Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Indiana Micro Championship >

Indiana Micro Championship

Indiana Micro Championship

Old 01-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Okay, as promised, here's the A-Main results from this weekend.

Thanks for the props on this weekends' race. We had a great time here and hoped all you guys enjoyed it. Other than a little loose wire glitch in the very first race, everything was perfect. Everybody clear your calenders for this time next year, because it will be back!

Also thanks a ton to the guys from Castle Creations. They are the perfect professional representatives for any company, were extremely helpful to our local drivers, and gave away FIVE Mamba packages to boot.

Dune, Nick, thank all your racers for coming down. You put on an amazing race in the unlimited class. We're all looking forward to watching that again next year.

BRP-

1- Kurt Lechel
2. Time Waaso
3. Dave Cook

Micro Sedan Stock

1. Wesley Dennis
2. James Denmark
3. Mike Hull

Formula Truggy

1. Tim Mohr
2. Wesley Dennis
3. Jason Annis

1/18 Buggy

1. Kris Poloncak
2. Ron Trobaugh
3. Bob Swartz

1/18 Truck

1. Tim Mohr
2. Jason Annis
3. Robert Taber

Unlimited

1. Nick Smrt
2. Ron Trobaugh
3. Dan Louis
Old 01-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Just wanted to say thanks to the crew at indy slots for putting on a great race, everyone seemed to have a great time! Congrats to nick on his win in unlimited, his car looked amazing all weekend. Already looking forward to the race next year.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Arrow

I went and all i could say was "WOW" those minis with the BL motors r quick. didnt race but watched. it was fun tho..
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Nick,

I (Kris Poloncak) had a question to ask you about your car, if you could please call me on my cell phone (219-510-2663) I would appreciate it. Thanks, and again congrtas on your win.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just wanted to thank Indy Slots for a great show. The track layout was fun and everything went like clock work. We can't wait to come down and do it again with you all.

I do however want to bring up a cause for concern regarding race class specifications and tech legitimacy. I don't want to start a flame because I know that we all do this to have fun, and i know there is no sanctioning body like ROAR setting up rules for micro classes, but ... I raced in the Unlimited On-road class which I assumed was any 1/18 chassis, 1/18 body, 1/18 tires, motor, batts, etc.

In my race, there was a 1/18 truck running a 1/12th scale lola. I originally felt that vehicle will be no problem to race with, considering that this was an Unlimited class. By the 3rd Q, I felt that the larger body was a distraction on the peripheral vision and a problem to pass in the tight infield. This is the only class that I can see this getting by with most other club racers, but in any other scale racing you would not ever see a mix of class items. Like a 1/12 pan with touring body in 1/12 lola ... or a 1/10 235mm On-road Outlaw in a 1/10 200mm Nitro Touring class. That's because out of fairness to each racer, the balance of skill and scale will be a closer match if everyone stayed within the parameters of their chosen class.

At the speeds that Unlimited were going, I was out-weighed or out-tractioned on the straight away into the sweeper and was (accidentally) knocked into a wall which caused my entire front lower chassis to crack off. Now if we were the same scale, it might have been a case of rubbin-n-lovin and keep on racing, but I was done for that heat. Again, I not trying to flame or bash anyone, I just hope that the next State Championship will concider defining the rules and enforce them when recognized. A lot of people are new to organized micro racing of this caliber, and I hope no one is offended by my suggestions or comments, I'm just trying to help iron things out for future races.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

I agree, Kid. Personally, I had no significant problems getting by him. He seemed to be a courteous driver (or at least was attempting to be). Perhaps he didn't know what he was getting into when he signed up for that class. I think he was running a Vendetta with a 1/12 scale oval body. Would have been better if he were asked to run with the Formula Truggy class, as they were the same type of vehicle.
A lack of clarity, for class definitions, is needed in 'small' scale racing. Different cars/trucks are popular at different tracks. A lot of racers are shocked, when they see the level of performance an unlimited 1/18 on-road is capable of.
The owner of the track, has a slot car backround, and is less knowledgeable with regards to R/C classes and traditions. The practice fee Friday night is an example. He probably felt as if the racers were trying to pull something over on him, and the racers were not expecting a fee for practicing for this event. I don't think anybody cared much about shelling out a lousy five bucks, just wasn't expected.
The race was run extremely well, and I look forward to another visit.
Perhaps a seperate weekend for on and off-road next year? That would be a lot easier on the staff. More classes could be added. Such as; direct drive (pan car) stock, direct drive open, and maybe 1/14 stock and mod? The new Recoil should be very popular.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I can't really speak for Doug (track owner), but as the "unofficial" promoter I was taken back to see the vendetta out there as well. The main problem, as you've all stated, was a grey area in the rules. We will be sure to be specific in regards to chassis width, wheelbase, and body size in the future. It was the first time for us.

Thanks for your concern, no problem at all.