Search
Like Tree7772Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
Do you run alone? If so the I highly recommend the Laptracker app, it is super easy to set up, you an adjust a number of parameters, and best of all it is free though I did buy a really cheap tripod to hold my phone.. After literally thousands and thousands of laps I can tell you it just works.

Cheers,
Jim
Is that android or apple? Lap tracker in android is for full scale cars.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:57 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Is that android or apple? Lap tracker in android is for full scale cars.
I am a Apple guy, yes the Laptracker app is not specifically designed for RC but it works fantastically on an Apple device.

Edit: Just looked up Laptracker on Android and that is a very different app I am afraid. I have to imagine there is something out there that works similarly.

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.

Last edited by LJH; 03-30-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

LapTracker is for Apple iPhone.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

When I go into a something new I jump in with both feet.

I bought a used MCLAREN F1 GTR on ebay for $85 that will be get here on Monday. Then today I had a co-worker pick up another of the same from a guy on Facebook which I'll also get on Monday. This one cost me $120, isn't even through the first charge of the batteries and has ball bearings, an uninstalled light kit, and 4 front and 4 rear upgraded tires so that saves me from having to buy tires for the ebay car.
Pics on blue table are ebay car. The other three are the FB car.

From my recent research I haven't seen many used Mini-Z for sale for decent prices so I jumped on these as soon as I saw them.

EMU, 2112troy, xkylar and 1 others like this.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xkylar

I’m using Lap Monitor and have recently acquired a used Kyosho IC lap timer.
Hey xkylar, check your private messages.
xkylar and AlvBo like this.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

Anyone have pics of mounting direction for pn radials and f-type? I tried the most obvious direction. Didn’t feel so great, so i flipped them. No better, maybe worse, maybe better, etc. The rears are super softs and I’m running on rcp. First time trying the pn’s on my car and the car just chatters through the tight sections. The Kyosho radials are 3/10’s a sec faster and so smooth.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dob
Anyone have pics of mounting direction for pn radials and f-type? I tried the most obvious direction. Didn’t feel so great, so i flipped them. No better, maybe worse, maybe better, etc. The rears are super softs and I’m running on rcp. First time trying the pn’s on my car and the car just chatters through the tight sections. The Kyosho radials are 3/10’s a sec faster and so smooth.
the front of the "V" pattern should face forwards when looking down on the wheel.

do you have the tires taped to the wheel? Are there any clearance issues with the tires, the PN have slightly larger diameter than the kyosho.

how much PN rubber has been laid down into the track vs kyosho rubber? Where on the corner are you noticing the chatter, entrance/mid/exit?
AlvBo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

What are you all using for lap counting at home? I'm aware of some free computer software that uses a webcam. I've watched some video of lapmonitor which appears to be very convenient and portable. Lastly I've seen an phone app that use the built in camera to count cars, similar to the older computer lap counter.
I use the EZlap system. We use the same at the track we race at, so I don't need to do anything different with transponders. The system is relatively inexpensive and the transponders are cheap. We have had very few counting issues, most which come down to either low battery voltage due to a bad connection or not having it mounted right under the windshield with the stock windows (tinted).

When I go into a something new I jump in with both feet.

I bought a used MCLAREN F1 GTR on ebay for $85 that will be get here on Monday. Then today I had a co-worker pick up another of the same from a guy on Facebook which I'll also get on Monday. This one cost me $120, isn't even through the first charge of the batteries and has ball bearings, an uninstalled light kit, and 4 front and 4 rear upgraded tires so that saves me from having to buy tires for the ebay car.
Pics on blue table are ebay car. The other three are the FB car.

From my recent research I haven't seen many used Mini-Z for sale for decent prices so I jumped on these as soon as I saw them.
BMR, welcome to Mini Z's. If you are interested, we have a regular group that runs at Hobbytown in Kennesaw on Sunday's. We start setup at noon and finish around 6. No cost currently, and we are also participating in this season of HFAY. We also have a FB group, Kyosho MiniZ's of Georgia. We're happy to help with setup and any questions you may have. The used market is definitely a bit slim, but that says good things about the cars that people don't get rid of them.

Hobbytown Kennesaw HFAY Track

Bring a table and chair, we have power. Track has transponders for sale, and usually tires though they are out at the moment. They also sell cars and a small amount of replacement parts.
mugler, Bmr4life, TPDazzle and 1 others like this.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:05 AM
LJH
Tech Master

I have to do a quick rant for a minute.

I have been playing with RC for 35+ years and I am aware that most shops are of the Mom & Pop variety and maybe not as professional as a lot of other business types, though I see no reason why they cant be. Over the years I have had a number of issues and have sworn off a couple of suppliers because they are just poorly run businesses, my biggest peeve is with Hobby King and the owner Anthony Hand, I will never spend another penny with that business. With that said I have never had the number of issues that I have had over the last 10 months ordering stuff for my 1:28 scale stuff.......it seems that a lot of the companies that sell Mini-Z stuff are completely inept or just don't care.

I am afraid I need to add two more shops to my list of shop which are just not well run. The first is Bruckner Hobby (Hobby Heroes) which is interesting because I have bought all of my high end Futaba air radios from them over the last 20 years and never had an issue. I placed an order with them 2 weeks ago because they listed that the had the 599 Autoscale body that I was after for my GLA, after 5 days of not seeing anything (They are literally 25 miles down I95 from me) I call them and I get "Oh yeah, I was going to call you today" Sure you were..... Anyhow, they inform me they do not have the body so I cancel the entire order and they said they would credit my PP account. I was at a trade show all last week so I could not check up on the credit but today marks 6 business days since I talked to them and even more confusing is that over the weekend I get a e-mail with a tracking number. I just got off the phone and the guy says "I am waiting on my boss to give you the credit", not for nothing but a week to get a credit is to long in my book not to mention the confusion by sending out a e-mail with the tracking number. The second supplier I am calling out, and hate to do so because they are hosting the PN Championship race, is Tracks Hobbies I found that they have a TRP Megane on the shelf and tried to order it but there web store is not totally up and running yet. After fiddling with the site and not having any luck I call them and the gentleman tells me he does have it but he needs to work up the shipping cost. I give him my contact info and he says that he is busy but will get back to me, a week goes by and nothing so I call. This time a woman answers and she says she will have someone call me back......days pass and nothing, mind you hat both times I called it sounded like a party was going on in the background. On the third attempt and I e-mail them, again I get "We are busy" but I will be back to you and that was 6 days ago. I understand businesses get busy, I am about to enter my busy period which is completely hairball at times but I get back to every single inquiry within 24 hours at the most.....99% of the time I have the customer sorted the same business day......Sorry for the rant but I find this stuff super frustrating.

I will send out a big thank you to one supplier in the Mini-Z world and that is Meredith at TinyRC, We had a bit of a rocking start but she has proven to be very dependable and is super nice and I appreciate that, TinyRC has become my first "go to" when looking for parts.

Stepping down off the soap box now....

Cheers,
Jim.
EMU and AlvBo like this.

Last edited by LJH; 04-01-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EMU
the front of the "V" pattern should face forwards when looking down on the wheel.

do you have the tires taped to the wheel? Are there any clearance issues with the tires, the PN have slightly larger diameter than the kyosho.

how much PN rubber has been laid down into the track vs kyosho rubber? Where on the corner are you noticing the chatter, entrance/mid/exit?

So when looking down at the mounted tire the "V" should look like this, facing that way " ^ "? What about the F-Types?

It's run in the box stock class, and the Kyosho tires never needed to be taped but it's on the list to try. No clearance issues. I noticed the diameter difference- is it possible that the PN tires will have a slightly higher top speed than the Kyosho's? The CRC carpet track I run at has a lot of room to open up with few turns.

I know some people use the PN tires on the CRC track, that's why I figured I'd try them. But on my basement RCP- It's only ever been Kyosho tires running on it. Kyosho Radials have worked since day 1.

I have tried PN soft slicks on the front and they worked great. Plenty of steering and grip. Right there with my 30 degree kyoshos. The rears however, just "skip" through the first 3/4's of the turn. Often ending up sideways. If I slow down to the point its smooth, I lose 3/10th's a lap on a 6 second a lap layout.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:11 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dob
So when looking down at the mounted tire the "V" should look like this, facing that way " ^ "? What about the F-Types?

It's run in the box stock class, and the Kyosho tires never needed to be taped but it's on the list to try. No clearance issues. I noticed the diameter difference- is it possible that the PN tires will have a slightly higher top speed than the Kyosho's? The CRC carpet track I run at has a lot of room to open up with few turns.

I know some people use the PN tires on the CRC track, that's why I figured I'd try them. But on my basement RCP- It's only ever been Kyosho tires running on it. Kyosho Radials have worked since day 1.

I have tried PN soft slicks on the front and they worked great. Plenty of steering and grip. Right there with my 30 degree kyoshos. The rears however, just "skip" through the first 3/4's of the turn. Often ending up sideways. If I slow down to the point its smooth, I lose 3/10th's a lap on a 6 second a lap layout.
If you look at the top of the tire the "arrow" should point forward. With that said I wonder just how important the tread direction is. On full size tires that are directional it does not make any difference unless there is standing water involved, years ago a magazine by the name of "Grass Roots Motorsport" did a test where they mounted directional tire backwards and tested them and there was very little to no difference in lap time or feel.

My Mini-96 track has had both Kyosho and PN tires and the PN's are significantly faster, I run KS Soft Radial in the rear and KS Med slick up front and that is the fastest and most consistent set up I have found so far. I do have a pair of "F" Type rears but have not tried them yet. It is interesting that your rear is skipping, do you have a dampener?

Cheers,
Jim
AlvBo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
If you look at the top of the tire the "arrow" should point forward. With that said I wonder just how important the tread direction is. On full size tires that are directional it does not make any difference unless there is standing water involved, years ago a magazine by the name of "Grass Roots Motorsport" did a test where they mounted directional tire backwards and tested them and there was very little to no difference in lap time or feel.

My Mini-96 track has had both Kyosho and PN tires and the PN's are significantly faster, I run KS Soft Radial in the rear and KS Med slick up front and that is the fastest and most consistent set up I have found so far. I do have a pair of "F" Type rears but have not tried them yet. It is interesting that your rear is skipping, do you have a dampener?

Cheers,
Jim
I have a tendency to put tires on backwards. And EMU recommended once to rotate them after number it runs. I’ve seen no difference with the tire direction.

On full sized cars it can cause premature wear. So many tires are now coming directional.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:51 AM
LJH
Tech Master

The post man deliverd a box from Japan at lunch. I am not much of a “bling” kind of guy but I could not resist the Miami Blue GT3 riding on bronze CN28’s. I went with 0* fronts so I did not have to change to a narrow front every time I run the body, I think it looks OK. This body was a PIA, I had a big problem with fisheyes and just General adhesion, even the masking tape did not want to stick. It came out OK but not nearly as clean as some of my other bodies. At least I will not be as sad when it gets dinged up.

Cheers,
Jim
mugler and AlvBo like this.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Once in a while you could be running into a tire(s) where it came out of the mold out of round or pinched or similar...this would also cause the skipping you are mentioning. With the front if you are truing them most of the problem will go away but if its a radial tire short of changing it out with a good tire, taping it "really" well or if you desire CA gluing it would be the next best thing but none would still be as good as replacing with a good tire.
AlvBo likes this.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Say what you will but I think the bottom one looks more bad aZZ

EMU, LJH and AlvBo like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.