• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By LJH

PN racing tire compounds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default PN racing tire compounds?

Can someone tell me the difference between the KS and the KS-M tires and also where to start in the soft-hardness range. It’s for my son and I and we are only at home on either hard wood or tile floor.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Probably get a quicker response in the MiniZ thread

Kyosho Mini-Z Series

Most that start trying to run floors find that dust becomes an issue. I know track can be more of investment then might be ready for. A number in the Facebook groups have found that anti fatigue mats work. It’s not the same as the actual track. But an acceptable alternative for many
superfly05 likes this.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The KS-M is designed for RCP tracks. Personally, I prefer the KS compound over the KS-M. The KS-M has never worked well for me.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:43 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dmill78
Can someone tell me the difference between the KS and the KS-M tires and also where to start in the soft-hardness range. It’s for my son and I and we are only at home on either hard wood or tile floor.
I ran on hardwood for a few months and what I learned is that it can not be clean enough. I would need to swiffer the floor every single time I ran and would need to clean (just plain water on a paper towel) the tires multiple times during a session. I tried a bunch of different Kyosho and PN tires and learned that going softer did not help and if anything softer tires just got dirtier faster. I ended up thinking PN Med Fronts and PN Soft Rears were the way to go.

If you have the space and budget I highly suggest you get a RCP track, it makes these cars so much more fun.

Cheers,
Jim

superfly05 likes this.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you for the information. So you would recommend RCP track? I’ve been looking into them. And was thinking about doing it over the anti fatigue mats as the tracks come with the bumpers and everything
Old 10-28-2020, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thank you for the information. So you would recommend RCP track? I’ve been looking into them. And was thinking about doing it over the anti fatigue mats as the tracks come with the bumpers and everything
If the expense is not an issue I would absolutely go the RCP route. An economic alternative is the tiles from Harbor Freight. While RCP performance is superior, the HF is very good on the smooth side. 1/4 or 1/2” Home Depot pvc makes effective economic barriers. I spent under $100 on this layout.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome!! I knew of the harbor freight tiles but the PVC bumpers look amazing thank you. Yes my main concern is space, and being able to easily pick up and store. Then compactness when stored
Old 10-29-2020, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Absolutely, one thing about RCP track is the Smoothness over the joint. I tried different tiles from hardware stores but none of them is as flat as rcp tiles.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LJH
I ran on hardwood for a few months and what I learned is that it can not be clean enough. I would need to swiffer the floor every single time I ran and would need to clean (just plain water on a paper towel) the tires multiple times during a session. I tried a bunch of different Kyosho and PN tires and learned that going softer did not help and if anything softer tires just got dirtier faster. I ended up thinking PN Med Fronts and PN Soft Rears were the way to go.

If you have the space and budget I highly suggest you get a RCP track, it makes these cars so much more fun.

Cheers,
Jim
Had a similar experience. Used to race on a painted plywood floor that we thoroughly wet-mopped with hot water / ammonia, and it was still a semi-drifting session, or like dirt track racing. You can't really experience what Mini Zs have to offer without an RCP or equivalent surface to run on.

I would also add that RCP allows you to set up the same track layout as someone else, so you can participate in things like HFAY and the Mini 96 Challenge, or even just fast laps on a given layout.