Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Harbor Hobby & Raceway 1/18 Scale Trophy Race >

Harbor Hobby & Raceway 1/18 Scale Trophy Race

Harbor Hobby & Raceway 1/18 Scale Trophy Race

Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Default Harbor Hobby & Raceway 1/18 Scale Trophy Race

Harbor Hobby & Raceway will be holding a 1/18 Scale Trophy Race "Return of the Squirrel" on Feburary 23, 2007 as part of our Grand Opening. It is a Friday Night and will Start at 7:00 pm The classes are Sportsman/Juniors (beginners/ under 16) Brush and a Brushless. We are working on door prizes from our suppliers. We will also be raffling off a 1/16 Kyosho Mini-Inferno, The Entry fee is $15.00 The first 40 entries will receive a free race T-Shirt. Races are a 3 minute qualifying, a 6 Minute Heat and a 8 minute main Track design that night will be a modified Oval.

Our Track is 100 x 36 feet and features CRC Ozite Racing Carpet, The New AMBrc3 Scoring with live Internet race results/lap time broadcast to the pit area

Since we race 1/18 scale every week, we stock a complete line of RC18
Mini-t and Vendetta parts 1/18 scale is NOT a sideclass for us it is what we race
If you would like more info you can go to our website www.harbor-hobby.net
or give us a call at (847) 246-1762

Hope to see you at the track

Nicole Schecklman
Harbor Hobby & Raceway
1225 Sheridan Road Suite H
Winthrop Harbor, IL 60096
[email protected]
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

I am confused as to what classes are offered & what kind of race this is.
Is it on-road? off-road? If off-road, are there jumps/bumps?
Please elaborate.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Track looks great! But, I see no mention of any 1/18 except for the off-road variety. Seems odd since it is an Ozite track. Classes such as; stock 1/18 sedan & open 1/18 sedan would be expected.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

The race is for the 1/18th open wheel style vehicle. If you go to the website under the Racing Rules you will can get more details. We currently do not race the 1/18th sedans because we have had no interest in them. Personally I have a Micro RS4 that I would like to race.

Our track layout changes from week to week. The current photos on the web page do not show any jumps or such. The current series we are running will have a few weeks of that type of track. But for the Grand Opening it will be a flat track.

If you have further questions please let us know.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Since the track is new, let me offer some suggestions. Common classes for 1/18 on-road are; 5 cell/Venom fireball motor for stock sedan, open sedan is any motor/battery. These classes are dominated by the Xray m18.
1/18 direct drive stock & mod. The new Robitronics Scalpel is very nice & gaining in popularity.
We race both on & off-road classes at my track. Popularity is about equal.
Leisure Hours runs mostly on-road & has a good showing.
We might congrigrate at your place on occasion.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the track and shop look awesome....
how do you fasten the animals????
I travel to chicago for work and I will definitely come and race when im in town.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

The Stuff Animal /Bean Baby race is part of a Fun Race we hold at the end of our Friday Night Racing Series. There are two verisions, one is a a obstacle course using the beanies. If you hit one or stop on the track for any reason you are out of the race. The second version is a animal ride, if the beanie falls off of the car/truck (it can only be set on top, not fasten) or stop on the track for any reason you are out of the race. The last one running wins a prize. The prize is not related to RC, it has been a case of soda, Lunch at McDonalds and such. It gives the beginner driver a chance to win against season vetern. It also puts a sense of fun into the end of the race evening
Old 01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

This track is new, but we have been racing 1/18 Scale for over two years, but that was on a indoor dirt track. We have not had any interest in the on road 1/18 scale so we have been racing the truck types. It would be easy to add the class(s) next season.

We have been putting together a 1/18 scale NASCAR series using the BRP cars That will begin Feburary 11, 2007 and following the schedule from there.
Each week we set up the track like the real track that week. The cars are painted like the real cars. They look good paint all up. Mine is done up like Kevin Harvick 2004 Busch Reese's car
Old 01-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
The Stuff Animal /Bean Baby race is part of a Fun Race we hold at the end of our Friday Night Racing Series.
Thats what it is all about.....I wish you guys the best of luck with your hobbyshop/track. Today we need fun real things kids can do.....
Being im a big kid i would enjoy that race as well.......
Old 01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Ron,
I went to their track website and could only look at the one picture on the homepage of the roadcourse they had set up. The rest of the pictures wouldn't load up or weren't really there. Looked good from what I could tell. I would consider running 1/18 sedan up there if we could get everyone from Leisure Hours and Duneland together sometime to go check it out. That would be cool. Might as well just go to His and Hers to race if we go all the way up there. There is no competion at His and Hers but what we bring but do we know if there is even anyone to race at this place? Doesn't sound like it.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

The webpage is working fine now I just check it. It might take a little bit for the pictures to come up on the one page if you have dial-up.

Each track has its own atmosphere and it is influenced by the drivers that race there the most. Some of our racers have been with us since we started, Some started when we open the new store. Everyone has a different skill level. If you come out and beat all of the locals, you have bragging right over them. If they win, you have something to shoot for the next time out. None of us are going to Daytona next month to quafily for the 500. The important thing is at the end of the racing day, you had a good time and are looking forward to the next time on the track.

The track is what it is. We try every day to improve it. Every track would like to have more of something, bigger pit space, bigger snack bar, more parts in the store. All of that comes with time. S&N Trackside took years to become one of best in the country. Scott and his family worked hard to make it what it is today.

As far as interest in a certain class or car. Right now we have been concerntrating on the open wheel 1/18 scale trucks/buggies Thats what we raced on our old indoor mini dirt track. It very easy to just bring in a RTR or two, like some local shops do. A shop needs to stock all the parts to back the cars they sell. The last thing I would want to see is someone buy a car from us, race it, then break something and we do not have the part to fix it in stock. It makes everyone upset. Backorder not included. This week we are working on the BRP cars.We hope to add a race for them during the grand opening. Next month we will start on the X-rays and then so on.

In concluion, I am not trying to be harsh, start a argument or such. But we are not His & Hers or S&N Trackside, Both shops gave us good advise on the new store and we try to work together on race nights, we are Harbor Hobby & Raceway Home of Nuts the Squirrel (our Logo. a flying squirrel driving a Mini-T)
Old 01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Nick, Would like to get together again soon. In general, Kris, myself & others, could make it to any of the closer carpet tracks on a Sunday. The Grand opening race at Harbor, or other event on a non-Sunday, would have to be planned in advance & would be difficult for me or Kris. My schedule has changed to accomodate both Friday & Sat. races at the store. Sundays I will be closed. Let me know if you come up with a plan...
Prairiedog,
Not trying to give you any grief! Congrats on the new facillity, it looks great!
The advise I gave about classes (in the earlier post), is based on my experience with micro racing & is meant as an assist, not a criticism.
I own (or have owned) virtualy everything that has been offered at 1/14 or smaller! We have been racing micros in my store for the last 4 years (mini-zs before that in my old store). Here are some more thoughts about various cars... The BRP is VERY slow! It comes with a slot car motor that makes a little, tiny, lightweight slot car, on 14 volts, move at a respectable speed. In the SC18 with 6 cells, it won't get out of it's own way. A spec class for them is nice & has some appeal. They are not competitive against the other 1/18 cars tho. Cost is close to the same as a Xray m18. Another car you might want to look at (down the road) is the Carisma M14. They retail for $99 rtr. We race them as a stock/spec class. Handle great, just charge the battery that comes with & race! Durable, cheap and fun.
I just noticed that, the grand opening race is an Oval. So, that's out anyway. We would deffinately like to come up to your track on a Road-course day. I will keep checking for schedule up-dates.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You may miss a few people becasue the big 1/18th race is in canada on the 23rd,24th, and 25th.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Check out the web page at www.harbor-hobby.net. We have our 1/18th scale information on their regarding our grand opening on February 23, 2007.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Initiate

What big race in Canada? Does anyone have any info on that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.