammerhead tip on a 40-80 watt iron. You put the cells inbetween two dowels at angle, the hammerhead will allow you to solder both sides at the same time. Then let them drop into the other via the dowel "rails".

If you add braid or other metals folded in half, it starts pushing the cells away from one another which on some of the vehicles will make a difficult if not impossible fit. Also, if you use a good quality iron, hammerhead joints will hold up well. I only had one become unsoldered after I dropped it on a concrete floor.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by oXYnary
The best way is with a iron hammerhead tip on a 40-80 watt iron. You put the cells inbetween two dowels at angle, the hammerhead will allow you to solder both sides at the same time. Then let them drop into the other via the dowel "rails".

If you add braid or other metals folded in half, it starts pushing the cells away from one another which on some of the vehicles will make a difficult if not impossible fit. Also, if you use a good quality iron, hammerhead joints will hold up well. I only had one become unsoldered after I dropped it on a concrete floor.
good good good

Now I have a few idea in mind and I will try that later tonigh.

thanks for the tips !!!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

just found this web site:
http://www.slkelectronics.com/battery/index.htm