Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zxcvb1t

New mini car

Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? New mini car

So, I was thinking about getting a new car, and I wanted a smaller scale so I would have the capabilities of driving it inside. I had been looking around recently and this is what I have come up with: Wltoys k989, Mini Z, scx24, and Losi Mini-T. I'm not sure which one to pick, I was kind of leaning towards the Wltoys since it is so cheap. I'm still not 100% sure. Do y'all have any good advice/info on which car would be best? Thanks!

Edit: I was going to include the Mini E-Revo, but it's a bit pricey and not really indoor.

Last edited by Catterlog; 01-24-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess it depends on the sort of space you have inside, as well as the surface. Also, if you have pets, hair can be a bit of an annoyance for the smaller on-road vehicles.

The SCX24 is a fantastic rig overall but it's slow and loud, and unless you build some sort of obstacles, it can get boring.

The Wltoys might be a decent overall pick, and it could possibly run on carpet okay.

My current personal favorite is the Tamiya Mini Lunch Box. It's decently fast for indoor, can drive on carpet, can wheelie and jump, and other than the 370 motor, it can use 1/10 electronics. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't handle great and is top heavy, but it is a lot of fun. I put LaTrax Teton wheels/tires on mine to give it a more monster truck vibe.

Anyway, didn't mean to cloudy the waters. Out of your choices, the Wltoys sounds like it might be a good choice. I own a Mini-z, SCX24, and a Losi Micro Rally (similar to the Wltoys), so that is my basis of comparison.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Check out the Carisma GT24. They are solidly built cars and come RTR with a brushless motor. The GT24B buggy version is harder to come by now.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

I was going to say looking into the Carisma GT24. They are nice cars and brushless. I have a rally and a buggy.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:28 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The scope of use matters considerably. Are you planning to make a track, drift, or just drive around the house.

2wd Mini-z is mostly a track car. It doesn't do well on non prepared surfaces. AWD mini-z would be better option for non prepared surfaces or drift.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Would I be able to use a Mini Z 4wd on flat pavement like a pavement hockey rink? Also, are the 4wd ones commonly raced?
Old 01-26-2021, 02:44 PM
Tech Initiate

+angrymelon The Mini Lunchbox is not really what I'm looking for, but I do think that I will get one in the future for a different project. Thanks for your response!
Old 01-27-2021, 03:50 AM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Catterlog View Post
Would I be able to use a Mini Z 4wd on flat pavement like a pavement hockey rink? Also, are the 4wd ones commonly raced?
you should be able to get away with use of the AWD mini-z on a smooth hockey rink. As long as you find the right tires and it doesn't have too many cracks and debris.

mini-z AWD is hit and miss when it comes to racing. It really depends on class structure at the local tracks. They can be pretty good on track, but most rule structures are focused on 2wd for the stock level classes, and AWD is often relegated to modified classes where the Kyosho platform is on the rear foot compared to kit cars such as the GL Racing GLA and Atomic BZ3 which are the same scale, but lipo powered and offer performance benefits.

A 2wd Z type car is very hard to get traction on non prepared surfaces, and are really track focused.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

I don't think running miniz on pavement will be a good idea. These little cars have so little ground clearence that you will scrtach the body and chassis very easily.

For racing, Kyosho's AWD platform isn't going to be competitive unless they are racing against themselves. The 030 will be better than the older 020 but it has its own fair share of problems as well. Awkward battery access, limited wheel base options and higher price tag than its RWD counterparts.
EMU likes this.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok then. The Mini Z is not really what I'm looking for. The only other car that I was mostly wondering about was the Losi Mini-T. Does anyone have any info on it? Thanks EMU & zxcvb1t for helping out.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Mini-T 2.0 is a fun little rig, fairly durable and is gaining aftermarket support. There's a sub group for it. Go say, "Hi."
Old 02-06-2021, 08:10 AM
Tech Initiate

+Vertebreaker Which version of the Carisma GT24 do you prefer, and would you say that the buggy version would compare to the Wltoys k959-B? or the Wltoys 144001/124019?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

+808DA6 Will do