Kyosho Mini-Z Series >

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Like Tree1601Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would consider getting an unpainted McLaren 12C to build and try instead of the Corvette before looking to rework the suspension setup. My feeling with the vette is that it is good into the corner, but becomes lazy in the mid to exit of the corner. The 12C is a little lazy into the corner, but has very good mid to exit rotation.

With mini-z, outside of tire, the body is highest contributing variable in how the car handles.

with that said, my first point of attack would be to increase the center spring stiffness in order to gain rotation off the corner. If running a disc damper, use a stiffer lower spring and/or soften the upper disc spring. Both will have a negative impact on forward bite, but will provide more rotation on throttle.

increasing caster will also increase steering off the corner, but will kind of borrow it from the corner entry to do so... too much caster and the car will feel like it is steering behind your inputs. Too little, it will feel like steering at the front of the input with little depth. Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What’s the program for designing tracks. After 19 years of sorta looking at buying a computer, I finally did. Just curious about it.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm using Zround for designing RCP tracks. It's a bundle of software one of which is the track designer.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by estill View Post
I'm using Zround for designing RCP tracks. It's a bundle of software one of which is the track designer.
Thanks. That’s the one I’ve seen posted before. Just had another in my race group buy a track.

As I’m a dinosaur with computer stuff. What does “bundle of software” mean.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 AM
Tech Lord

Looks like PN has something new.

So for the 99.9 percent of us that didn’t go to Italy.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 AM
Tech Lord

Never opened the stock gear diff before. Switched the RM to the ball diff. Looks good after 17 months of use.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Thanks. That’s the one I’ve seen posted before. Just had another in my race group buy a track.

As I’m a dinosaur with computer stuff. What does “bundle of software” mean.
A software Bundle or Suite is a group of applications that usually get installed together. They then either work together or enhance each other. Sometimes you install the applications individually, and sometimes they come bundled within a single installer file. In the case of Zround you can download one file and it will install 4 applications.

For the record I'm not affiliated with Zround, I'm just trying to help navigate their web site.
When you go to the Zround web site, click on the Downloads link. For me it's at the top of the page.
In the Downloads section click on the Programas/Applications folder.
In that folder there are three files to choose from. You can either click on just the Track Designer or download everything by clicking on the Suite Installer.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions
Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by estill View Post
A software Bundle or Suite is a group of applications that usually get installed together. They then either work together or enhance each other. Sometimes you install the applications individually, and sometimes they come bundled within a single installer file. In the case of Zround you can download one file and it will install 4 applications.

For the record I'm not affiliated with Zround, I'm just trying to help navigate their web site.
When you go to the Zround web site, click on the Downloads link. For me it's at the top of the page.
In the Downloads section click on the Programas/Applications folder.
In that folder there are three files to choose from. You can either click on just the Track Designer or download everything by clicking on the Suite Installer.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions
Ah, gotcha. I knew there was a track design program, could not remember the name. Only one that came up on google was from 2006. Maybe they are the same.

I’m still a long, long, long way from try to get it on my laptop.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 AM
Tech Lord

Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 AM
Tech Lord

Old 03-26-2020, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello, I'm a novice when it comes to mini-z setups. What w/corona virus stay-at-home orders, I broke out all the old RCP track, and cars etc for a house full of teenagers. The problem is most of the cars don't perform anything like they did when we first bought them... because they've been abused. I'd like to get them working well again... so I'm hoping some one here can help. Specifics:

I have an MR-03VE, that completely loses back traction around corners... it's almost like it will do donuts in one direction. Any help here? I've changed tires, and have a flexible t-plate. Still no help. What upgrades should I look at purchasing to help this?
I also added a disk dampener, but managed to break the top disk. How can I tell what size / part no. I should get for a replacement from kenon?
Are there new minis that I should consider purchasing? The Atomic stuff looks cool, but it's overwhelming, and not very clear regarding what's what. I'd prefer 2wd, and have an older KO Pro radio.

Can someone please tell me how to correct my MR-02 reverse issues? It seems like it's really random, sometimes it will reverse instantly, and other times, the car will just sit for 5-15 second and not reverse at all. Really odd.

Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited by maxmannnn; 03-26-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

If you have access to an ASF manager software, using it to change the back timing option to minimum value.

The mr02 2.4 uses first gen asf board,which will always have a slight delay in reverse .

For the options parts, i guess your viable option is pn racing and kyosho themselves. Atomic has pulled out of mini z market a few years ago.

If you area talking about chassis kit though, Atomic remains a good option but they dont make 2wd kit anymore. The bz3 is a awd platform. AMR may still be available but i havent seen one on this forum and setup knowledge about it is scare.Your only option wull be GLR made by GL racing. IMO GL's kits are better made than atm but there are something you still need to figure out on your own...
Old 03-27-2020, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxmannnn View Post
Hello, I'm a novice when it comes to mini-z setups. What w/corona virus stay-at-home orders, I broke out all the old RCP track, and cars etc for a house full of teenagers. The problem is most of the cars don't perform anything like they did when we first bought them... because they've been abused. I'd like to get them working well again... so I'm hoping some one here can help. Specifics:

I have an MR-03VE, that completely loses back traction around corners... it's almost like it will do donuts in one direction. Any help here? I've changed tires, and have a flexible t-plate. Still no help. What upgrades should I look at purchasing to help this?
I also added a disk dampener, but managed to break the top disk. How can I tell what size / part no. I should get for a replacement from kenon?
Are there new minis that I should consider purchasing? The Atomic stuff looks cool, but it's overwhelming, and not very clear regarding what's what. I'd prefer 2wd, and have an older KO Pro radio.

Can someone please tell me how to correct my MR-02 reverse issues? It seems like it's really random, sometimes it will reverse instantly, and other times, the car will just sit for 5-15 second and not reverse at all. Really odd.

Any help is really appreciated.
For the VE losing traction. Loosen the wheel nuts a little to see if that helps. If that is not it check to make sure the tplate is not cracked and check to make sure the screws that hold it down are tight.
If it is a PN disk, any of the pn disks should work they just differ in material that they are made of. I use the white plastic mr2068w. I am not sure why the description says they are for the mr02 they work fine on my mr03. I do use a lexan body reamer to make the hole the right size for the damper post.

As for new minis to buy. If you are looking for just general fun the mr03 rwd cars that come rtr are hard to beat. If you are looking for something compatible with your radio then you have a few options. GLR is a kit build, you will need a micro reciever, brushless motor, batteries, wheels and tires to complete. Kyosho has the evo which would require the reciever to match your radio, body, wheels and tires. Oh and the ics adapter because kysoho sends all of the evos out with the steering settings screwed up now. The problem that I have with the evo is that soon after it is bought most people want to upgrade the motor pod and disk damper and then also have to buy a new motor to fit in the pn motor pod because the kyosho motors will not mount into the pn mounts. The evo electronics are fantastic, once you reset the steering, and can make a nice car, but in my opinion it is better to build a car around the electronics than to buy the evo kit.
zxcvb1t likes this.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Speaking on the Evo. Is there a disk damper that will fit the aluminum MII motor mount at 98mm? I have a kyosho disk damper, but will only go to 94mm. Dont have a body for that wheelbase and I have only seen RWD bodies in that wheelbase not MM bodies. Any info will help. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magnum_junior View Post
Oval guy here,
If you guys are doing carpet and not RCP then are you using rubber or silicone tires?
My club uses silicone rubber on their 10x24 carpet oval and we haul! We use 10° rear, 20° front and clean with simple green after every pack (~200 laps). But check with track management first or it will mess up the other cars traction. If they run regular rubber tires then a similar durometer combo should work. Normally a harder compound in front.
Offset wheels, most classes we put a +0 on LR and +3 on RR to get the weight/COG towards the left side of the car,
Fronts I use green or red springs, think i tried different on each side too but for my car and driving style i ended with reds.
Yes a harder t-plate will help get the on power steering, also stiffen the center shock.
I wouldn't mess with the other stuff until you get the tires and center shock adjustments to where you like. Don't get into the mindset where you have to pay to go faster, I run stock toe, steering knuckles and front end.
Do you have any videos of your Mini-Z oval races?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.