Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Xray M18 Pro vs. Robitronic Scalpal. >

Xray M18 Pro vs. Robitronic Scalpal.

Xray M18 Pro vs. Robitronic Scalpal.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Xray M18 Pro vs. Robitronic Scalpal.

This is not a thread asking which one is "better"...

I'm just wondering the plus/minuses of running either car. For example foam tires...

Do both cars have to use the manufacturer tires or are there other options?

If you've owned both which do you feel is more durable?

Just looking for opinions from people who have used or owned both cars.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes....you are asking which one is better.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

I think they are two different animals.

You should have both.

"super stock" M18
bone stock Scalpel
Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Yes....you are asking which one is better.
Shut your mouth before I beat you down again with my Xmod!!

It's on MINI style donkey kong!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it looks like 2 totaly different cars-one is 1/18 4WD sedan (or whatever) and other one is 2 WD pan car. How can you compare them?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

AWD is much better, I say go with the sedan. I have the 18R and it is badass.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gashuffer
AWD is much better, I say go with the sedan. I have the 18R and it is badass.
ever race 1/12th scale on road?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

M18 pro would be very hard to ever break
Old 02-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nexus
This is not a thread asking which one is "better"...

I'm just wondering the plus/minuses of running either car. For example foam tires...

Do both cars have to use the manufacturer tires or are there other options?

If you've owned both which do you feel is more durable?

Just looking for opinions from people who have used or owned both cars.
Interesting question.
I have not yet raced my Scalpel yet but from tooling around with it, here's what I see.
The M18 has a longer wheelbase and seems to be more stable at high speeds. The Scalpel is a little more "jittery" but that might just a setup issue at this point since I don't have it dialed in yet.
There are various manufacturers that produce tires for the M18 but the tire mount system on the original M18 is terrible. The M18 Pro has wheel nuts but I have not yet seen aftermarket tires for it.
I have not yet seen any new tires for the Scalpel from Robotronic or a third-party.
I run the EITS chassis on my M18 and for the most part, the car is very durable (I do hit my share of side boards ). I think the new hop-up parts will make the Scalpel comparable to the M18 in terms of durability.
It is unfortunate but so far, I have not been able to find saddle pack LiPo's that will fit the Scalpel. There is not a lot of room on the chassis. In summary, both cars are very cool and fun to work with.
Hope that helps.
Matt
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

hey T,

We're still racing the 18s at Leisure. I did not buy the Scalpal, but I know a few hardcore fast guys who did. Stock it runs OK. The different length steering links make it feel tweaked when you turn one way vs. the other. Tires were hard to find at first, but I think they're more readily available. They did extensive testing, I mean, they wanted to pioneer the car. Custom chassis's with longer wheel base settings, stronger t-bars, modified front and rear suspension, it was pretty impressive the way the mod cars drove vs. stock. Their main goal was to try and beat or at least keep up with our M18 lap times. There were some good laps, just not consistent. And definitely not as durable. Every car broke at least once a race night.

We've been racing the M18s for how many years now? Most of our Xrays are completely different with most of the us using custom cut 2mm chassis's, modded suspensions, and we even make our own front tire splits. Med inside, hard foam out with rear wheel hubs in front to push out track width. The car really does feel like I'm driving my T2. I finally test the PRO. I like it.
We were worried about the track width on the PRO. The trick is to use the new rear wheels as front. 1/3 hard foam outside, 2/3 med inside. Now it drives like a T2 007. Chassis still needs to be stiffer, but stock is fine. Xray foam tires are only $5/pair. BTW, pretty much everyone is running brushless. Mostly Mamba25 with 5400 - 8000kv motors.

5400 motors are perfect at LHR. But most of us ran the 8000 at the Indiana State Micro Championship, a much larger track. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kidDynomite; 02-23-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mpetrich
It is unfortunate but so far, I have not been able to find saddle pack LiPo's that will fit the Scalpel. There is not a lot of room on the chassis. In summary, both cars are very cool and fun to work with.
Hope that helps.
Matt
Matt, the trick is to unwrap your lipo pack. Then peel off any tape holding them together. So basically, you have two separate cells. You'll just need to make some jump wires.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

I put a 2 cell lipo saddle in my scalpel. Kokam used to sell single cells in a variety of sizes. With my 150mm wb chassis, there was plenty of room for 1500's. I haven't spent any time with the scalpel lately. I know it is capable of at least equaling the performanc of the xray.
For now, it handles very well with 4 cell/stock motor. It carries corner speed easier than the 4wd tc. Harder to hook-up lots of power though.
M18 is very durable, hooks-up very well, and adaptable to most any power level or driving style.
They should not have to compete against each other. We offer separate classes, but have been putting stock scalpels with Super stock m18's, when scalpel turnout is low. Turns out to be a bit unfair to the xrays.
I expect we will be able to keep them separate on most race days.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
Matt, the trick is to unwrap your lipo pack. Then peel off any tape holding them together. So basically, you have two separate cells. You'll just need to make some jump wires.
Never thought of that.....
Right now, I am running the standard Scalpel with six cells so I can use the Quark ESC. I have them stacked like a very small pyramid. It's a little tight under the body but it works.
I will get on the "LiPo Operation" this weekend.
Thanks for the idea.
Matt
Old 02-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kidDynomite
hey T,

We're still racing the 18s at Leisure. I did not buy the Scalpal, but I know a few hardcore fast guys who did. Stock it runs OK. The different length steering links make it feel tweaked when you turn one way vs. the other. Tires were hard to find at first, but I think they're more readily available. They did extensive testing, I mean, they wanted to pioneer the car. Custom chassis's with longer wheel base settings, stronger t-bars, modified front and rear suspension, it was pretty impressive the way the mod cars drove vs. stock. Their main goal was to try and beat or at least keep up with our M18 lap times. There were some good laps, just not consistent. And definitely not as durable. Every car broke at least once a race night.

We've been racing the M18s for how many years now? Most of our Xrays are completely different with most of the us using custom cut 2mm chassis's, modded suspensions, and we even make our own front tire splits. Med inside, hard foam out with rear wheel hubs in front to push out track width. The car really does feel like I'm driving my T2. I finally test the PRO. I like it.
We were worried about the track width on the PRO. The trick is to use the new rear wheels as front. 1/3 hard foam outside, 2/3 med inside. Now it drives like a T2 007. Chassis still needs to be stiffer, but stock is fine. Xray foam tires are only $5/pair. BTW, pretty much everyone is running brushless. Mostly Mamba25 with 5400 - 8000kv motors.

5400 motors are perfect at LHR. But most of us ran the 8000 at the Indiana State Micro Championship, a much larger track. Hope this helps.
Man....you went that far for 1/18th...? No wonder hardly see you racing indoor carpet on 1/10th TC and 1/12th....I just picked up Albert's old M18 (2 of them)....now need to know what motor to use at the local Chicago track. (brushless/lipo will be overkill there by the look at the size of that track.)