Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree285Likes

GL Racing GLF F1 Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Had another thought about it. I believe it will stay most local thing. I don’t see PN adding it to there event. I really can’t see Kyosho having it at their. Which, unless, GL starts hosting their own races. Kinda leaves it on its own.
For Your info, if GL sponsor properly, PN will make a category for them... This year in Asia we race AWD, something that PN does not even look at.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by art4242
Sorry to hear that. I think that the fit of the carbon into the wing depends a lot on the particular printer, material, and print settings you are using.

The exact outline of the first few layers of the material can be variable due to squishing on the build plate and if there's glue stick/tape/etc. on the build plate.

I designed them so they fit well when printed on my printer using PLA, even then I occasionally need to clean up the edges that fit near the carbon with a knife for a good fit.
perfect explanation, my are on PLA too, and shave a bit the edge. Works great and reduce a lot breakage.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EvilR2.0
After purchasing a GLA and really liking the fit and feel I was looking at the GLF as an option but concerned about durability given is also class myself as an average racer.

The Le Mans body teaser pic GL released had me interested but then part of me thinks of I was to go that route I might as well get the GLR

Do you see these F1’s becoming a solid class or a but of a niche one?
Honestly i do not see all this durability problem. I have 3 of them, me, my 8 years old son and my 10 years old Daughter. My son start to be a decent driver, but my daughter just start. I consider myself and average racer, nothing compare with the big guys, but i can go quite fast. I only broke ones the steering, my daughter and son, nothing at all... but i run the 3D wing of art4242, to me has been rocket solid.

Maybe is just luck, but man, sometimes we crash hard, or against each other but i found durability of my GLFs not an issue at all.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

Even using the roller wings our group has had a few broken parts. I've broken the carbon wing once, another racer broke two carbons (in back to back races!), and another broke the plastic front wing mount. I think if you hit a corner just right the rollers don't roll and the wing takes the entire perpendicular load and the weakest point breaks. Not quite sure how to address this, I think the best bet would be a larger carbon piece with more material around the screw holes, in conjunction with the alu or brass wing mount. In the meantime I've stocked up on spare carbons.

We have not broken any servo links yet though.
Do not use All or brass wing mount, it is what help carbon breakage... been there, done that, after back to plastic wing mount, did not break one yet... but i stock them as well ;-).
Old 12-13-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lore
For Your info, if GL sponsor properly, PN will make a category for them... This year in Asia we race AWD, something that PN does not even look at.
I honestly have no interest in the big events.

I just know a few that didn’t go to the PN event last year because how how strict they were with non PN cars.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
I honestly have no interest in the big events.

I just know a few that didn’t go to the PN event last year because how how strict they were with non PN cars.
I personally did 2 PN Asia Cap, and honestly as long as you follow rules, they have no issues... this year at the PN World Cap GL won Super Stock, GT mod and they did not had any problem with it...

Honestly nice guys, can't say nothing bad about them... i just love GL.. hahaha
Old 12-14-2019, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After getting my glr done built and running now I'm looking to get the glf. Is there any issue with servos stripping out because of the open wheels. After seeing the crashes some have had in videos durability of the wings is no longer that much of a concern but just the servo is the last thing is I'm concerned about being I've heard people going threw 3 servos in a gla because it strips out from impact.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scionara05
After getting my glr done built and running now I'm looking to get the glf. Is there any issue with servos stripping out because of the open wheels. After seeing the crashes some have had in videos durability of the wings is no longer that much of a concern but just the servo is the last thing is I'm concerned about being I've heard people going threw 3 servos in a gla because it strips out from impact.
to be honest, I changed many servos on my GLA, but so far, the only thing I replace on my GLF is the servo saver as the plastic cap wear off...

this is my experience and I have put at least 2,000 laps on this car
Scionara05 likes this.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

No servos broken yet or links yet, our group has been running the roller wings.

Reports from those not running the roller wings that they had broken steering links, but a new steering link was just released which should address that.

Also reports that the fit of the servo saver horn onto the servo has been a loose (plastic splined portion of the servo saver).
Old 12-15-2019, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No servos broken yet or links yet, our group has been running the roller wings.

Reports from those not running the roller wings that they had broken steering links, but a new steering link was just released which should address that.

Also reports that the fit of the servo saver horn onto the servo has been a loose (plastic splined portion of the servo saver).
dont mind me asking but wats a roller wing
Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Tech Prophet

dont mind me asking but wats a roller wing

From the Tamiya micro. Some use them to prevent the wing from snagging on the side rails. There’s another that uses a bearing on the side of the wing.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Prophet

I’m getting this one made. Friend of my boss offered. He just got a 3D printer and was looking for projects to try.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2500kv motors

Our group decided to all switch over to 2500kv motors for our race last weekend to standardize on power. Previously between us we were running 4 different 3500kv motors (GL non-sensored, GL sensored, PN V2, PN V3.1) and there were some differences in power.

Surprisingly the cars still felt pretty quick, I was thinking they would be about 70T NiMH speed but they felt faster than that. For reference they were only about 2-3 tenths slower than our 3500kv lithium 10/53 super stock cars on an 8 second lap. I felt the 2500kv was a better match to the car where the 3500kv tended to overwhelm the rear end at least on my setup. Power was dead even between all of us which led to some very close racing. With the 2500kv motor and some setup changes (added some toe in and trued the fronts down to 23.0mm) my car felt the best that it's been on the larger club track.

mugler, EMU and MTseo like this.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the video power delivery of the 2500 looks to be on the money!

A general observation from my own very limited testing with 3500 motors the GLF's tires w/smaller diameter and width compared to Kyosho F1's have a lower threshold for application of horsepower so makes sense as mentioned the 2500 being a better choice. Just for kicks I expect (waiting on delivery of wheels discovered by a forum member here) to be doing some back to back testing with Kyosho size tires for comparison with GLF tires to see how true this is but with my discontinued Kyosho F1's that I have even 43T motors are pretty drivable on smaller tracks ( only if the every single steering knuckle wasn't bent LoL).
EMU and art4242 like this.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Tech Prophet

From Friday night. Out of practice with it. Looks better this morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.