Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Looking for a new radio and receiver? >

Looking for a new radio and receiver?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Timmahh

Looking for a new radio and receiver?

Old 03-15-2021, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Looking for a new radio and receiver?

Hello All,

I'm looking to upgrade my Reflex 14 and will also be looking at getting some other RC's in the future. I'd like a good radio that I can pair with multiple cars. I'd like to install a new Savox SV1257MG or a Spektrum A5060 high voltage servo and I'd like the smallest receiver that can handle the voltage. I'll be running a 2s and 3s LiPo. Looking at a Futaba or Spektrum controller/receiver. I'm leaning toward the Futaba for nostalgia's sake since I used to have a Magnum Jr back in the day, and I'd like to spend $150 or less.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tony.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bashing?
Racing?
Both?

Personally I like the Radiolink RC6GS. 80.00, works very well. can take a 4s pack. gets nearly 1800 ft of reception.
10 channel memory, Full Mixing on all channels. V2 Tx is well laid out with 2 thumb buttons.
Great Actuators. Some say it feels cheap, but it doesn't feel any cheaper than a high end Futaba in my hands.

The Flysky Noble 4 is also a good radio from what I have read. about 160 on that one. Very capable from what I understand.

I still have and use my old Nomadio React Radio on a couple rigs. My No Preps to be exact.
TonyBen likes this.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TonyBen
Hello All,

I'm looking to upgrade my Reflex 14 and will also be looking at getting some other RC's in the future. I'd like a good radio that I can pair with multiple cars. I'd like to install a new Savox SV1257MG or a Spektrum A5060 high voltage servo and I'd like the smallest receiver that can handle the voltage. I'll be running a 2s and 3s LiPo. Looking at a Futaba or Spektrum controller/receiver. I'm leaning toward the Futaba for nostalgia's sake since I used to have a Magnum Jr back in the day, and I'd like to spend $150 or less.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tony.
I was in the same position you were a couple of months back and was also leaning towards a Futaba, but then someone on this forum recommended a Sanwa MT-S. RCMart currently has the transmitter only for $110. You won't find a better radio in your price range and it is perfectly suitable for racing and bashing.

I chose the cheapest shipping when I ordered mine in January and had it in my hands in 2-3 days. Small Sanwa knockoff receivers can be purchased for as low as $25 (Das Mikro). The knockoffs work great, there is a thread dedicated to them in the Radio and Electronics section.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Bashing?
Racing?
Both?

Personally I like the Radiolink RC6GS. 80.00, works very well. can take a 4s pack. gets nearly 1800 ft of reception.
10 channel memory, Full Mixing on all channels. V2 Tx is well laid out with 2 thumb buttons.
Great Actuators. Some say it feels cheap, but it doesn't feel any cheaper than a high end Futaba in my hands.

The Flysky Noble 4 is also a good radio from what I have read. about 160 on that one. Very capable from what I understand.

I still have and use my old Nomadio React Radio on a couple rigs. My No Preps to be exact.
I like the RC6GS as well, I just sold mine last week, but receivers are $15-20 and have battery voltage telemetry as well.

It does feel a little cheap, at least compared to the Flysky Noble NB4 that I just got but it's got 6 channels (vs 4 for the NB4).

The NB4 does have 4WS modes and is much more programmable, and receivers are $35-40, so more expensive but not Futaba levels of expensive. The other thing I didn't like about the RC6GS was you couldn't change the model memory name, so you had to remember which car "Model 1" was, etc, vs the Flysky which lets you rename the models.