R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   Timing equipment setup (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/1079405-timing-equipment-setup.html)

buggybattle 01-19-2021 06:43 AM

Timing equipment setup

Hey guys,

What are people using for mini z timing equipment. There seems to be a few options on the market... Also what transponders work the best ? I was hearing that the RF based ones have trouble with the dark windows on the auto scale bodies. Would the LED ones have the same problem ?

Thanks

New2novas 01-21-2021 06:32 AM

FWIW Ive only been to my local shop which uses ezlap. Works great for the most part. But I have a kyosho amg gt3 with tinted windows that occasionally will miss a register. Clear windows are fine and I bet I could position the transponder closer and at a better angle to get rid of the issues on the Mercedes body

superfly05 01-21-2021 01:02 PM

IMO, there are 3 basic categories: camera-based visual timers, Easylap-based systems (infrared), and iLap-based systems (also infrared). There are also RF tag ones, but I'm not familiar with those and don't know anyone who has used one.

The phone camera systems are really only good for one person, and are so-so for accuracy.

Easylap and iLap are similar; Easylap is cheaper for the system and for individual transponders, but it also has a delay in reporting that I find annoying. iLap is more expensive, but the reporting is instantaneous. In effect, this means if you're using it to practice, it calls out your lap time right as you cross the line, whereas the Easylap has a 3-5 second delay, and if you have more than one person on the track and the track has typical lap times, the audio reporting becomes useless.

Check out Next Level Timing software, it's the best.

buggybattle 01-22-2021 03:30 AM

Thanks for that. iLaps seems like the best option and I would definitely run Next Level Timing as it does look awesome!

superfly05 01-23-2021 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by New2novas (Post 15742760)
FWIW Ive only been to my local shop which uses ezlap. Works great for the most part. But I have a kyosho amg gt3 with tinted windows that occasionally will miss a register. Clear windows are fine and I bet I could position the transponder closer and at a better angle to get rid of the issues on the Mercedes body

Quite often, I see people put the transponder too far forward so it's under the hood, especially with rear-cab bodies like the AMG and Corvette. If you use a phone camera, you can see the infrared light in the transponder, it's critical that that component is visible through the windshield.

buggybattle 01-23-2021 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by superfly05 (Post 15743628)
Quite often, I see people put the transponder too far forward so it's under the hood, especially with rear-cab bodies like the AMG and Corvette. If you use a phone camera, you can see the infrared light in the transponder, it's critical that that component is visible through the windshield.

Thanks for the tip