Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The stock ASF board is punchy, its such a marginal difference between the two, only a pro driver would notice the difference between the two. And it could be more of a response feel compared to actually having more pwr at the wheels. Motors are also different, with the RWD motor being brand new, where my ASF motor has run quite a few races and might need a cleaning.

Corner speed will matter MUCH more between the two electronics. Batteries charge and temperature will matter more than the FET difference as well.

what I should have said, was that I did not feel at a power disadvantage with the RWD compared to the ASF. It is nowhere near the disadvantage that AM or sports had compared to ASF.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Only controllers I’ve used for MiniZ. Actually like the simple one on the left
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:50 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Only controllers I’ve used for MiniZ. Actually like the simple one on the left
The KT-531P (one on the left) was the one that I was using yesterday, and while its super light and feels a little cheap, I like it.

This is the transmitter that I normally use. Loads of functions to fine tune a lot of different elements on the car. I have one button on my thumb for full reverse speed, so I can reduce brake strength on the trigger, but still reverse at full speed out of a jam. I also have sub trim set to a thumb 3 way momentary switch, and dual rate above it. This allows me on the fly to be able to adjust steering balance between sub trim, steering trim and dual rate to adjust for the car as it changes during a run. When I would run 6 hour enduro races, this really helped me keep the car consistent. As the tire temperature comes up, sometimes I dial down the dual rate, and if the front left tire starts to feel grabby, I can sub trim right at the same time steering trim left to keep the car going straight, but decrease right steering while increasing left. I have my trim steppings adjusted to be very low increments.

Unfortunately, I am starting to feel that the radio is starting to give up the ghost. I have intermittent wandering of the steering, along with times that the module doesnt light up and connect. After driving the RWD, I am realizing how slow the response feels as well. Which, until yesterday, driving the cars back to back, the response didnt bother me. Its when I am switching between different cars, that my timing is completely thrown off.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Been awhile since I’ve seen one of those. I think the first MiniZ I had briefly 8 years ago had the basic version. Think a few had those back when the store had there track.

I’m so used to using different controllers, a barely notice anymore. Typically week I use minimum of 4 different controllers.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 PM
EMU
Tech Master

I had used this controller for everything for around 10+ years. I had used it for AM, AD band then everything else was ASF... tried the atomic TX with the AMZ and it was a joke slow steering, issues centering... then got a sanwa for 1/10, but since it was a different scale it didn't bother me. The difference between the GLR with the sanwa compared to helios mini-z didn't bother me either because it's not a mini-z... but rwd to helios 2wd a game changer, and I lost my rhythm.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
yeah, that's what I used yesterday. I had used the sports with a kt-19, and wouldn't recommend that to anyone, except maybe an arch nemesis...
The FHSS is a big improvement over the older FHS system. I went so far as to swap the board in my son's car when he got the KT-432PT. The steering isn't nearly as twitchy now.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

At first, I just want to know who made the board for RWD. The problem is once you are spoiled with ko or other high-end brands, it is really difficult to go back to the basic radio. The funny thing is in China, KT-432 is impossible to find even though it is made by flysky. People here all push newcomers to at least ASF brushed, guess I'll find out why soon. If Ko can release EX6's master unit as a separate item, I'll appreciate it.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Up and running. Could not pass at the price. Been a month since I’ve driven RWD MiniZ. I forgot how bad the stock tires are. Tire change and back on track. Haven’t checked if it bearings or bushings yet.
Kremzeek and AlvBo like this.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Up and running. Could not pass at the price. Been a month since I’ve driven RWD MiniZ. I forgot how bad the stock tires are. Tire change and back on track. Haven’t checked if it bearings or bushings yet.
we have outlawed stock tires on our track. They are not the same kyosho tires that are found in the resale packages. Don't know the compound, and don't want to risk contamination of the track. The tires feel like a hardness between 30 and 40, but glaze over when used and brought up to temperature. Neither the 30 or 40 do that, but what does is the atomic 40, which has silicone in the mix.

I ran the front tires of the McLaren in my first race, and front grip gradually faded through the run until the point that I was bulldozing the track. Inspected the tire, and scraped a film of off it.

as far as i know, kyosho produces all mini-z fhs/fhss electronics in house. They burned the bridge with KO when they released the sports I believe, which was an attempt to undercut them and reduce cost on the mr03. This was a big blunder on kyoshos part, and saw a serious decline in racing locally due to not being able to get a race worthy entry level car.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Ran around 160 timed laps tonight after the tire change. Broke the 6 second mark. Average lap is in the 6.36-6.56 on a 15 lap run. Did check and it’s bushing not bearings. I do remember buying bearing set, now have to remember where it is. I did notice with the longer body there are a few dips in my track that it’s possible the tires and body are in contact. Overall positive.

What’s best way to clean RCP track?

Think thanksgiving day I’ll finally flip track to smooth side.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Ran around 160 timed laps tonight after the tire change. Broke the 6 second mark. Average lap is in the 6.36-6.56 on a 15 lap run. Did check and it’s bushing not bearings. I do remember buying bearing set, now have to remember where it is. I did notice with the longer body there are a few dips in my track that it’s possible the tires and body are in contact. Overall positive.

What’s best way to clean RCP track?

Think thanksgiving day I’ll finally flip track to smooth side.
sounds like you have a good handling car too. In general, this McClaren GTR long tail is a well balanced body that generates good traction in, through and out of the corner. It carries speed well.

the shortcoming of the body is that it has relatively low clearance between the wheels and the body. Which means oversize wheels and/or tires are a no go, ideally flat or low profile front tires should be used.

I used the body for a bit on carpet about 7 years ago, and customized a body for the shop owner. His cat went from a contender to a mod class dominator.

the body is definitely more balanced than the new McLaren, which suffers from lack of rear traction. But, the big mac is a heavy body....
AlvBo likes this.

Last edited by EMU; 11-19-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:48 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hello All,
Wondering if any of you guys know anyone at TinyRC? I placed an order a few weeks ago and it got messed up because of a communication error with Paypal. I sent a note and after a week finally heard back. I was told to send the funds directly to them and they would get it sorted out. it has been a full week and not a peep from them since I sent the funds.I have tried the "normal" channels of communication but no luck so far. The better half is away next week and I am hoping to give painting a White Body a try.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:07 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LJH
Hello All,
Wondering if any of you guys know anyone at TinyRC? I placed an order a few weeks ago and it got messed up because of a communication error with Paypal. I sent a note and after a week finally heard back. I was told to send the funds directly to them and they would get it sorted out. it has been a full week and not a peep from them since I sent the funds.I have tried the "normal" channels of communication but no luck so far. The better half is away next week and I am hoping to give painting a White Body a try.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
Did you use their Service ticket system? If so, click the ticket, then click messages in the middle upper portion of the page. I find that they respond quicker via Service Tickets than email.

I previously believed that my tickets were being ignored, but never pressed the messages button, once I did that, I saw all of the messages and turned red in the face.

I had a paypal error on my prior order. The order had been submitted, but not paid. With some of the items being their last remaining stock, and the ones that I really needed, I couldn't just resubmit the order. I sent the cash, and included the order number in the notes, and the order was shipped out without missing a beat.

I have never had a bad order from them, and actually find their service to be some of the best in the industry. Let me know if you have any further issues via Private Message, and I will take the appropriate measures to get it sorted.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EMU
previously believed that my tickets were being ignored, but never pressed the messages button, once I did that, I saw all of the messages and turned red in the face.
I had this exact experience, it's not exactly intuitive. Not that I don't love it, but MZR is from like 1998.
EMU and AlvBo like this.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Billy, I totally skipped over the cleaning of RCP. The owner of RCP recommends a damp mop to remove dust and that's it. I prefer a mist of water from a spray bottle, and vacuum after with a shop vac that has no rollers. Some mix a cleaning agent in to the spray bottle, but I feel that the water mist alone acts as a sequestering agent of sorts, and collects the small debris to be vacuumed. I am not a fan of adding chemicals into the track.

keep in mind that a good cleaning will reduce traction since it will pull some of the rubber out of the surface.
Billy Kelly and AlvBo like this.

Last edited by EMU; 11-20-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.