Like Tree825Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[left]
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw46 View Post

Sounds like its time for a motor upgrade!

Already have the EVO. Just waiting on Kyosho for the receiver.
Buzzsaw46 likes this.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

FWD practice on big track.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

As of today I have about a dozen 30 lap races with my brushed MR02 MM on the carpet oval. I was plagued with steering problems from the get-go. After trying to correct the problem with range and trim, I pulled my car in the 2nd race to find one of the front steering blocks was cracked. A new one of those and some adjustments and we were back in business..
One thing I've noticed is that my car is considerably slower than the others. We are supposed to be running stock so no pinion changes. Would my brushes be broken in by now?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

A local hobby shop, The Smoke Stack Hobby Shop, held a mini-z day Saturday. They setup a couple of wide L tracks in an interesting configuration, they built an overpass into the layout. I wish I had taken a picture, it was fun. You would catch a little air coming over the bridge. There were 11 racers total, they used the rough side of the track which I had never ran on before. Our cars have well worn PN softs on the rear and firms on the fronts and they were not hooking up on that track at all. I had a lot of spinouts but eventually was able to keep it under control enough to finish 3rd overall. They had prizes, 2nd place got an unpainted body and I got a really nice Kyosho bench mat, I didn't see what the 1st place prize was.
I wish I had taken spare parts with us, but I was not sure we were even going to make it there in time. It was scheduled to start at 11am but my son had a basketball game at 11 in another town so I just took the cars with us and headed over after the game, really I figured we would be too late and wouldn't get to race so I didn't do a lot of preparation. We got there right as they were finishing up the 1st round of heats and let us jump in. Met some cool people and had a great time. A few of the people there may join our HFAY club and start racing with us.
EMU, TPDazzle and Buzzsaw46 like this.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:35 AM
Tech Champion

Great day of racing yesterday. Tried something different. I’d planned to use the Jomurema after Friday nights practice. But gave the RM Porsche another try. This time charging batteries before each round. This I did see a important.

One thing i really wish is a better way to secure the bodies. On the straight other tend to hit me from behind, causing the body to pop off.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Great day of racing yesterday. Tried something different. Id planned to use the Jomurema after Friday nights practice. But gave the RM Porsche another try. This time charging batteries before each round. This I did see a important.

One thing i really wish is a better way to secure the bodies. On the straight other tend to hit me from behind, causing the body to pop off.
Use blue painters tape and tape around the whole body, or take a rubber band and wrap it. No other nicer way unfortunately.
Billy Kelly and MTseo like this.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by s14_tat View Post
Use blue painters tape and tape around the whole body, or take a rubber band and wrap it. No other nicer way unfortunately.
Like the rubber band idea.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magnum_junior View Post
As of today I have about a dozen 30 lap races with my brushed MR02 MM on the carpet oval. I was plagued with steering problems from the get-go. After trying to correct the problem with range and trim, I pulled my car in the 2nd race to find one of the front steering blocks was cracked. A new one of those and some adjustments and we were back in business..
One thing I've noticed is that my car is considerably slower than the others. We are supposed to be running stock so no pinion changes. Would my brushes be broken in by now?
Assuming you meant MR03 instead of MR02, is it possible you are still in training mode? This is something we catch more often then you would think on our newer drivers or even experienced drivers with newer cars. To turn it off on the KT531, with both car and TX off, hold the throttle and full forward (car forward not trigger forward) then turn on the TX, release the throttle, then turn on the car and it should be in regular mode now. To change back, repeat the process but with full reverse.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Great day of racing yesterday. Tried something different. Id planned to use the Jomurema after Friday nights practice. But gave the RM Porsche another try. This time charging batteries before each round. This I did see a important.

As recommended to me by others, using poster tack of putty where the side body mounts meet the chassis can provide enough stiction to keep the body in place through most contact. Also solves the rattle on some bodies as a nice bonus.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

No they run the MR02 with kt-18 tx and i'd say its about .3-.4 seconds slower per lap so on a 3.3sec lap oval youre down a couple laps at the end no matter what.
It just doesn't have quite the same go as the other cars.
For now I attribute it to running new batteries, new motor, needs more chassis tuning for corner speed.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by magnum_junior View Post
No they run the MR02 with kt-18 tx and i'd say its about .3-.4 seconds slower per lap so on a 3.3sec lap oval youre down a couple laps at the end no matter what.
It just doesn't have quite the same go as the other cars.
For now I attribute it to running new batteries, new motor, needs more chassis tuning for corner speed.
How sure are you that they are not changing the pinion gears? I had not purchased a new mr-02 but the mr-03 comes with 6t, 7t, 8t, and 9t pinion gears. To me, changing to a pinion gear that the car comes with in the box would still be considered stock.

edit: to change spur to pinion

Last edited by MTseo; 02-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MTseo View Post
How sure are you that they are not changing the spur gears? I had not purchased a new mr-02 but the mr-03 comes with 6t, 7t, 8t, and 9t spur gears. To me, changing to a spur gear that the car comes with in the box would still be considered stock.
Just to clarify, those are pinion gears, the large gear on the outside of the differential is the spur gear.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by superfly05 View Post
Just to clarify, those are pinion gears, the large gear on the outside of the differential is the spur gear.
Thanks, yes I meant pinion
Old 02-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Moved to the 7T pinion this week

Old 02-20-2019, 06:11 PM
LJH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Moved to the 7T pinion this week

https://youtu.be/cCSt1FikV8I
Nice job there Billy. Looks like your consistency is really starting to pay off.

Cheers,
Jim
Billy Kelly likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service