Official AE RC18 Thread! >

Official AE RC18 Thread!

Like Tree1Likes

Official AE RC18 Thread!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That was just the quickest and simplest example that came into my head

And I'm looking at trying an MIP spool for my 18R, what are your thoughts? I've never owned a vehicle with a spool/one-way, and I won't' say that it needs it but it could be worth trying out. I've driven a friend's TC3 with a one-way and it liked to be driven much more aggressive through the turns than my TC4 running diffs at both ends, and I was thinking I might like that driving characteristic for my 18R.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What the heck is a spool? lol
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Does anyone know why my 18T accelerates faster in reverse than forward?

Also, if the front of the truck is as high as it can be, about how high is it?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Suspended

Still?

You did something wrong.

About that high.

Last edited by WFO7640; 01-12-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

A spool usually allows the front wheels of a four wheel drive to free wheel when the brakes are applied. This allows you to have braking without locking up the front and causing a spin. Often used in touring cars.

If reverse is faster than forward it would sound like you need to reset your radio and ESC.

Max height would depend on the springs, oil weight, and how many shock collars or how much you tightened down the threaded collars (if installed).
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by clamber
Does anyone know why my 18T accelerates faster in reverse than forward?

Also, if the front of the truck is as high as it can be, about how high is it?
FIrst part - Check your controller. Make sure your throttle endpoints are all the way up and what not, or if you have a Sidewinder (thought you did) try to reprogram it. Under full throttle make sure the light is solid green for forward and solid red for full reverse. Yellow is neutral.

Second part - If your still having this issue, (not sure if this was posted), How your shocks are mounted plays a roll in ride height. If you want it level move the shocks around (dont ask how just figure it out!!).

I have no problem answering questions but as others have stated, there is a lot of things that you just need to look at yourself and figure out on your own. RC requires trial + error and plenty of exploration! Good luck and exhaust all possibilities before asking help. You will learn a lot more a lot sooner.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I tried everything I guess Ill just deal with it.

Last edited by clamber; 01-12-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

So you tried....

Different springs, different amounts of spring preload, different oils, different shaft lengths, different internal spacers, different mounting positions, and running all combinations of front/rear shocks?

You can put long (rear) shocks on the front ya know.... just experiment.

Did you ever think running long-shafts in the front shocks to give a little more height?

Think of it like math. You want to get the number 2. How many possible ways are there to get the number 2 as an answer? There's more ways than just 1+1 (that being the obvious first choice).
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by cwoods34
So you tried....

Different springs, different amounts of spring preload, different oils, different shaft lengths, different internal spacers, different mounting positions, and running all combinations of front/rear shocks?

You can put long (rear) shocks on the front ya know.... just experiment.

Did you ever think running long-shafts in the front shocks to give a little more height?

Think of it like math. You want to get the number 2. How many possible ways are there to get the number 2 as an answer? There's more ways than just 1+1 (that being the obvious first choice).
Lol when i said that I meant I tried everything about the reverse accelerating faster.

Ill need to take another look at the front shocks and see if theres anything Im missing
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
A spool usually allows the front wheels of a four wheel drive to free wheel when the brakes are applied. This allows you to have braking without locking up the front and causing a spin. Often used in touring cars.
What you described is a one way. A spool is a solid axle which delivers power to both front wheels evenly 100% of the time. Can be useful in tight tracks where maximum pull is needed out of the corners. Not good for throttle happy bashing tho. A spool can put tremendous strain on the drivetrain.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
Not good for throttle happy bashing tho. A spool can put tremendous strain on the drivetrain.
True, and even more so when there's an abundance of traction and your really putting the power down such as in carpet oval.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
What you described is a one way. A spool is a solid axle which delivers power to both front wheels evenly 100% of the time.
+1
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Do ppl use spool for Offroad Rcs ???

I know we used to use spools for onroad drifting on 1/10.
To lock up the rear, and paired that up with a front one way.
But, all it was good for, was drifiting.
For Reg racing, it wasn't to good unless you were on a straight line.

If you going faster in reverse try to see if ur remote has a switch to swap fwd and reverse.
My old Transmitter had that and reverse was never at 100% (75% normally)
and my forward was 100%. and when i had it set up wrong it went 75% fwd and 100% reverse = Rev faster than Fwd.

This happens if you have JR equipment in the RC and run airtronics radio since their signals are inversed.

And ofcourse other brands...

Try that ...

PS: Reprogramming the ESC is required after flipping that switch !!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by clamber
Yeah I tried everything I guess Ill just deal with it.
Deal with a improperly functioning vehicle? You paid for it, take the advice you are asking for and figure it out. Did you make sure you were getting the proper lights on the ESC as I stated above. If the lights are OK the reverse forward "problem?" may be a figment of your imagination.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I agree 110% with Dob. I would tear it down again and rebuild it. Can you rebuild it with the help of someone who has experience with building kits?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.