Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
1/28 Scale RTRC RTA Chassis >

1/28 Scale RTRC RTA Chassis

Like Tree10Likes

1/28 Scale RTRC RTA Chassis

Old 10-21-2020, 04:20 PM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
mugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/28 Scale RTRC RTA Chassis

Don't have this car myself but very curious about forum member feedbacks here if they have and ran it already how it compares other other cars? non owner thoughts and comments also welcomed.

At first look seems over simplified specially the rear end suspension system akin to Kyosho F1 (which is the one part of that car that worked well) but the more I look at it including the build video on this page the more I realize is a pretty clever design starting off with good basics of a heavy and wide bottom and rear plate for low CG and rapid airflow. needless to say on track performance will be the ultimate measure. A few good results being posted out of Asia but hard for me to know what the level of competition is in those specific races.






mugler is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 04:26 PM
  #2  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

One in my group is running it



I am not in this group. I run in the B group.
mugler likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 04:32 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
mugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
One in my group is running it


I am not in this group. I run in the B group.
Some really good driving going on there !
Can you tell which one in the video is his car & has he mentioned how he likes his RTA compared to whatever else he is running?
mugler is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 05:13 PM
  #4  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
Some really good driving going on there !
Can you tell which one in the video is his car & has he mentioned how he likes his RTA compared to whatever else he is running?
I know it’s not the red one.

from Friday night

about 1.40 into video. There’s a bit with just them on the track. Mark with a full upgraded GLR and Eric with RTRC. The GLR has the white front. They are out two fastest drivers no matter what they run.

mugler likes this.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 05:55 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
mugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

results @5:29 video post #2 ; Looks like Eric's RTRC took the W on that one.
mugler is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 06:06 PM
  #6  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
results @5:29 video post #2 ; Looks like Eric's RTRC took the W on that one.
October 30th is next practice. they try different things all night. Iíll be sure next time to get some specific of his car.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 PM
  #7  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 515
Default

I think someone tried to started a thread about this chassis a few days back but didnt get any response.

From billy's video, this chassis looks dailed. Wonder what kind of price is this chassis though. A GLR with brass plated will cost near 280 US .
zxcvb1t is offline  
Old 10-21-2020, 11:30 PM
  #8  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
I think someone tried to started a thread about this chassis a few days back but didnt get any response.
Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
From billy's video, this chassis looks dailed. Wonder what kind of price is this chassis though. A GLR with brass plated will cost near 280 US .
$350 for chassis. Around $550-600 to complete a build. Since there’s currently no upgrades, but I figured at the rate things are moving in this scale, within 3-6 months there will be

I talked to the owner tonight. At the next practice gonna do a video for it.

He’s considering adding a second. So now I’m considering his GLR.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 AM
  #9  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post

$350 for chassis. Around $550-600 to complete a build. Since thereís currently no upgrades, but I figured at the rate things are moving in this scale, within 3-6 months there will be

I talked to the owner tonight. At the next practice gonna do a video for it.

Heís considering adding a second. So now Iím considering his GLR.

The
The price is steep but understable. Afterall, the entire thing is basically machined, which involves alot of man hour and electricity bill.

I dont think he will need a lot of upgrades though, the chassis is well equipped, unlike GLR. The first thing to do with GLR is buying the brass lower deck and springs. Out of the box, it is quite twichy and unstable...
zxcvb1t is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM
  #10  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by zxcvb1t View Post
TheThe price is steep but understable. Afterall, the entire thing is basically machined, which involves alot of man hour and electricity bill.

I dont think he will need a lot of upgrades though, the chassis is well equipped, unlike GLR. The first thing to do with GLR is buying the brass lower deck and springs. Out of the box, it is quite twichy and unstable...
And as with most of these companies, itís probably a 1-2 person operation. Iíd consider buying one of his GLR since I know how well they are already setup.

I see two sides to these new chassis coming in. Good side, it could trigger a big surge in participation. Itís far simpler to start up a club at this scale then 1/10. The bad side is the cost. Iíve already watched probably close to a dozen skip over MiniZ and jump straight to GL. If fewer chose to run MiniZ, then the lower classes will either disappear or get overrun with high end cars. I know first hand how a Evo5600 struggles to compete with a basic 3500GL. Iíve even seen a 2500GL out preform it.
This would bump the entry cost to 1/10 range. And Iíve already watched far too many lose interest in 1/10 on road at the mention of a low price of $500. Now could be looking at $550 and up, way up to start in small scale.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 12:55 PM
  #11  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
mugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Upcoming RTA video of Sidewinderz is much appreciated.

As referenced for sure the simplicity of this car is the stand out feature given that its aimed to compete at the highest levels & to wether it can do that Next PNWC (arguably the most credible proving ground) is scheduled for April of 2021 if all goes well and its actually held will be interesting to see how this car does there, before that it's cool to follow club results.


Cost of "Race Grid" ready full option 28th scale 2WD within Kyosho ecosystem ( the costliest one) held steady for a long time at right around 55% of a race grid ready 1/12 scale equipped with best of the best however as of this year with the release of new kibbles & bits that gap has shrunk by over 10% now around 66% of a 1/12 scale car even with marginal price increases of a 1/12 scale kit ...ive been tracking this on a spreadsheet for a while.


For as long as I can remember high end on-road electric rc manufacturer's have aimed to sell lower number of cars & parts at the highest price possible vs trying to concern themselves with promoting higher number of participation to be able to get the price down (TCS is the only exception but its not high end racing per definition)...without being able to see everything behind the curtains one has to assume this model makes the most sense for them however I also been attending 10th scale tracks in SoCal since late 80's and the feeling one gets is either a non-existence of on-road rc racing or maybe only shadows of it left over after the RC days of current generation is behind them.
mugler is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 02:11 PM
  #12  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
Upcoming RTA video of Sidewinderz is much appreciated.

As referenced for sure the simplicity of this car is the stand out feature given that its aimed to compete at the highest levels & to wether it can do that Next PNWC (arguably the most credible proving ground) is scheduled for April of 2021 if all goes well and its actually held will be interesting to see how this car does there, before that it's cool to follow club results.


Cost of "Race Grid" ready full option 28th scale 2WD within Kyosho ecosystem ( the costliest one) held steady for a long time at right around 55% of a race grid ready 1/12 scale equipped with best of the best however as of this year with the release of new kibbles & bits that gap has shrunk by over 10% now around 66% of a 1/12 scale car even with marginal price increases of a 1/12 scale kit ...ive been tracking this on a spreadsheet for a while.


For as long as I can remember high end on-road electric rc manufacturer's have aimed to sell lower number of cars & parts at the highest price possible vs trying to concern themselves with promoting higher number of participation to be able to get the price down (TCS is the only exception but its not high end racing per definition)...without being able to see everything behind the curtains one has to assume this model makes the most sense for them however I also been attending 10th scale tracks in SoCal since late 80's and the feeling one gets is either a non-existence of on-road rc racing or maybe only shadows of it left over after the RC days of current generation is behind them.
The advantages of running a second hand race team. Other then my F1 cars GL and Associated) everything else is used.

I believe itís only legal in Mod/Open class for a PN event.

It would be a interesting to see actual sales numbers for something like an Xray.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM
  #13  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
mugler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,465
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

..
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
The advantages of running a second hand race team. Other then my F1 cars GL and Associated) everything else is used.
Used equipment is a great way to enter the hobby or a new class where it would otherwise be cost prohibitive ... in 10th scale specially, i suppose for podium level and up competition a fresh kit would eliminate any doubts about bent or worn out parts, fatigued chassis and alike.

I believe it’s only legal in Mod/Open class for a PN event.
RTRC has the option to get RTA homologated for GTLM SS class like GL did w/GLR but if it ends up running only in the open pan which is already allowed and does well there then like any car will do well with slower motors as well.

It would be a interesting to see actual sales numbers for something like an Xray.
For sure would be cool to know T4, X1 & X12 numbers....probably a well guarded company secret.
mugler is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 04:11 PM
  #14  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 13,921
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
..
Other then the year the PN race was in Wisconsin, Iíve never really looked at their class structure. At that time I really only had one class as an option. We had a number go, but a number didnít like their class structure. I believe itís been held overseas since. So havenít paid attention to it.
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 10-22-2020, 05:28 PM
  #15  
EMU
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
EMU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,349
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
The advantages of running a second hand race team. Other then my F1 cars GL and Associated) everything else is used.

I believe itís only legal in Mod/Open class for a PN event.

It would be a interesting to see actual sales numbers for something like an Xray.
I would expect that it will be homologated for Superstock as well.

I really like the front end on this car, the rear end I am not sold on yet. I know the side leaf design works, to an extent, from my time using it in F1 and on the MRCG... but there are drawbacks and lack of tuning options. I like to do a lot of tuning from the rear end with lateral and bump stiffness which I haven't seen much tuning ability outside of the disc damper and side plate options.

From what I have seen, the car does work quite well. It makes good traction in both the rear and the front. The MRCG suffered from rear steer under heavy loads with its side plate design, which we remedied with a central pin preloaded pivot. This locked in the rear pod and created a lot of traction, so much so that the coil over kingpin front suspension of the time couldn't keep up and it was an attempt to gain enough front traction without snap loss in the rear. I suspect that the front end on this car will overcome those shortcomings that the MRCG had in making enough front traction, and I would expect that the balance on this car is well thought out. The alu plate on the bottom of the rear pod will definitely help contribute to good rear traction in both low and higher speed corners.

overall the design looks quite promising. I haven't decided whether to add one to my fleet yet, mostly due to the entry cost, but it might just work its way in.
EMU is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.