Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By EMU

Mini z

Old 12-10-2021, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Mini z

I’m finally going to buy a mini z. Which is best to start with. I run 1/10 scale onroad black carpet so something similar would be awesome. Pros and cons. Help
Old 12-11-2021, 06:08 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Where do you plan to use the car? On the carpet, an RCP foam tile type track, or non prepared surface? Do you want to use AAA or LiPo power?

If you want a micro touring car, or run on unprepared surfaces, then AWD platforms would be better suited.

Since you have experience in the hobby, and probably have your own radio systems, I would look past most of the RTRs which are brushed and can only use the kit radio systems or Noble with an FHSS module. The Mini-Z EVO has better electronics, and has option receivers to use multiple radio systems (no Sanwa yet though).

If you plan to run on prepared surfaces, you may want to look at the GL-Racing GLA or Atomic BZ3. GLA is a shaft driven micro touring car while the BZ3 is a belt driven one. These come in kit form, and you need to build them up similar to the larger kits. They also are lipo based platforms, where all Kyosho Mini-Z are still using AAA NiMh batteries. There are also 2wd platforms which are similar in scope.

Is there is a club in the area which you would want to race? If so that would probably be where you should check first what the class structures are, and which direction you would want to go. Some only use NiMH Mini-Z classes, while others mostly LiPo based platforms and only run Mini-Z AAA for their entry level classes like box stock (RTR cars with limited mods) or Stock class (option parts with 3500kv motors on AAA).

For experienced 1/10 drivers who are already in the hobby, I tend to direct them towards the LiPo based kits rather than the Mini-Z platforms if they are going to race. These are typically faster, and what is used in modified classes. The Mini-Z pretty much makes up stock racing classes, and they are very competitive with eachother, but run out of performance compared to the LiPo platforms. The typical cost of both platforms for a raceworthy car are pretty similar. If you arent going to be racing, then the choice usually goes to what surface you will drive on, whether you want to use a hard body (Autoscale) and how fast you want to go...

Here is a timelapse build of the the GLA, its an older video but will give you the idea of the base kit build...
Kremzeek and museguy like this.