R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   Kyosho Mini-Z Series (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/142224-kyosho-mini-z-series.html)

TFR 01-04-2007 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Also, I cant find an AM 27mhz module for the Airtronics M11 either. Nor the Futaba module either in AM. In fact the only radio I can find is the KO lineup. Am I missing something?

M11 uses M8's AM module and there is a AM module available for Futaba 3PK and 3PJ.

Why is it necessary to run FM? AM seems to work fine in Mini-Z as far as range and interferences are concerned. I remember the old days with the MR-01 everyone seems to be complaining about the servo glitching of some sort but with the newer style MR-02 its completely gone, its dialed out of the box in stock class!

Also other reasons why I race Mini-Z exclusively is the cost, $3USD a pair of tires that can last 2-3 race days, $8USD IB750 pack, heck everything Mini-Z related is cheap. :nod:

EDIT - Also local track is only 5 minutes from my house... :smile:

oXYnary 01-04-2007 11:14 AM

ARGH! I did check really! Now I check again and find them on tower. JR though has nothing for modules beyond spectrum/synthesized. I really did try looking before typing.

Why FM? All in one radio. More global choices to use module computer radios. Switch to ghz for other racing or stay FM for both. 1-2 modules vs 2-3.

EDIT: Is that the track in Vancouver BC? Ocean City

CristianTabush 01-04-2007 08:28 PM

Since the Z1 is technically made by KO, with the exception of the synthesized module/ receiver, the Helios Mini-Z module drops right in.

Another positive part of the Z's is their size. With the increasing cost of real estate, it is a lot easier and cheaper to set up a racing Club just about anywhere where there is a fair amount of space (all you need is about 10x16 feet to have a repectable track). Hobby shops can have temporary tracks set-up on their showroom floors on weekends and the such. RCP, is relatively inexpensive for any hobby shop/ club in contrast to Ozite or Asphalt. 1000 bucks gets you 4 sets of the KYOSHO america 45 deg track set. 380 dollars gets you a Giro Z lap Counting system, which is flawless, so for 1400 bucks you have a racetrack with counting system. AMB alone is around 5000 bucks. Divide the 1400 bucks by 8-10 guys and you have a take anywhere/ permanent track for about 150-200 bucks/ person. This is why I believe the class will blossom. At AtomicMods, we sell tons of tracks and with both RCKenon and ourselves Importing Giro Z, many of these tracks will soon see timing systems and organized racing clubs will pop just about anywhere buddies get together to run on their tracks.

As far as the performance of the cars, they rock. Sure they aren't as technically advanced as some of the larger scale cars, but this makes it so much easier for beginners to learn. And yes, if you get all the hop-ups for the cars, they tend to get a little bit pricier, but they don't break, and nothing really wears out with the exception of tires. Maintenance is low, run times are long, durability incredible, which makes for so many possibilities for racing formats.

oXYnary 01-04-2007 09:15 PM

I have a ancient JR-756 (my old man baby). However, it takes the same modules as the newer Z-1. So I guess I will see about that KO once I take the plunge. I just don't want to borrow someones and fry my radio and their module. :cry:

Now to get on topic:

Space is at a super high premium at my local hobby shop. I actually go somewhere else in a neighboring city to race 1/18th. The local guys are more heli guys, but have a small interest in a track if they could find the space. A $1500 sale would be hard. Is the Core system on par price wise? You cant beat the passive and cheap transponders.

The main thing though is space (and parking). They actual run a small sports/workout center in the same space in the stripmall to keep above water. I was thinking of suggesting some way of doing a table top idea that was suspended chains to the ceiling. So it could be lowered for races. Have any of you Mini-Z racers ever seen something like that implemented? A RCP floor track wouldn't work as the floor is covered with overlapping rubber mats (not flat) and very heavy weight lifting equipment.

Tim Johnson 01-04-2007 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Since the Z1 is technically made by KO, with the exception of the synthesized module/ receiver, the Helios Mini-Z module drops right in.

Another positive part of the Z's is their size. With the increasing cost of real estate, it is a lot easier and cheaper to set up a racing Club just about anywhere where there is a fair amount of space (all you need is about 10x16 feet to have a repectable track). Hobby shops can have temporary tracks set-up on their showroom floors on weekends and the such. RCP, is relatively inexpensive for any hobby shop/ club in contrast to Ozite or Asphalt. 1000 bucks gets you 4 sets of the KYOSHO america 45 deg track set. 380 dollars gets you a Giro Z lap Counting system, which is flawless, so for 1400 bucks you have a racetrack with counting system. AMB alone is around 5000 bucks. Divide the 1400 bucks by 8-10 guys and you have a take anywhere/ permanent track for about 150-200 bucks/ person. This is why I believe the class will blossom. At AtomicMods, we sell tons of tracks and with both RCKenon and ourselves Importing Giro Z, many of these tracks will soon see timing systems and organized racing clubs will pop just about anywhere buddies get together to run on their tracks.

As far as the performance of the cars, they rock. Sure they aren't as technically advanced as some of the larger scale cars, but this makes it so much easier for beginners to learn. And yes, if you get all the hop-ups for the cars, they tend to get a little bit pricier, but they don't break, and nothing really wears out with the exception of tires. Maintenance is low, run times are long, durability incredible, which makes for so many possibilities for racing formats.

oh look, the Champ has come out of the wood work...LOL :)

CristianTabush 01-04-2007 10:52 PM

Just had to jump in Tim ;)

Core tends to be a little more expensive system-wise than the Giro-Z. It is also not readily available right now. Last I knew, KYOSHO had acquired distribution rights for it, but Tim would know that better than I would. Yes the transponders are cheap, but also hard to manage as they have to be taped and the software is extremely clumsy right now (maybe the reason why it is on hold). Also CORE tends to fail quite a bit if not set-up correctly, and on ocasion, the energized counting loop make the mini-z's glitch going over it. The advantage of Giro-Z here is that the loop is not energized, but rather the module, which just sends an I.R. signal every time the cars go under the bridge. Really cool stuff.

As far as $1500 being expensive; it is really relative, it depends on how many people you get to chip in for it and how big you make the track. The lesser amount of track sets, the cheaper it is. The bigger and the more people you can get involved in it, including 18 scalers. Check out our local club here It is a converted Mobility store (scooters for handicapped people) showroom floor every other weekend. About half the racers are 18 scalers or do both (including myself), the cars hook up awesome on RCP. The track owner has acquired a lot of RCP, but we have also gotten hooked up with donations from RCP and local club members.

Dave G 01-05-2007 11:06 AM

Christian: 01:52 AM!!!!! I guess Atomic doesnt open up at 8am like MRC does.. huh?

:D

Tim Johnson 01-05-2007 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dave G
Christian: 01:52 AM!!!!! I guess Atomic doesnt open up at 8am like MRC does.. huh?

:D

LOL That is your time...LOL that is 11:52 his time...LOL :)

CristianTabush 01-05-2007 04:19 PM

Actually, we open at 8am, but I'm always late ;) It was actually 12:52, so we'll split the difference.
Nah, just had finished watching the LA/SAC game. That was a good show, eventhough I'm a die hard Rockets fan, Kobe never ceases to amaze me.

Alright I'm off to the scooter store... Gotta get some laps in before the Acapulco party.

Bobby Z 01-05-2007 07:35 PM

Christian

What tires do you use on the M18's when running no RCP? I'm hoping to start a 1/18th club of my own and RCP just makes so much more sense than carpet and tubes.

Also how many RCP tracks were purchased to make the track on the website link you provided?

Thanks

CristianTabush 01-06-2007 10:49 AM

BobbyZ, I Use GRP 40f 35r/ Trey has sooooo very many sets of RCP that I can't really tell how many we used, but I'm guessing probably 4-5 Sets of KYOSHO 45 deg + 2-3 sets of expansion (blank tiles) should do. Trey probably owns 12-16 sets of track at the least.

Anyways, lets get this back to Z's. Tim, have you gotten to see the DTM AUDI's in person yet??? I want one so bad, just to look at them, they look too nice to run. And will these come with the 3010 fets?

Tim Johnson 01-06-2007 03:50 PM

I understand they should come with the 3010 fets, but i do not know for a fact. We received some samples last week. The audi looks great. All the samples had to be sent to the mags for review, :)

YBSLOW 01-09-2007 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
BobbyZ, I Use GRP 40f 35r/ Trey has sooooo very many sets of RCP that I can't really tell how many we used, but I'm guessing probably 4-5 Sets of KYOSHO 45 deg + 2-3 sets of expansion (blank tiles) should do. Trey probably owns 12-16 sets of track at the least.

Anyways, lets get this back to Z's. Tim, have you gotten to see the DTM AUDI's in person yet??? I want one so bad, just to look at them, they look too nice to run. And will these come with the 3010 fets?

Christian what body do you use on the AWD for racing?
Thanks!

Bobby Z 01-09-2007 07:58 AM

If anyone is looking I have a fully hopped up and Fet Upgraded MR-02 for sale.
Over $400 invested in this thing. Willing to sell around $250 or best offer.

E-mail [email protected] for more info.

CristianTabush 01-09-2007 03:16 PM

I use 98mm extensions to be able to run the McLaren GTR. Will try the McLaren SLR soon though. In 94mm, I sort of like the 360 GTC and the 350z GT300 and GT500. They don't perform as well as the 98mm car though.