Search

brush and brushless class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default brush and brushless class?

Hey,

I'm back from the ECCC championship in Montreal and they had 3 onroad class: handout motor (by Team Scream Racing), pro mod (brush motor) and open (anything but everybody was running brushless motor)

This is my 4 bigs 1/18 event that I go and everytime the pro mod and open had a pretty similar runtime.

Do you thing that brush and brushless motor should be race together?

With all the new brush motor outthere (14T, 16T, 17T 19T....etc), I'm pretty sure that any brush motor could be as fast as any BL motor.

Let me know what you think
Old 02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I think so because 1/10th scale has already gone that route with mod. Lipo's vs 2/3a might be another story as there is still much debate about that in 1/10th.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

I think stock should be 5 cell NiMh and a specific motor (in 1/18 4wd).
Mod should be open motor battery...No restrictions! With the brushed motors available today, there is ZERO advantage (on the track) with brushless! The only reason most of us run brushless is the lack of maintainance.
This reasoning applies to most any roadcourse we would be inclined to run 1/18 on
Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lipo and ni-mh should be run together in micro mod. Just make the minimum weight that off a ni-mh car. That should more equalize things.

Brushed/Brushless as well because if you look at races such as Pottbellies, brushed mod laptimes are faster than the brushless. This may be attributed in part to the old school seasoned racers only using brushed setups. But also I believe personally, that the throttle "feel" of a brushed motor on a micro sedan is more apparent than on other 1/18th racing types.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Honestly, thats rubbish. Almost any BL setup will beat a brushed set, giving the same situation. I have seen BL RC18's get 70+ mph. Imagine that in a Micro RS4 or something...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by squeeforever
Honestly, thats rubbish. Almost any BL setup will beat a brushed set, giving the same situation. I have seen BL RC18's get 70+ mph. Imagine that in a Micro RS4 or something...
NO, speed doesn't mean that much on a true road course track. More speed can actually be worse, since not that many people can handle that amount of power on a mini, let alone racing it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by squeeforever
This discussion was regarding ROAD COURSE RACING! Not 1/4 mile speed runs. Even in all out speed runs, a brushed motor can be made to go as fast.
It just won't live for long. In the case of on-road racing, a 14t cobalt is plenty fast for any track. I have run that motor and Mamba 8k in same car on same track. Advantage goes to the cobalt! Even if you found a track where the 14t cobalt was short on power or speed compaired to a bl, there is no reason a 10t couldn't be wound. Could be that they allready exist..
Advantage of brushless is life-span, and lack of maintainance.
Only rubbish here was your 'less informed' statement.