Official AE RC18 Thread!

Like Tree1Likes

Official AE RC18 Thread!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default steering

Hi Guys,
I have a buddy with a rc18b, early model.
anyway it steers like crap whatever direction you turn it it stays so your always driving it.
What can I do to help him? give parts if possible.
I have a sneaky suspesion it is the saver more than servo but it may be both.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Jump on ebay and get the Driven Products centerlink from Thetoys and the 3racing servo saver. Much better.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrowles91
I just ordered the Hitec hs65mg and am slightly worried I won't find a screw to fit it proper to the saver. Can anyone give me a link to what I need to make this work?? Apparently it's a 2,3x8mm machined screw.
Sorry I dont have a link, but I have heard of people calling Hitec and they send you one for free. Myself I have simply used a 2.5mm thread tap and fixed it so a more readily available screw could be used.
Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Hi Guys,
I have a buddy with a rc18b, early model.
anyway it steers like crap whatever direction you turn it it stays so your always driving it.
What can I do to help him? give parts if possible.
I have a sneaky suspesion it is the saver more than servo but it may be both.
Thanks
This is a common issue with the first gen RC18s. The first thing you will notice is the draglink connecting the two bellcranks bends and flexes around like crazy. The servo saver is also very weak after just a run or two. There are a few ways to go about fixing this and both are equally as good in my opinion. First is the DP draglink and 3racing saver as mentioned in the last post. You can get them on ebay thru thetoyz, or you can go directly to their website at www.thetoyz.com and see many other great parts. The other option, also from thetoyz, is the entire aluminum steering rack that comes with servo saver reinforcements. The aluminum setup has a little more bling but does cost a few bucks more.

Now that the steering is not soaking up every bump and turn the car sees, you can count the days until the stock servo poops out. The servo question is a whole 'nother post, so when you get ready for that post back and we will be glad to help.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just got a RC18t connected everything and set my end points. But, when I drive it, it tends to have a mind of it's own. Throttle stuck on, turns, doesn't move. When it's glitching I lose control of steering until it hits something. Now, I've used two remotes, two receivers and set end points both times I changed them. Same results. Please help!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Is this a stock brushed ESC? Have you done the Setup Procedure, as seen in the manual linked below? With what radios have you tried this setup? MOre info and we can probably help better.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca..._ESCmanual.pdf

EPA adjustments should be a simple set it and forget it ordeal. You want max or very close to max for setup, then it would only be used to limit throttle or brake power.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Is this a stock brushed ESC? Have you done the Setup Procedure, as seen in the manual linked below? With what radios have you tried this setup? MOre info and we can probably help better.

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca..._ESCmanual.pdf

EPA adjustments should be a simple set it and forget it ordeal. You want max or very close to max for setup, then it would only be used to limit throttle or brake power.
Stock esc, motor and battery. The battery was checked also and was resting at 7.33 volts.
What you linked to is what I was referring to setting endpoints. I did it with a Spektrum DX3 and SR300 receiver and a Flysky radio and receiver, both with same results.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I just got a RC18t connected everything and set my end points. But, when I drive it, it tends to have a mind of it's own. Throttle stuck on, turns, doesn't move. When it's glitching I lose control of steering until it hits something. Now, I've used two remotes, two receivers and set end points both times I changed them. Same results. Please help!
I just went through what sounds like the same situation setting up my 18R tonight. Stock ESC, servo, motor & battery, swapped receiver and transmitter with my KO. The problem I discovered was I had the transmitter set to high speed, after I set it normal speed problem solved
Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dag32
I just went through what sounds like the same situation setting up my 18R tonight. Stock ESC, servo, motor & battery, swapped receiver and transmitter with my KO. The problem I discovered was I had the transmitter set to high speed, after I set it normal speed problem solved
I'm not sure what high speed means. I've never messed with anything like that. I use the same remote and same receivers in all my kits. This is the only time I've experienced this.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

I am not sure for every radio but I think he means the frame rate, often called high or low speed. Some ESCs and servos only like one setting and it can cause issues if it is not correct. Its certainly worth a look to see if you have the adjustment on your Spektrum, but I am pretty certain the Flysky does not.

The ESC is not known for its durability so it is a suspect, but often these types of things can be traced back to something so simple we tend to overlook it. Other than that I can only suggest you check all of the connections very closely and maybe try moving your receiver/antenna around to see if it helps.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I'm not sure what high speed means. I've never messed with anything like that. I use the same remote and same receivers in all my kits. This is the only time I've experienced this.
Check this on your transmitter (page 17 of your manual, I think).

Last edited by dag32; 01-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

So, I changed the frame rate and the receiver didn't mind but the speed control didn't communicate at all. I changed it back and shoved a brand new 2s lipo on it. IT SEEMS TO WORK! I just did preliminary testing on my work bench but I was able to floor it back off throttle and turn etc. Appears that I have a bad battery then?? I will do more driving tests to make sure I've ruled everything else out.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 3racing

I cant find the steering servo, bellcrank, bearing kit anywhere. thetoys has been out of stock forever. Any idea where I can find it?
I have also seen just the bearings, will that work with the crappy gpm steering kit I have?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi, I have a rc18t rip off and today i purchased the wheel hubs so your able to mount 1/10 foam tyres but it seems the thread on the axle isnt long enough. When the wheel is on, the thread finishes flush with the outside of the tyre and i cant get the nut on it.

Being a clone im wondering if the axles are the same size or not, any chance someone could post the specks or a picture of a authentic ae18t axle,

Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

hey guys, I have an awesome rc18t package, its a roller with every upgrade possible http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...r-package.html
Old 02-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default setup help

Anyone care to share their setup for an outdoor clay track? The track has a few small jumps. Half of the track is tight turns, the other half is a long straight.

thanks for any help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.