When Li-ion is actually Li-po >

When Li-ion is actually Li-po

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fyrstormer

When Li-ion is actually Li-po

Old 08-15-2020, 06:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default When Li-ion is actually Li-po

Hi, the Rage R18MT Monster Truck comes with a "7.4V 850mAh 15C Li-ion" battery.

The shop that sold me the Ultra UP100AC to look after my batteries, told be to use the Li-Po setting to balance this particular battery.

I have read that A Li-Po cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7V, while for Li-ion it's 3.6.
Does this mean this 7.4V battery is really Li-Po, and not Li-ion?

Cheers.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The shape of that battery looks like two Li-Ion batteries more than a regular LiPo of similar size and capacity. Personally I would treat it as such just to be on the safe side. Can your charger charge Li-Ion batteries?
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LiPo is Li-Ion. The chemistry is the same. The only difference is whether the electrodes inside the battery are flexible or rigid. A 0.1v difference in voltage settings will have no meaningful effect.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Correct.

Li-ion and li-po are the same. Lithium Ion Polymer.

3.7 nominal is what they call HV or high voltage at this point.

HV gives you the ability to charge to 4.35V per cell instead of 4.2V. Same chemistry, just an evolution of it, so to speak.

Last edited by Carnage9270; 08-16-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

My charger seems to think Li-Ion batteries have a peak voltage of 4.1v, but I know from years of experience that the peak voltage for all Li-Ion batteries (except LiFePO4) is 4.2V, so I just use the LiPo charge setting for my cylindrical Li-Ion cells too.
Dave_S likes this.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

li-ion and lipo are not the same.. a li-ion is li-ion not lipo. there was a different in voltage a few years ago but that has changed they both charge to 4.2 volts a cell where the older li-ions only were safe at 4.1 volts.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
li-ion and lipo are not the same.. a li-ion is li-ion not lipo. there was a different in voltage a few years ago but that has changed they both charge to 4.2 volts a cell where the older li-ions only were safe at 4.1 volts.
"With gelled electrolyte added, what is the difference between a normal Li ion and Li ion polymer? As far as the user is concerned, lithium polymer is essentially the same as lithium-ion. Both systems use identical cathode and anode material and contain a similar amount of electrolyte.

Li-polymer is unique in that a micro porous electrolyte replaces the traditional porous separator. Li-polymer offers slightly higher specific energy and can be made thinner than conventional Li-ion, but the manufacturing cost is said to be higher than cylindrical design. For the purpose of discussion, pouch cells are often identified as being Li-polymer.

Li-polymer cells also come in a flexible foil-type case that resembles a food package. While a standard Li-ion needs a rigid case to press the electrodes together, Li-polymer uses laminated sheets that do not need compression. A foil-type enclosure reduces the weight by more than 20 percent over the classic hard shell. Thin film technology liberates the design as the battery can be made into any shape, fitting neatly into stylish mobile phones and tablet. Li-polymer can also be made very slim to resemble a credit card (See Pouch Cell.) Light weight and high specific power make Li-polymer the preferred choice for hobbyists.

Charge and discharge characteristics of Li-polymer are identical to other Li-ion systems and do not require a dedicated charger. Safety issues are also similar in that protection circuits are needed. Gas buildup during charge can cause some prismatic and pouch cells to swell, and equipment manufacturers must make allowances for expansion. Li-polymer in a foil package may be less durable than Li-ion in the cylindrical package."
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
I have rigid rectangular Li-Ion batteries from 20 years ago that are rated at 3.7V nominal, and read 4.2V when fully charged in their dedicated chargers. Granted, they don't hold much charge anymore due to their age, but their peak voltage is nonetheless 4.2V.