GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Class testing

Old 01-27-2020, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally got a chance to drop the NorCal GLF package of parts and tune into my own GLF and give it a go last weekend. Very pleased to report that for the first time the car worked great! tracking straight and very stable in turns and plush over bumps. I botched tire testing by truing some 21 degrees too much and ending up with off the chart oversteering and now just hoping i can bring them back to range with some lengthy breaking in by just driving them or use of sand paper later but for this session ended up using the 10Rs/23Fs. If anything I was looking for more steering specially off power and to a lesser degree on power. With a GL3500 @ 10/53 even though i ended up turning it up on the esc and completely shutting off drag brakes i still found the car slowing down too much when letting go of the throttle, iim guessing some of it might be because of the relatively small pinion. For next time among other tuning options Im thinking even more rear droop via top shock, replacing front brass wing mount with plastic to centralize the weight for more steering & a bigger pinion in the hopes of less drag effect.

My solo best lap time with the GLF was a single 5.5 with super consistent 5.6-7s but once done i whipped out a couple of trusty Kyosho F1's both with 50T motors geared at 53/10 and did 3 full packs worth of fun battle laps with a track buddy ... the Kyosho's did 5.2's for fastest lap with a lot of under 5.5 laps for both of us. I think the GLF was just under geared a bit but the main point is I believe the two chassis will do great battling next to each other just like they did in last years Midwest race.

BTW got the rims to allow kyosho tires on GLF's but for whatever reason no joy testing them, somehow they'd not work at all this time. My best random guess is the combination of Brand new Front and rear tires on a track with coarse dusty particles was not a good combo but also could be the extra meat was not hitting the right balance for the GLF WB and width dimensions. . The same tires broken in and used on the Kyosho f1s were totally hooked up. Will get in some more testing with the bigger rims and tires next time to see if I can end up with a different result.
EMU and art4242 like this.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Has anybody had luck with getting a replacement part through GL? I bought one of their sensored esc's for my F1 but a couple weeks ago it stopped working. It will not power on at all. I have sent them 2 messages through their website and one through FB and have not got a response back.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:34 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MTseo View Post
Has anybody had luck with getting a replacement part through GL? I bought one of their sensored esc's for my F1 but a couple weeks ago it stopped working. It will not power on at all. I have sent them 2 messages through their website and one through FB and have not got a response back.
they are normally excellent with the service. With the Chinese new year holiday ending yesterday, I would think they should get back to you Monday. If not, let me know and i'll see what I can do.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
they are normally excellent with the service. With the Chinese new year holiday ending yesterday, I would think they should get back to you Monday. If not, let me know and i'll see what I can do.
Thanks EMU I didn't realize they were still celebrating the new year. That is probably the reason they are not responding.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Thanks EMU I didn't realize they were still celebrating the new year. That is probably the reason they are not responding.
That virus also has a lot of business altering the hours. On top of the New year celebrations. I know the CarismaRC put a post about purchases might be long the usually fit shipping
Old 02-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

I had a message off Candy @ GL last week and he stated they were currently closed but would send out my replacement part next week when back to work! I guess he might of just been keeping ontop of a few emails etc so sure heíll work his way through them and sort your issue out asap

I did generally enquire and check they are all ok and he did state so far in HK they havenít really been affected (work wise)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

They messaged me this morning through FB and told me to get in touch with my local GL dealer.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 AM
Tech Adept

They messaged me this morning through FB and told me to get in touch with my local GL dealer.
microrcsyndicate.com is taking care of the bad esc for me. He is an easy guy to work with.
EMU likes this.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Report on GLF test & Tune session from Saturday on the “rough” side of RCP.

Start of the day my GL 3500kv equipped GLF was being easily outpaced by a 50T kyosho F1 piloted by another mini-z veteran.
Swapped out the R10’s for the new 05’s but the GT version ( gif version on the way) and the fronts eventually from 23 to 25’s and played a whole bunch w/esc settings softening the acceleration and taking out most of the drag brake. also at some point maxed out rear droop on top shock and went back to plastic front wing mount vs brass… by this point the handling was predictably fast everywhere and the kyosho F1 had no longer any chance of keeping up with my GLF !

Also finally was able to put on the big KF1 tires & this time noticing and eliminating the pinion to tire contact which I did not realize in a previous test session. Marka V10 kF1 tires in the back / PN Ks Med fronts & dropped the ride height on the chassis to the minimum possible to compensate for the larger diameter kF1 tire sizes but even doing so the ride height was pretty tall..holy moly! the car was even faster than the 05/25 combo and much more aggressive on the turns except end of the straightaway which was not a sweeper but a 90 degree turn, it felt had to do with tire side walls and maybe since i didnt tape the tires to rims…in this one section the smaller GL 25’s were just a little smoother but pretty sure it is rectifiable with the big tires. To my amazement all of this testing was done with a bent axle tip on the spur side which I noticed early on but decided to run with it since it wasn’t too big of a deal but logically car should be better with a healthy axle.

Next test will be with new PN fat pan rears and fronts once available. the advantage to those would be the correct lower ride height and of course 14mm rear rubber.
As of this moment I think the new GLF 05 rears with either 25 or 23’s will be more than good enough in the performance department for clubs & venues who want to stick with the original package and look.
For reference the rest of the set up is a copy of Arthur’s set up including brass plates and down to the shims and springs.
EMU, art4242 and MTseo like this.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Great feedback. Love to hear the development process you are going through. I have not had my car on track since Detroit in November. Having very limited track time lately, every time I get on track I need to work on my cars for the upcoming PN race so no time for F1.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:00 PM
Tech Prophet

I’m hoping we finally get our class going. Been waiting too long.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Great feedback. Love to hear the development process you are going through. I have not had my car on track since Detroit in November. Having very limited track time lately, every time I get on track I need to work on my cars for the upcoming PN race so no time for F1.
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I’m hoping we finally get our class going. Been waiting too long.
To those points wether test & tuning or racing I just feel GLF is more of a "the only car for the day" type of platform vs say MR/PN based cars which wrangling 3 or even more on same day is still manageable...F1 only days would go well with GLF class kinda akin to now famous 10th scale UF1 Series race days.

Couple of the more noteworthy points that got unsaid in my first post was lubing the dry side shocks ( i had kysoho 5k[five k] gel handy) and top shock ( kyosho 15k gel) and no other changes during that particular pit visit made an eye-popping difference in handling. I was going to lube the front shocks at some stage to see if similar would be the case but got lazy after seeing the work involved and still had a bunch of other things to test.

Secondly the front the droop screws were all the way backed out and pretty good preload on springs to get the right tension. This resulted in lower arms pointing downwards and a pretty tall front ride height. I think one can easily burn away half a track day verifying if the bottom arms can be more flattened via droop screws and still get the right spring tension and a more correct/lower front height and then see how the driving goes compared with droop screws all the way backed out...this may or may not be a key to a performance leap...if anyones played with that already would love to hear about it.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by mugler View Post
To those points wether test & tuning or racing I just feel GLF is more of a "the only car for the day" type of platform vs say MR/PN based cars which wrangling 3 or even more on same day is still manageable...F1 only days would go well with GLF class kinda akin to now famous 10th scale UF1 Series race days.

Couple of the more noteworthy points that got unsaid in my first post was lubing the dry side shocks ( i had kysoho 5k[five k] gel handy) and top shock ( kyosho 15k gel) and no other changes during that particular pit visit made an eye-popping difference in handling. I was going to lube the front shocks at some stage to see if similar would be the case but got lazy after seeing the work involved and still had a bunch of other things to test.

Secondly the front the droop screws were all the way backed out and pretty good preload on springs to get the right tension. This resulted in lower arms pointing downwards and a pretty tall front ride height. I think one can easily burn away half a track day verifying if the bottom arms can be more flattened via droop screws and still get the right spring tension and a more correct/lower front height and then see how the driving goes compared with droop screws all the way backed out...this may or may not be a key to a performance leap...if anyones played with that already would love to hear about it.
Iíve not followed the UF1 thing close. Itís seems to be a West coast thing. When we run it. It will be just part of the dayís schedule. Just need a few more to finally finish their cars.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
I’ve not followed the UF1 thing close. It’s seems to be a West coast thing. When we run it. It will be just part of the day’s schedule. Just need a few more to finally finish their cars.
i totally get that and most likely when we eventually run F1 ( plan is to run after RCX) initially it will almost certainly be on race days with other classes running...my plan for those occasions will be only to mess with tires and ESC/Tx settings, any adjustments on the springs/knuckles/toe etc on race days for me anyways would be near impossible given the limited pre-race practice time which gets split between all cars & short breaks between heats and rounds. in an F1 ideal environment with only F1 cars for the day i can see making more adjustments from round to round in search of improvements...this also is what happens on UF1 days vs club racing F1 cars with other classes. anyway all that is nothing but out-loud thinking on my part , i'm sure you guys will enjoy your GLF class.

One F! class development advice i have in general would be to be patient and not give up before knocking out some kinks and figuring the set up puzzle which comes with every F1 platform in any scale...the reward at the end is more than worth the journey...I noticed also some drivers expect F1's to run like their GT cars , thats missing the point running the class in the first place imo and usually what stops people mid-way going through the tuning process and giving up..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.