Like Tree29Likes

Reflex Racing Rx28

Old 07-17-2022, 06:03 AM
  #16  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I did my build yesterday. The front end has basically no slop, but is free. Will add a lot of precision in the steering.

Had a couple issues with hardware, Im not a fan of the 1.3mm hex. In addition to the harware not being terribly strong. At least all of the set screws are .9mm rather than a philips like some other cars have.
NutDriver likes this.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-24-2022, 06:15 PM
  #17  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 21
Default

I have a setup question.
I built it per the build and setup instructions.
Set the droop in the front. Set the ride height in the rear to 2mm. Problem is, my ride height on the side of the chassis and the front is more like 3 mm.
How do get a level ride height front to rear?
ericm7030 is offline  
Old 07-26-2022, 04:17 PM
  #18  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ericm7030 View Post
I have a setup question.
I built it per the build and setup instructions.
Set the droop in the front. Set the ride height in the rear to 2mm. Problem is, my ride height on the side of the chassis and the front is more like 3 mm.
How do get a level ride height front to rear?
What diameter front tire are you using? I find that the car likes a smaller range in the front tire compared to others. I typically run 21.8-22.4 on most of my setups (no shims under front knuckles on GLR), and my setup dropped onto the car from kit for pretty well. If running large diameter tires (over 22.6), I think you will find the nose up in the air.

To lower ride height with larger diameter tires, you will probably need to snip the damper pistons to allow more uptravel on the arms (as described in the build guide). Then reduce preload to find your sprung ride height, and reduce droop to match it.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:53 AM
  #19  
Tech Initiate
 
walkonking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
Default

I had nothing but problems with this car. There were no threads on the turnbuckle , 2 of the screws were damaged (God for bid you get extra screws for a $360 car) , upper arms had 3 to 4 mm of slop , lower arm was split and missing diff parts. I'm ready to just chuck this car in the garbage........ Ok rant over. Christon was pretty good to reply and had replacements in mail pretty quick. Thank goodness for Rich at Brooklyn Hobbies who has been VERY generous and supplying me with the parts I needed. Mitch at Brooklyn hobbies is also very helpful and a good person to deal with...... Hopefully this car lives up to all the hype!
walkonking is offline  
Old 07-27-2022, 09:24 AM
  #20  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

The guys at Brooklyn Hobbies are great. Not only do they offer great service, but are fast racers and know the nuance of the equipment.

Sorry to hear that you had issues with your kit. My only real issue was some ball cups for the dampers were a bit tough to thread into, and one of my front shock bodies was shallow (not bored as deep as the other). I drilled out the ball cups a bit with a hand drill which helped thread them, and snipped the tips of both front pistons to have equal travel and damping. I reported both issues back to CT and will be rectified.
walkonking and NutDriver like this.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:27 PM
  #21  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 21
Default

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
What diameter front tire are you using? I find that the car likes a smaller range in the front tire compared to others. I typically run 21.8-22.4 on most of my setups (no shims under front knuckles on GLR), and my setup dropped onto the car from kit for pretty well. If running large diameter tires (over 22.6), I think you will find the nose up in the air.

To lower ride height with larger diameter tires, you will probably need to snip the damper pistons to allow more uptravel on the arms (as described in the build guide). Then reduce preload to find your sprung ride height, and reduce droop to match it.
I'm using the low profile PN KS slick's on the front and Marka V1 R05 in the rear..

They measure 23 right now. I have a tire truer and can turn them down to achieve the smaller diameter.

I'm measuring pretty close to 2.5mm in the front which would make sense then.

I assume you're running the stock setup in the RX28 with the 1.5mm shim on the front knuckle then?

ericm7030 is offline  
Old 07-27-2022, 06:11 PM
  #22  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ericm7030 View Post
I'm using the low profile PN KS slick's on the front and Marka V1 R05 in the rear..

They measure 23 right now. I have a tire truer and can turn them down to achieve the smaller diameter.

I'm measuring pretty close to 2.5mm in the front which would make sense then.

I assume you're running the stock setup in the RX28 with the 1.5mm shim on the front knuckle then?
I built with 1.5mm shim under the knuckle. I used PN KS medium low height tires on 19mm wheels, which is 22.2mm diameter when mounted.

I almost only use 19mm front wheels, have been since about 2008 on my 2wd cars before tire truers were really an available option for mini-z. With standard tires I cut them down to 22.5 to start, but run down to 21.5 before they give up. On GLR, I do a lot of ride height with the wheel size because it's a bit of a pain to adjust on that front end. With the RX28, I adjust with the shock collars then set the droop.



Last edited by EMU; 07-27-2022 at 07:23 PM.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-28-2022, 04:24 AM
  #23  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 21
Default

EMU,

thanks for the info. I did a quick search, and it doesn't look like there's many choices in the 19mm dia.

Kenon only had the solid white delrin wheel in 19mm and they have the 5H wheel in 19mm but only in a +3 offset.

I don't care about looks, but was just looking for other options as well.

Is there a specific wheel you could recommend that you use?
ericm7030 is offline  
Old 07-28-2022, 07:01 AM
  #24  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I use the PN delrin dish most of the time, or the Atomic S6 19mm which is discontinued.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/393088509765 These are the wheels which I currently have on my rx28 in .5mm offset. They were only available in .5mm steps from 0 to 1.5mm. With the RX28 having an additional 1.3mm track width per side, I like the .5mm to put me at a similar stance to the GLR with 2mm PN wheels. The Atomic wheels are also closer to 9mm wide rather than 8.5mm.

The white Atomic wheels are black with white paint, that paint can make the bearing a little tight when fitting. It also spaces the bearings a little further apart from eachother, so on cars with a longer axle which would need a shim to take up the gap (GLR), the shim is not needed. I have asked the team Atomic factory drivers to see if they can put these wheels back into production.

The PN delrin wheels are a bit better on tolerance, but only come in 1mm steps.

I just got some DXR 20mm wheels to start testing, to see if I can get the setup to work with a more common wheel size.
liljohn1064 likes this.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-29-2022, 04:46 AM
  #25  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 21
Default

I ordered a set of those wheels to give them a shot and see where I end up on my front ride height.

One last question on your setup, what offset are you running on the rears? I'm running a +1 right now and it seems to be pretty good for body clearance.

EMU,

thanks for the tips and info as always. I appreciate it.
ericm7030 is offline  
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM
  #26  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,529
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ericm7030 View Post
I ordered a set of those wheels to give them a shot and see where I end up on my front ride height.

One last question on your setup, what offset are you running on the rears? I'm running a +1 right now and it seems to be pretty good for body clearance.

EMU,

thanks for the tips and info as always. I appreciate it.
I tested my RX28 in SuperStock trim, with the Jomurema body. Repositioned side clips, lexan roof, and standard front clip.

I have +2mm DXR Gold wheels in the rear. The Gold wheels from DXR are a painted black (carbon reinforced) wheel. Fairly stiff and durable. The DXR white are an FRP, which offer more flex, but are not as durable.

I generally like to not run the widest offset available, mostly for safety of the car/wheels, so the body takes any hits instead of the wheels/suspension. The Jomurema body can take a +3N/+3W on a standard car... which on the RX28 would be +1.5n in front as a maximum. I dont really like going that wide, but many do like wide offsets, I feel even besides the safety of keeping the wheels tucked, the lower offset provide the response that I prefer and more corner speed.
EMU is offline  
Old 07-29-2022, 11:47 AM
  #27  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,918
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I ran 3 packs through my RX28 last night and had excellent results. Kit setup for damping (30K in all the dampers), out of the package PN KS firm low profile front tires with a tape gap on the outside of the +0 offset wheel and Marka V1 R5s on a +2 offset wheel. I ran the Jomurema body and Reflex front body mount. I have just enough preload on the front and center springs so that if the car is pushed down then rolled back and forth, it will return to ride height. Side springs just touching.

1st pack - The car was instantly fast. I did have issues in tight corners when trying to scrub speed. The front tires were at 23.2, so I trued them to a rough cut of 22.6 and then used an fingernail file to dress them down to 22.4
2nd pack - The car was stable and fast for the whole run. Zero traction rolls. Ride height at 2.5 in the rear, 2.0 in the front. No changes needed for now. I will try a medium front tire next.
3rd pack- I didn't need to tune anything. I ran consistently and with no fear of traction roll. The car was not edgy. You could push it into a mistake, but it was one of the best runs I've had in SuperStock.

As EMU said, front tire diameter is the big thing to manage. I'm going to try some plumbers tape in the rear bearing holder to reduce play in the cup.

I'm running the Furitek Momentum ESC and Team Powers 3500 with 360mAh Fantom batteries. Radio is the Flysky Noble NB4.

We race on Friday's: 7PM Central to around 10PM Central. https://madisonminirc.liverc.com/ or watch us live on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/777205416289080
EMU, NutDriver and Kremzeek like this.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 08-16-2022, 02:17 PM
  #28  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
Scionara05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queens nyc
Posts: 1,290
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Nevermind
EMU likes this.

Last edited by Scionara05; 08-17-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Scionara05 is offline  
Old 08-26-2022, 11:20 PM
  #29  
Tech Adept
 
olkleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: northern VA
Posts: 107
Default Some build tips

Nearing the end of my build. A few tips I wish I had before starting.

I used the rear shock shaft to run the thread for the steering linkages. The thread is the same but the shock shaft is much larger and easier to handle. Remember one of the threads on the turnbuckle is reverse so this trick wonít work there.

The set screws for the front and rear droop adjustment are small and easy to strip when there is no thread. I used one of the larger button head screw in the kit to run the thread.

I also got an assorted set of M2 hardware from Amazon. Unfortunately you donít get much spare hardware. I only had one ball bearing, and counter sunk screw left over.


this is the first kit Iíve put together after being out the hobby for about 11 years. It was very challenging for me but now that itís nearly done itís totally worth it. It does take a lot of patience and a few times I had to put it down and come back the next day.

good luck


EMU and NutDriver like this.

Last edited by olkleaf; 08-26-2022 at 11:42 PM.
olkleaf is offline  
Old 08-27-2022, 05:59 AM
  #30  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I ran 3 packs through my RX28 last night and had excellent results. Kit setup for damping (30K in all the dampers), out of the package PN KS firm low profile front tires with a tape gap on the outside of the +0 offset wheel and Marka V1 R5s on a +2 offset wheel. I ran the Jomurema body and Reflex front body mount. I have just enough preload on the front and center springs so that if the car is pushed down then rolled back and forth, it will return to ride height. Side springs just touching.

1st pack - The car was instantly fast. I did have issues in tight corners when trying to scrub speed. The front tires were at 23.2, so I trued them to a rough cut of 22.6 and then used an fingernail file to dress them down to 22.4
2nd pack - The car was stable and fast for the whole run. Zero traction rolls. Ride height at 2.5 in the rear, 2.0 in the front. No changes needed for now. I will try a medium front tire next.
3rd pack- I didn't need to tune anything. I ran consistently and with no fear of traction roll. The car was not edgy. You could push it into a mistake, but it was one of the best runs I've had in SuperStock.

As EMU said, front tire diameter is the big thing to manage. I'm going to try some plumbers tape in the rear bearing holder to reduce play in the cup.

I'm running the Furitek Momentum ESC and Team Powers 3500 with 360mAh Fantom batteries. Radio is the Flysky Noble NB4.

We race on Friday's: 7PM Central to around 10PM Central. https://madisonminirc.liverc.com/ or watch us live on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/777205416289080
May I ask which rx you went with for your build? I too use a Noble

I see you me mention tires, but which wheels did you end up going with?
amp3d is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.