Wiki Posts
Search

Mini inferno to mini lst swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Mini inferno to mini lst swap?

Hello all

I'm an Electric touring car runner, and 1/6th 2stroke player, we have no mini racers at our clubs but i have two friends with mini LST's and an XRAY carbon M18MT (electric)

I decided i needed to add to my collection and seem to be leaning towards a mini inferno...

Firstly - Like i said, Other than a couple of friends who are messing about with 18th I really have very little info on whats hot and whats not... Just the inferno seems to be a pretty geared up kit, where as the others look like you buy them, and throw lots of money in aftermarket parts - i'm really not to interested in that.... It seems out of the box, the mini inferno is a better bit of kit... but of course, tell me i'm wrong!?

Anyway, one of my friends wants to chuck a nitro engine in his mini LST, and i want to run tekin brushless in my inferno, I wont be buying RTR, but we figured i might aswell by the Nitro inferno and sell the engine tank / pipe / filter to my friend, seems alot less hassel than him sourcing all the parts... we no it wont be an easy straight swap be he wants to do it so - whatever.

So bascially, this sounds do able (i've never actually held, or looked at a mini inferno in person!!)

Am i going up the wrong path? do i need to slam on the brakes?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The Mini-Inferno requires some parts to get it up to speed, such as oil filled shocks to replace the stock air friction ones, and you will want a 9.6v saddle pack because out of the box it is designed to run off 6 AA batteries. The Mini-Inferno ST comes with the oil shocks, but you will still want the saddle pack.

For your second question, the Mini-Inferno 09 is quite a bit different than the electric version. While you are doing your friend a favor going this route, you are making it hard on yourself. The nitro version has a longer chassis, dogbones, and metal gear diffs. If you want to convert it back to electric, it's going to be a bit pricey. I can tell you want you need right now:

It would be more cost effective for you to buy a used one, then hop it up.
    Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
    Tech Apprentice

Ah great thanks for the reply!

hmm, well would i need to convert the inferno to the electric spec?

I'm not worried about it not being an electric version... As long as i can chuck a servo, receiver and brushless system in there? Or are you sayin the nature of the nitro chassis wouldnt make this possible? AA batteries? ewww
    Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
    Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monstercol
    Ah great thanks for the reply!

hmm, well would i need to convert the inferno to the electric spec?

I'm not worried about it not being an electric version... As long as i can chuck a servo, receiver and brushless system in there? Or are you sayin the nature of the nitro chassis wouldnt make this possible? AA batteries? ewww
    Anything's possible with a Dremel and some creativity, but no, you cannot mount electronics on the Nitro chassis without modifying it. The Motor mount mounting hole is non-existent on the Nitro chassis. Then afterwards you will need to drill more holes to mount the electric center differential, a hard crash or landing would kill motors with the nitro center differential.
    Old 02-14-2007, 04:24 AM
    Tech Apprentice

Ah right i see.

I'm curious how the nitro diff could cause damage to the motor??

I'm going off the inferno now, air filled shocks? uh, Another racer i know just bought an FTX buggy, which seems a nice kit for the price - maybe i'll just settle with that... or possibley an AE factory team spec kit - i really dont want to be messing around with hop upps - My hopup budget is taken largely by the large scales!