Like Tree658Likes

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Old 02-17-2018, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I have an AWD Mini Z and just got in a Wltoys 1/28 that everybody on RCgroups raves over. The WL needs some tuning, tires, and some other tweeks for sure but I don't think it will ever feel as smooth and nice as the MINI Z. I was able to keep a nice pace and drift well around the island in the kitchen but despite being fast and consistent it just didn't feel that great.
eR1c likes this.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Cody01,
I have been really curious about the WL toys line of 1/28 cars, ...I just haven't bought one as I had a feeling they wouldn't be as nice as some of the higher end cars in that range. I think i'll pass on the WL toys and put the money towards upgrades or something on my nice cars.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Thanks Cody01,
I have been really curious about the WL toys line of 1/28 cars, ...I just haven't bought one as I had a feeling they wouldn't be as nice as some of the higher end cars in that range. I think i'll pass on the WL toys and put the money towards upgrades or something on my nice cars.
I don't want to imply the WL stuff isn't worth the money. I think for what you get its worth the money. I wasn't impressed with the charger being a EU plug rendering it completely worthless to anyone on this continent. Next I want to try the Mini Q cars. I actually think I will run the cheaper stuff myself when friends come over and want to race. I may as well have somewhat of a disadvantage when driving against people who don't drive as much.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Ball diff question for mr03s

Will the mr02, f1 and overland work for the Mr03?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yes and no. The 02 non LM yes. The F-1 no. Honestly don't know about the overland but likely is the same as the 02. You would have to find a part number for the overland unit and compare it to the others. However, the actual diff parts, plates, balls and spur gears will though the best diffs are the ones manufactured with 12 balls are the best to use since you can use an even half the balls for lower output motors since they require less clamping force for a smoother action diff..
Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Overland and monster diffs are very different to the racers. The spur is small. Overland has an idler gear in the gearbox, and the spur is offset compared to the 02.

The only 03 differential that is different than the 02, is the LM. Other than that, they are interchangeable.

01 have a different offset for the spur, and only compatible with 01 motor mounts.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
I don't want to imply the WL stuff isn't worth the money. I think for what you get its worth the money. I wasn't impressed with the charger being a EU plug rendering it completely worthless to anyone on this continent. Next I want to try the Mini Q cars. I actually think I will run the cheaper stuff myself when friends come over and want to race. I may as well have somewhat of a disadvantage when driving against people who don't drive as much.
I just bought the Jomurema 1/28 from Kenon. Seems like a pretty good car for the money but will know more after Friday race night. Nice thing is it uses a Flysky radio which is not too expensive and comes with a lot of parts for tuning.
J-milz likes this.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:38 PM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tonkatrucker View Post
I just bought the Jomurema 1/28 from Kenon. Seems like a pretty good car for the money but will know more after Friday race night. Nice thing is it uses a Flysky radio which is not too expensive and comes with a lot of parts for tuning.
Any chance you could get a video of it running out of the box with the 1S battery?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Any chance you could get a video of it running out of the box with the 1S battery?
I am not exactly the most technologically advanced person in the world. I will take video on Friday night and attempt to post it here this weekend
Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Diffs should be the same on the 020 compared to 010. Spools would be good for drifting, but not so good for racing in this scale.

RCP tracks are a relatively inexpensive way to have a quality track surface to race on. They are much better than any industry standard foam mats. Tire prep for the standard foam mats is pretty high, since tires glaze over easily and need to be cleaned and scuffed for each run. On RCP, there doesnt need to be much tire maintenance at all for consistent running.

As for steering locking one direction or another, I would open the servo and see if there is any debris or flashing from the mold on the gears. You can use fine sand paper and sand the rear of the gears smooth to prevent any binding.

Without having touched an MA-020, I cannot really comment on the slop between the tie rod and knuckle. A little clearance is needed to prevent binding, but any more than that may be too much.

For tie rods, I have always preferred plastic tie rods over metal for anything but F1 cars. F1, I prefer the feel of the plastic, but for durability with the exposed wheels metal was necessary. Plastic tie rods tend to have faster movement and the slight flex of the plastic helps protect the knuckle and servo from damage.

If you could post a video of the slop you have, it might help diagnose the issue.
Sweet! So, first off what would be the best way to post a video? I can see the option to post a photo but it does not let me select a video.

As far a sanding the rear of the gears I dont think I understand what you mean by "rear".

What are some good North America based hobby sites that sell aftermarket parts for Mini zs? I have been having trouble finding a site that has a good selection in stock.

Do you know if it is possible or even beneficial to convert the front end to the kingpin design? The reason being, I cant seem to find a lot of aftermarket stuff for the hinge pin front end.

Last question.. for now hahaha. Is there any way to find out what the stock setup is (wheel offset and toe/camber angle)? I know you said that you havent touched the MA020 but you seem to know more than anyone else that I have found haha.

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2018, 03:58 PM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Host it on youtube, and post a link here.

rear of the gear, would be the back face of it...
Place them like you see in the image below on a fine grit sandpaper, and give them a light rub. Just to be sure that the rear face is smooth and not binding on a different gear. Then clean them up and place them back in. I do this on all of my cars when I first build them.

Kind of limited to KenonHobbies, shop @ Mini-zracer, HKSrc. Ive been out of the hobby for a few years, so dont know what else there is now.

I see no reason to switch from a-arm to kingpin design. Its a step backwards. Even a stock a-arm should perform equal to the best kingpin design.

Wheel offset is specific to the car. Toe standard is 0d front and .5d toe in rear if I remember correctly. I typically always ran the standard toe on my cars.
Tim3 likes this.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

..Hi Ghostrid3r

What EMU is saying, the gears are molded and some may still have some of the casting tabs on them and are not flat. Those tab's can/could hit on gear next to it.
Check the gears that they are smooth and have clearance to move freely.

EMU.. good info and will now make that a part of my routine before taking my cars to the track !
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 AM
EMU
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
..Hi Ghostrid3r

What EMU is saying, the gears are molded and some may still have some of the casting tabs on them and are not flat. Those tab's can/could hit on gear next to it.
Check the gears that they are smooth and have clearance to move freely.

EMU.. good info and will now make that a part of my routine before taking my cars to the track !
Thanks for the additional details about the molding.

I spent about 9 years racing mini-z, then took a little break. I know these cars and hop ups more than just about anyone that I know of in the hobby up until 2014. I'm getting back into racing now, so I have been playing catch up as there are quite a few new options in the scale.

I am working with a few friends to get a club track going in central NJ. I will post more information as it becomes available for those interested.

Last edited by EMU; 02-23-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

To anyone that races mini z's @ Hobby Town Hickory N.C.
They are racing this Friday,9.

Me and my friend are going and hope to see anyone who can make it come
We will be there around 5:30.

Come on out
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for the additional details about the molding.

I spent about 9 years racing mini-z, then took a little break. I know these cars and hop ups more than just about anyone that I know of in the hobby up until 2014. I'm getting back into racing now, so I have been playing catch up as there are quite a few new options in the scale.

I am working with a few friends to get a club track going in central NJ. I will post more information as it becomes available for those interested.
Where in central NJ?
I may also take a jump into the mini Z world, but have some questions about what the current chassis motor and batts are i used to race 1/10th TC so not new to rc , only wanna but once donít wanna get a rtr to sell in two weeks for the race trim items... any help would be appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service